location of King Solomon's Temple

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
I was just curious as to whether anyone here has any degree of familiarity with or interest in the idea that what, for a long, long period of time has been traditionally referred to as "the Temple Mount," in Jerusalem, is not actually the ancient site upon which the first Hebrew temple had stood. I not long ago watched a video of one, Bob Cornuke, a researcher who has worked to propagate this view along with concomitant ideas, and it seems pretty interesting. Personally, I do not know much about the topic, but I assume that this view is pretty well something of a minority position, and I imagine that someone or another has this or that to say against it.

[RATS! I accidentally hit "Post" before I had finished writing this post.]

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Well, I had a bit more I had wanted to write in the OP, but I kind of botched that. Oh well, I'll just continue, here.

I was going to say that one of the things claimed in alliance with the view that the so-called "Temple Mount" is not the site of Solomon's (or even Herod's) Temple is that the entire structure (rather than merely a smaller building close adjacent to it) was actually a fortress (called "the Antonia Fortress") built for the operations of a Roman legion stationed in Jerusalem. This structure, of course, includes the famous Western Wall, or "Wailing Wall," that Jews stand and pray towards. It struck me that, if this is really true—that, in these late days of the times of the gentiles, these "Temple Mount Faithful" sort of Jews are actually praying towards Caesar's wall—it almost seems kind of illustrative of the words of the chief priests in John 19:15: "We have no king but Caesar." If these modern Jews at the "Wailing Wall" are, so to speak, spiritual descendants of those chief priests, and of the people who, gathered before Pilate for Christ's mock trial, said "His (Christ's) blood be upon us, and on our children" (Matthew 27:25), it seems interesting to think that these "children" are today standing there ridiculously, passionately kissing what is, perhaps, King Caesar's own wall, an enduring symbol and literal implement of his subjugation of their second-temple forefathers.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone on TOL has any thoughts to share about this position regarding the "Temple Mount," anything interesting to say in favor of it or against it. It's (rightly or wrongly) not really a topic that I, personally, have much passion about thus far, or any controversy-motivating conviction, since, like I said, I really have very little knowledge or background reading on it.