Theology Club: John 6:64

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I reckon that Jesus was just very wise and discerning of peoples manners and thoughts. After all, he of all people must know what his own followers are like. I reckon that he saw through the shallow believers the minute he met them.

Reading John 6:64 can lead to this interpretation or your interpretation or perhaps some others. It neither aids nor abets the open perspective on things. I would not use this passage to say "Therefore the open view is true."

I wouldn't use any passage to show that the open view was true. What one should do is properly explain the meaning of the passage as far as it was clear and show whether it was consistent or not with one's view (whatever that is). People who use the Bible to prove their point of view are often just abusing the text.

It's a bit like the scientific method: an observation that conforms to some theory is not a proof of the theory, merely evidence of it. Proof doesn't exist. Proof does of course exist in other realms, particularly in logic. And whilst most statements of belief are generalisations and have exceptions or are subjective or are relative, it is possible for absolutely true statements to be made. I am not denying that. I am not denying that any doctrine can be true. I am just affirming that in accordance with openness theology, absolute statements, (or doctrines) particularly about the nature of God are not the primary focus of Biblical Christianity and that useful theologies ought rather to focus on relationships and ethics.

Last edited:

BrianJOrr

FYI: None of my questions here are laced with sarcasm. I seek clarification. Thanks

I wouldn't use any passage to show that the open view was true. What one should do is properly explain the meaning of the passage as far as it was clear and show whether it was consistent or not with one's view (whatever that is). People who use the Bible to prove their point of view are often just abusing the text.

Desert Reign: So, it sounds like the meaning of the text than is relative, for one can give a meaning to it, as long as it's consistent with one's view . . . whatever that is? So, no true, objective meaning just whatever it means to you.

But in your last paragraph, you say that absolutes can be made, pointing to relational and ethical theologies [you made an 'ought' statment].

Am I getting that correct? Who is to say if one is not consistent in one's understanding if the Bible is not used? For example, one can see clearly in Scripture that it is correct to go stone an adulterer to death, for it aligns with the interpreters view, and so seeking to be consistent, one does so. Who is to say that that person is wrong if we don't use the Bible and proper context to make a correction in his understanding? He might find it consistent to live in an OT context, similar to theonomy, and enforce OT law.

It's a bit like the scientific method: an observation that conforms to some theory is not a proof of the theory, merely evidence of it. Proof doesn't exist. Proof does of course exist in other realms, particularly in logic.
And whilst most statements of belief are generalisations and have exceptions or are subjective or are relative, it is possible for absolutely true statements to be made. I am not denying that. I am not denying that any doctrine can be true.

Your section below is helpful.

So, the OV perfers to not make absolute doctrinal statements about the nature of God but make absolute 'ought' [I believe an 'ought' statement is an absolute statement, so correct me if that is not what you are implying] theologies on relationships and ethics?

I am just affirming that in accordance with openness theology, absolute statements, (or doctrines) particularly about the nature of God are not the primary focus of Biblical Christianity and that useful theoligies ought rather to focus on relationships and ethics.

Thanks

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure the "knew" implies specific, personal (fore)knowledge.

Assuming that it isn't the case - and then building a theology around that sort of assumption - to me seems dangerous.
I'm not assuming anything. Do you actually want the Scriptures or are you arrogant?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by TIPlatypus View Post
I reckon that Jesus was just very wise and discerning of peoples manners and thoughts. After all, he of all people must know what his own followers are like. I reckon that he saw through the shallow believers the minute he met them.

Reading John 6:64 can lead to this interpretation or your interpretation or perhaps some others. It neither aids nor abets the open perspective on things. I would not use this passage to say "Therefore the open view is true."

It's a bit like the scientific method: an observation that conforms to some theory is not a proof of the theory, merely evidence of it. Proof doesn't exist. Proof does of course exist in other realms, particularly in logic. And whilst most statements of belief are generalisations and have exceptions or are subjective or are relative, it is possible for absolutely true statements to be made. I am not denying that. I am not denying that any doctrine can be true. I am just affirming that in accordance with openness theology, absolute statements, (or doctrines) particularly about the nature of God are not the primary focus of Biblical Christianity and that useful theologies ought rather to focus on relationships and ethics.

great points ! -

View attachment 19494

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Desert Reign: So, it sounds like the meaning of the text than is relative, for one can give a meaning to it, as long as it's consistent with one's view . . . whatever that is? So, no true, objective meaning just whatever it means to you.

As previously stated, the meaning of a text is determined by itself. It is not relative to the reader.

But in your last paragraph, you say that absolutes can be made, pointing to relational and ethical theologies [you made an 'ought' statment].
What I said is true. It is logically provable that absolute truth exists. Whether some particular statement is absolutely true or not can only be determined by a particular examination of that statement.

Who is to say if one is not consistent in one's understanding if the Bible is not used?
The first test to apply to any theological system is its own internal coherence. If it is incoherent then you don't go any further. A system for example that says that God is both spirit and matter at the same time AND that spirit and matter cannot exist together is incoherent.

The second test is to ask if it is rational. This means does it make sense in the real world? An example would be a theological system the consequence of which is a requirement on its members to put themselves voluntarily and arbitrarily in unusual danger is irrational.

The third test is to ask if the theological system is realistic. This means testing to see if belief in the system necessarily brings about some change to the way its adherent lives. By this I mean that the change must be demanded as a logical consequence of belief, not merely as a voluntary choice of the adherent. For example, the belief that a supreme being created the world and then let the world carry on without further involvement, by definition does not demand any particular course of action on the part of the believer.

When these tests have been done and the theological system has survived, then and only then it is appropriate to test to see if it is Biblical. This means that it should be consistent with the proper meaning of the text.

For example, one can see clearly in Scripture that it is correct to go stone an adulterer to death, for it aligns with the interpreters view, and so seeking to be consistent, one does so. Who is to say that that person is wrong if we don't use the Bible and proper context to make a correction in his understanding? He might find it consistent to live in an OT context, similar to theonomy, and enforce OT law.
You are asking a hypothetical question. The true (and obvious) meaning of the texts you are referring to is that the national (theocratic) laws of ancient Israel required punishment of stoning for adulterers. What you say

see clearly in Scripture that it is correct to go stone an adulterer to death,
goes well beyond the proper meaning of the text.

Your section below is helpful.

So, the OV perfers to not make absolute doctrinal statements about the nature of God but make absolute 'ought' [I believe an 'ought' statement is an absolute statement, so correct me if that is not what you are implying] theologies on relationships and ethics?
No. That is not what I said. But you can see an example of New Testament ethical principles in the church's declaration that non-Jews need not be circumcised and only 'should' abstain from eating blood, fornication, etc. together with a contextual reason explaining the exhortation in verse 21. It depends on exactly what we mean by 'absolute'. In terms of ethics, what is often meant by that is there is some ethical rule ('moral') that originates outside the created world and which must be obeyed for that reason. Openness doesn't teach this (at least not my version). What I teach is that right and wrong are determined by the context of each action, which is an analogous principle to the way Biblical hermeneutics (indeed all hermeneutics) should be done. My comments to The Incredible Platypus about absolute statements were intended as a concession because it would not be logically tenable to assert truthfully that no statements are absolutely true as that would be self-defeating. It doesn't change the fact that openness is about relationships, not about doctrinal statements (or absolute ethical rules). Openness steers away from doctrinal statements in the same way and for the same reason as it steers away from absolute moral rules.

If you want a text that is consistent with this point of view you need only look at Paul's teaching that the letter of the law kills. Once you make a law, you divorce the principle of the law from its context. You in effect enslave the person whom the law governs because you make him comply with this law regardless of the circumstances that he might be in afterwards.

And in any case, the Mosaic law itself was not so negative. Most of its commands were casuistic and the most famous laws, the 10 commandments, were amongst the few that were outright apodictic.

Last edited:

BrianJOrr

As previously stated, the meaning of a text is determined by itself. It is not relative to the reader.

What I said is true. It is logically provable that absolute truth exists. Whether some particular statement is absolutely true or not can only be determined by a particular examination of that statement.

The first test to apply to any theological system is its own internal coherence. If it is incoherent then you don't go any further. A system for example that says that God is both spirit and matter at the same time AND that spirit and matter cannot exist together is incoherent.

I agree

The second test is to ask if it is rational. This means does it make sense in the real world? An example would be a theological system the consequence of which is a requirement on its members to put themselves voluntarily and arbitrarily in unusual danger is irrational.

What do you mean by ‘real world’? The Christian life asks exactly that of us, to take up our cross, to be willing to lose our life in this world to gain our life in him. We are to be hated for the name of Christ (Matthew 10:22, 39; 16:24; Luke 9:24-25; Acts 5:41; Romans 8:17, 36; Philippians 1:29; 2 Timothy 2:12; 1 Peter 5:10; ). So to ‘the world,’ the Christian life is completely irrational. Wouldn’t you have to say, according to the real world, the Christian faith fails the second test? Ultimately, you will have to define for me what the ‘real world’ is. One has to be a Christian to see that the Christian life is rational. I would refer to 1 Corinthians 1-2 on this.

The third test is to ask if the theological system is realistic. This means testing to see if belief in the system necessarily brings about some change to the way its adherent lives. By this I mean that the change must be demanded as a logical consequence of belief, not merely as a voluntary choice of the adherent. For example, the belief that a supreme being created the world and then let the world carry on without further involvement, by definition does not demand any particular course of action on the part of the believer.

When these tests have been done and the theological system has survived, then and only then it is appropriate to test to see if it is Biblical. This means that it should be consistent with the proper meaning of the text.

You are asking a hypothetical question. The true (and obvious) meaning of the texts you are referring to is that the national (theocratic) laws of ancient Israel required punishment of stoning for adulterers. What you say

goes well beyond the proper meaning of the text.

No. That is not what I said. But you can see an example of New Testament ethical principles in the church's declaration that non-Jews need not be circumcised and only 'should' abstain from eating blood, fornication, etc. together with a contextual reason explaining the exhortation in verse 21. It depends on exactly what we mean by 'absolute'. In terms of ethics, what is often meant by that is there is some ethical rule ('moral') that originates outside the created world and which must be obeyed for that reason. Openness doesn't teach this (at least not my version). What I teach is that right and wrong are determined by the context of each action, which is an analogous principle to the way Biblical hermeneutics (indeed all hermeneutics) should be done. My comments to The Incredible Platypus about absolute statements were intended as a concession because it would not be logically tenable to assert truthfully that no statements are absolutely true as that would be self-defeating. It doesn't change the fact that openness is about relationships, not about doctrinal statements (or absolute ethical rules). Openness steers away from doctrinal statements in the same way and for the same reason as it steers away from absolute moral rules.

If you want a text that is consistent with this point of view you need only look at Paul's teaching that the letter of the law kills. Once you make a law, you divorce the principle of the law from its context. You in effect enslave the person whom the law governs because you make him comply with this law regardless of the circumstances that he might be in afterwards.

And in any case, the Mosaic law itself was not so negative. Most of its commands were casuistic and the most famous laws, the 10 commandments, were amongst the few that were outright apodictic.

Would you say that it is because of the New Testament that you are able to provide the proper context to arrive at the answers you just gave?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What do you mean by ‘real world’? The Christian life asks exactly that of us, to take up our cross, to be willing to lose our life in this world to gain our life in him. We are to be hated for the name of Christ (Matthew 10:22, 39; 16:24; Luke 9:24-25; Acts 5:41; Romans 8:17, 36; Philippians 1:29; 2 Timothy 2:12; 1 Peter 5:10; ). So to ‘the world,’ the Christian life is completely irrational. Wouldn’t you have to say, according to the real world, the Christian faith fails the second test? Ultimately, you will have to define for me what the ‘real world’ is. One has to be a Christian to see that the Christian life is rational. I would refer to 1 Corinthians 1-2 on this.

I expected you to twist my words again. 'Being willing to lose our life' is not the same as placing ourselves in unusual danger. 'We are to be hated' is not in the New Testament. Quite the opposite, the NT enjoins us to do all we can to get along with others.

Would you say that it is because of the New Testament that you are able to provide the proper context to arrive at the answers you just gave?

I have already answered this question. If you had an argument against what is a totally logical, rational and Biblical hermeneutic, you would have stated it by now. I explicitly said "And in any case, the Mosaic law itself was not so negative. Most of its commands were casuistic and the most famous laws, the 10 commandments, were amongst the few that were outright apodictic." And yet you persist with trying to get me to admit to saying the opposite. I have the feeling not that you can't listen but that don't want to listen. I feel that you are wasting my time and that Stripe was right that you are just looking for a straw man to link to. Instead of discussing the subject you are just trying to trap me, just trying to wheedle out of me some confession of inexactitude or inconsistency. I answered your questions honestly and as fully as I could in the time. It is you who have to come to terms with what I said. I have already come to terms with my beliefs. If you pursue this kind of approach to me, don't expect me to grace you with further answers.

Last edited:

Arsenios

Did Judas ever have the genuine opportunity to repent and not be the one through whom prophecy was fulfilled?

Opportunity but no inclination - His "repentance" consisted in feeling really bad about what he did, (so did Peter), but then instead of weeping bitterly and returning to the followers of Christ, Judas went to the Jews and returned the money complaining to them, and then killed himself... He did not wish to come back to the followers of Christ and beg forgiveness... That saving action on his part would have required a humility he did not possess. His arrogance would not permit it...

Both were fore-warned they would transgress...

The contrast between the Peter and Judas is worth studying...

The εξ αρχης would seem to mean "from the beginning" of His first encountering them within His ministry. And this because it is Jesus who is named, and not Christ, so that it is the Son of Man who knew, which places the knowing within time, whereas if it were out of the very absolute beginning of creation, it would not have been Jesus incarnate who knew, but Jesus the Logos of God who was pre-incarnate within "the Beginning" of all creation...

In addition, it would probably be knowledge that was revealed to Him by the Father, for the same reason, and not inherently His own incarnate perception of them...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Amen.

Psalm 41:9

Of course God knew and God predicted and God fulfilled and God accomplishes (without fail) all His good purposes and pleasure, in all things.

Including the role designated by God that Judas Iscariot was to play, in the historical out-workings of all the above . . .

The Orthodox understanding of this matter is that being timeless, God sees the end from the beginning, and the beginning from the end, and knows the hearts of the people involved in the action, so that while they have free will in their actions, God knows what they will end up actually doing, because He is seeing both their beginnings and their endings as a single event... It is His fore-knowledge of the outcomes that permits His provisioning of His Providence...

As to HOW He sees the whole of each life simultaneously from its inception to its departure from this earth, we do not pretend to know, and simply know that He does, and His seeing is a Mystery in which we live by His Faith given to us by Christ...

This is how free will and predestination coalesce... Pre-destination is only by fore-knowledge, which only God has, and we do not... So for us to speak of pre-destination is for us to err, because we are then speaking a Mystery we cannot explain, and do not have...

God does not fore-know because He pre-determines, but because He already sees what we will have done... Because He sees us from both the beginning and the finish of our earthly walk... He sees our future because in His seeing, we have already walked it...

In OUR seeing, of course, we have not YET walked our future...

Arsenios

Last edited:

themuzicman

"Iscariot" isn't a last name. It may be part of a political philosophy "sicarii", which was specifically anti-Roman, and thus, he would be the one to act in such a way to force Jesus' hand to rebel against the Romans, and lead Israel to its glory as David's kingdom.

Thus, Jesus "knew" because he knew who Judas was all along.

themuzicman

Has there been an open theist response on this forum to this verse? I see it as a complete contradiction to the openness perspective on foreknowledge. I have tried the search function but nothing has matched yet.

John 6:64 - "'But there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.)"

I think Boyd's treatment is quite shallow, missing the fuller points of this passage and was hoping to find a more detailed response.

Thanks

John 6:44 states that drawing is required before one is able to come. Jesus is referring to those whom God would not draw.