Moral Obligation

eider

That poses a real dilemma.

I could carry Covid and not not know a thing about it. If I was the only one at risk, then I would not see this as a problem, I would carry on with life as normal. But the risk with Covid is unknowingly passing it on.

If we adhere to the lockdown rules, this puts our economy at risk, so business, hospitals, education, police and all the social structures will also collapse.

I am 71 and classed as being vulnerable in the UK, so I am higher up on the priority list for vaccination. I strongly disagree with this, I have lived my life, I really feel the younger generation should get the vaccine first. I want my children and grandchildren to experience life, I don't want them living in fear and isolation.

Just my thoughts.
Hi Eric.
I'm in the same age group as you, and so I guess that you have had been offered your vaccination already.

The reason why older age groups and NHS staff have been chosen first is because these groups are the most vulnerable, and if the over 70's don't get their vaccinations quickly then the Hospital admissions and the daily death rate will remain high. Our first objective needs to be to reduce pressure on the NHS.

As it happens this policy does seem to be working and the over 70's groups are now showing a higher % resistance already.

But some TOL members believe that Covid is a scam and vaccinations are dangerous. However, I don't have many friends who believe that at all.

Eric h

But some TOL members believe that Covid is a scam
I believe Covid is real and it is damaging the world economy as well as killing the vulnerable. A shrinking economy means that we will have less money to fund hospitals, pension funds, education etc. I am pleased that I am not in government and do not have to make decisions based on the current information. People are dying and people are losing their jobs.
vaccinations are dangerous.
My thoughts are that the vaccines were rolled out too quickly. I was given a note after I received the vaccine, it said, this vaccine does not have a full UK licence, but we have issued a temporary licence for it. Not very reassuring.

If anyone has to be a guinea pig then I am happy for it to be the older generation like myself. But if the vaccine genuinely works, then I believe the younger generation should get priority.

This world is not risk free, we pray, we put our trust in God and carry on as best we can.

eider

I believe Covid is real and it is damaging the world economy as well as killing the vulnerable. A shrinking economy means that we will have less money to fund hospitals, pension funds, education etc. I am pleased that I am not in government and do not have to make decisions based on the current information. People are dying and people are losing their jobs.
Yes...... Covid is real in the UK alright.
Our hospitals have been stretched to busting and doctors have been forced in to dreadful situations where they have had to choose who has had best chance on limited ventilator equipment.

Covid is no scam...... :)
My thoughts are that the vaccines were rolled out too quickly. I was given a note after I received the vaccine, it said, this vaccine does not have a full UK licence, but we have issued a temporary licence for it. Not very reassuring.

If anyone has to be a guinea pig then I am happy for it to be the older generation like myself. But if the vaccine genuinely works, then I believe the younger generation should get priority.

This world is not risk free, we pray, we put our trust in God and carry on as best we can.
I had my 1st jab on Saturday 6th Feb, the Astra Zenica brand. So in the next few days my resistance to Covid might be higher than before.
But the hospital admissions figures are now beginning to fall and the death rates diminishing slightly, so I look forward to seeing how things are after we have all had our 2nd jab.

My wife's boss has taken part in research to gauge the infection rates in minors, and so far the results are showing that infants do not pass on Covid infection. Now they are assessing Junior infection stats.

I understand what you say about oldies needing to carry highest risks, but I reckon that our age group and above most certainly are the ones most likely to die, so the NHS needs to reduce Covid in the elderly because that is what is filling up the NHS beds most.

eider

I asked this question in a different thread:
  1. What is a moral obligation? i.e. what does that term mean?
  2. Please bring a few examples of moral obligations
This was in the context of COVID and Freedom, but the question is a general one.

Anybody care to answer?
Hello chair...

I have many obligations, but what I would like to know is: What is a Moral Obligation and how does that differ from an Obligation?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I think this is the crux of the matter- why people here think so differently than I do about many issues. I don't want to skew their responses by giving my own.
Trust me, there is no way in hell that your definition of "moral obligation" is going to skew anyone else's definition.

eider

Trust me, there is no way in hell that your definition of "moral obligation" is going to skew anyone else's definition.
What is your definition of 'moral obligation', please?
Also, what is your definition of 'obligation' please?