Hi all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alate_One

Soo I've already posted around a bit but I thought I'd introduce myself more formally. I'm a Christian and scientist (no, not Christian scientist). I've spent the last 8 years of my life in a lab doing research, writing and reading papers, attending class, lectures and conferences etc. I'm currently in the process of moving more towards teaching, so my natural inclination may be to explain a bit too much at times. In any case I'm sure I still need plenty of practice, explaining, discussing and understanding the points of view of others.

I grew up in various small Baptist churches in the Midwest, having memorized Bible verses and saved at the age of three (dunno how many of you are going to take issue with that). My favorite church was my old GARBC baptist church which went from approximately a dozen people to a few thousand in the space of about seven years. I miss my old pastor terribly, everyone else I've visited of late just doesn't have the same fire or depth of knowledge.

I was a young earth creationist for many years, reading copious amounts of creationist literature. After attending college, and most especially graduate school I began to find the creationist position to be untenable as I was forced to try and fit every new paper or class time into a YEC framework. I got very tired of doing it, but my belief in the truth of the gospel was and is completely separate from the issue of the Genesis creation story. Eventually I came to the realization that even people like St. Augustine thought that the genesis story was not necessarily a literal 7 days. I've been learning a lot about the cultural settings of all of Genesis and have been continually impressed with the differences between modern culture and the beauty of the Biblical story of God acting in the lives of men.

Oh dear I've gone on rather long . . .anyway I hope to have good discussions with all of you and show that not all scientists are evil atheists.

Also you guys have the most impressive list of emoticons I've ever seen. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Alate_One said:
Also you guys have the most impressive list of emoticons I've ever seen.

...we're very expressive people. :think:

Better Alate_One than never, I always say (though until now no one really understood what I meant by it).

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas es! (Gotta love Bacon...:chew:)

Oh, and welcome. :e4e:

keypurr

Welcome to the funny farm.
Everyone expresses their thoughts. Whatever yours are, are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.