Have you thought about the Sermon on the Mount recently?

rondonn

Here is an attempt at a brief summary:

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who bear insults, exclusion, and even hate because of me. Great is your reward in heaven. The prophets of old were also persecuted, and just like them you will find your reward. The pure in heart will see God and the peacemakers will be called the Sons of God. You are the light of the world, so let your light shine to bring praise to your Father in heaven.

I have not come to abolish the commandments, but to fulfill the law. To be called great in the kingdom, your righteousness must surpass that of the teachers of the law. You have heard it said - do not murder. But I say - do not be angry. Resolve disputes quickly. If someone strikes you, steals from you, or moves you by force, don't resist. But rather, give them even more than they demanded. In everything, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This sums up the law and the prophets. And don't be like the hypocrites who do things so that others may see them. Your Father can see everything you do, so in giving or fasting or prayer, do it privately without making a show.

Be perfect, just as you Father in heaven is perfect. Anyone can love those who are good to them, and lend to those who repay them. But your heavenly Father is good to both the ungrateful and the wicked. So to be the sons of your Father in heaven, love your enemies and give without expecting repayment.

Don't try to store up treasures on earth. The birds of the air and lilies of the field don't toil and spin. Are you not worth more than them? So don't worry about food, clothes and money. Your life is more important than things. But rather, store up for yourself treasures in heaven. Simply seek his kingdom first, and all the rest will be given to you. The eye is the lamp of the body. If that lamp within you is good, your whole body will be full of light. If it is dark, how great is that darkness!

Ask and it will be given. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door will be opened to you. Enter in through the narrow gate. Broad is the road that leads to destruction, and narrow is the road that leads to life. Only a few find it. Not everyone who says to me "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only those who do the will of my Father. And beware of false prophets. They come in sheep's clothing but inside are like ferocious wolves. A tree is known by its fruit, so by their fruits you shall know them.

Those who hear these words of mine and put them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on a rock. The floods came and the torrents struck, but the house stood firm. But those who hear my words and do not put them into practice is like a man who built his house on the sand. The floods came and the torrents struck and it fell with a mighty crash.

-- The traditional presentation starts in Matthew 5:1, and or Luke 6:7--

Robert Pate

Banned
Here is an attempt at a brief summary:

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who bear insults, exclusion, and even hate because of me. Great is your reward in heaven. The prophets of old were also persecuted, and just like them you will find your reward. The pure in heart will see God and the peacemakers will be called the Sons of God. You are the light of the world, so let your light shine to bring praise to your Father in heaven.

I have not come to abolish the commandments, but to fulfill the law. To be called great in the kingdom, your righteousness must surpass that of the teachers of the law. You have heard it said - do not murder. But I say - do not be angry. Resolve disputes quickly. If someone strikes you, steals from you, or moves you by force, don't resist. But rather, give them even more than they demanded. In everything, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This sums up the law and the prophets. And don't be like the hypocrites who do things so that others may see them. Your Father can see everything you do, so in giving or fasting or prayer, do it privately without making a show.

Be perfect, just as you Father in heaven is perfect. Anyone can love those who are good to them, and lend to those who repay them. But your heavenly Father is good to both the ungrateful and the wicked. So to be the sons of your Father in heaven, love your enemies and give without expecting repayment.

Don't try to store up treasures on earth. The birds of the air and lilies of the field don't toil and spin. Are you not worth more than them? So don't worry about food, clothes and money. Your life is more important than things. But rather, store up for yourself treasures in heaven. Simply seek his kingdom first, and all the rest will be given to you. The eye is the lamp of the body. If that lamp within you is good, your whole body will be full of light. If it is dark, how great is that darkness!

Ask and it will be given. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door will be opened to you. Enter in through the narrow gate. Broad is the road that leads to destruction, and narrow is the road that leads to life. Only a few find it. Not everyone who says to me "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only those who do the will of my Father. And beware of false prophets. They come in sheep's clothing but inside are like ferocious wolves. A tree is known by its fruit, so by their fruits you shall know them.

Those who hear these words of mine and put them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on a rock. The floods came and the torrents struck, but the house stood firm. But those who hear my words and do not put them into practice is like a man who built his house on the sand. The floods came and the torrents struck and it fell with a mighty crash.

-- The traditional presentation starts in Matthew 5:1, and or Luke 6:7--

The Sermon on the Mount is a beautiful picture of the righteousness of God, It is the law of God magnified.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
OP: "Have you thought about the Sermon on the Mount recently?"

Yep!

Psa 37:1 A Psalm of David. Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
Psa 37:2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.
Psa 37:3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

Psa 37:9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
Psa 37:10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
Psa 37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Psa 37:22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.

Psa 37:29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.

Psa 37:34 Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.

Ben Masada

Yes I have, by the way, and I found out two things interesting: First that Jesus delivered that sermon to a multitude of Jews if you read the beginning in Mat. 5:1 and the end in Mat. 7:28,29. And for the second thing in Mat. 5:11 when Jesus said to the Jews, "Blessed are you when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake." I think Jesus was predicting the Jewish persecutions by means of pogroms, blood libels, Crusades, Inquisition and, last but not least, the Holocaust. Persecutions that resulted in millions of Jewish casualties.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Yep!

Psa 37:1 A Psalm of David. Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
Psa 37:2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.
Psa 37:3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

Psa 37:9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
Psa 37:10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
Psa 37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Psa 37:22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.

Psa 37:29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.

Psa 37:34 Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.
We often make the fundamental mistake of seeing the revenge fantasies of the Psalms as excusing our own revenge and scapegoating.

These Psalms were written IN HISTORY when the Jews were suffering under foreign rule.

Jesus spoke in REAL HISTORY too. He preached of a Kingdom of God where God sat on the throne instead of Caesar.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I have seen again and again the results of a Christianity when its members do not take Jesus's actual ethical teachings seriously.

heir

TOL Subscriber
I have seen again and again the results of a Christianity when its members do not take Jesus's actual ethical teachings seriously.
I have seen again and again the results of churchianity taking what the Lord was saying as a minister of the Circumcision unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel to whom He was sent as being to us. :nono:

Ben Masada

Perhaps the reason is because you don't know that Jesus was a Jew whose Faith was Judaism and he never had any thing to do with Christianity. Paul yes, and Christians do take Paul's actual ethical teachings seriously.

rondonn

Yes, I understand and appreciate this very thougtful reply, but I am thinking that there must have been more than the ethical teachings that we find in this Sermon on the Mount. I don't know how a person can go through a radical change through ethical teachings.

Do you think there was more that we just don't know about?

I have heard that some spiritual teachers say things in public and also give out things privately. The private things would be key to making the big transformation.

Otherwise, the Sermon on the Mount appears to be just too difficult to live up to!

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Yes I have, by the way, and I found out two things interesting: First that Jesus delivered that sermon to a multitude of Jews if you read the beginning in Mat. 5:1 and the end in Mat. 7:28,29. And for the second thing in Mat. 5:11 when Jesus said to the Jews, "Blessed are you when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake." I think Jesus was predicting the Jewish persecutions by means of pogroms, blood libels, Crusades, Inquisition and, last but not least, the Holocaust. Persecutions that resulted in millions of Jewish casualties.

The Sermon on the amount is a bad name for it!

Here is what it should be called:
"The Messiah's interpretation of the righteous standards of the Law of Moses in contradistinction with that of the Pharisees."

Furthermore the house built on sand is phsrasaic Judaism while the house on the Rock is upon the teachings of Yeshua.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Yes, I understand and appreciate this very thougtful reply, but I am thinking that there must have been more than the ethical teachings that we find in this Sermon on the Mount. I don't know how a person can go through a radical change through ethical teachings.

Do you think there was more that we just don't know about?

I have heard that some spiritual teachers say things in public and also give out things privately. The private things would be key to making the big transformation.

Otherwise, the Sermon on the Mount appears to be just too difficult to live up to!

What Yeshua is teaching here (by the way the people we are told understood him clearly) is the failure of pharisaic Judaism to meet the righteous standards inwardly of the 613 provisions of the Law of Moses. Outwardly the Pharisees claimed holiness but inwardly they failed to meet the intent of the law which was true holiness and righteousness. Paul a former teacher of the law went on to teach that the law was NEVER intended to produce individual righteousness something that the Pharisees refused to admit. The Law of Moses is very interesting since saved people were required to keep the provisions which were utterly impossible. Yet God gave this to Israel for us all to see our need for redemption thru the final sacrifice of the Messiah. John said that He took away sin whereas animal sacrifices merely covered sin.

Paul taught that Old Testament saints were kept in a state of spiritual immaturity because of the law. Then he says we are to "put on Messiah" like an adult toga. The adulthood of the individual was recognized once the father placed the toga on him. Have you put on Messiah? I have.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Law of Moses is very interesting since saved people were required to keep the provisions which were utterly impossible.

Not so.

The Law of Moses was able to be kept.

None could keep it perfectly, thus the provision of sacrifice for sin.

Eph 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
Eph 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
Eph 6:3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

The law of Moses is quoted by most all writers of the NT.

Jesus never changed the law, and men of faith kept it.

It was the changing of the law and the way in which the unbeliever tried to keep it which Christ condemned.

Rom 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

LA