Finished with 11th grade!

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
My youngest son and I just finished his 11th grade year! :D One more year to go...

We took him out of Christian school at the end of fifth grade and haven't regretted it for a moment. That's not to say, though, that it's all been roses. It's probably a good thing that he challenges me the way he does because I don't think I'll have a particularly hard time at the end of next year, getting sentimental about it being the end of my homeschool experience! Seriously though, my fervent prayer is that I have prepared him for what comes next.

Next year we'll cover Philosophy, Economics, Government and whatever reading I want him to have under his belt, which is looking like a lot. We've decided to let him take a couple of classes at the local junior college. He can take a maximum of 12 units for $1 per unit and get both high school and college credit. We'll probably be able to take advantage of online classes so he may not even have to be on campus right away.

Anyone else enroll their high schooler for concurrent college credit?

Last edited:

elohiym

Congratulations!

Our oldest is in fourth grade, so can't give you any insight into the junior college experience for homeschoolers. We plan to do the same with our children when they are ready.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
My youngest son and I just finished his 11th grade year! :D One more year to go...

We took him out of Christian school at the end of fifth grade and haven't regretted it for a moment. That's not to say, though, that it's all been roses. It's probably a good thing that he challenges me the way he does because I don't think I'll have a particularly hard time at the end of next year, getting sentimental about it being the end of my homeschool experience! Seriously though, my fervent prayer is that I have prepared him for what comes next.

Next year we'll cover Philosophy, Economics, Government and whatever reading I want him to have under his belt, which is looking like a lot. We're decided to let him take a couple of classes at the local junior college. He can take a maximum of 12 units for $1 per unit and get both high school and college credit. We'll probably be able to take advantage of online classes so he may not even have to be on campus right away.

Congratulations to you both! :)

We've done the concurrent credit - shoot me a PM and I'll give you more info.

Sheila B

Hi! Yes, my daughter (I also took her out in 5th grade) took Spanish at the local community college. There were a few other homeschoolers in the class, along with older people. It worked very well. She may have taken more, I'll have to ask her.

You wonder if you have prepared him for life? You have often heard about the worry of their being socialized properly? My experience has been that we gave a gift that only the very wealthy in past generations could afford: one on one tutoring. And when done by parents, it is beyond price. You will see. Strength of character, able to read between the lines of our dizzy culture, the choice of friends who are of a same mind, the ability to research and find things out without direction, I could go on and on.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Hi! Yes, my daughter (I also took her out in 5th grade) took Spanish at the local community college. There were a few other homeschoolers in the class, along with older people. It worked very well. She may have taken more, I'll have to ask her.

You wonder if you have prepared him for life? You have often heard about the worry of their being socialized properly? My experience has been that we gave a gift that only the very wealthy in past generations could afford: one on one tutoring. And when done by parents, it is beyond price. You will see. Strength of character, able to read between the lines of our dizzy culture, the choice of friends who are of a same mind, the ability to research and find things out without direction, I could go on and on.

Thank you for your encouraging post! ;)