More on "All Things"

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lee_merrill

But then we dare not hope in God, when he says he will accomplish a given purpose that involves human choices, which God must estimate. But that's not Scriptural!

ISA 19:22 The Lord will strike Egypt with a plague; he will strike them and heal them. They will turn to the Lord, and he will respond to their pleas and heal them.

Blessings,
Lee

In either view, the main reason we CAN HOPE in GOD is due to His omnicompetence (perfect wisdom, ability, power, resourcefulness, creativity, etc. His 'estimates' are very precise. Foreknowledge is not a prerequisite for competence. In fact, the chessmaster or coach who does not know all the moves/plays in advance is the more competent one since he can respond to every contingency without studying the foregone conclusion for years).

Is. 19 is based on God's perfect knowledge of hearts and character. He is in control of the exercise of His judgments. It does not necessarily mean that every individual will return to God, but that the group as a whole would. Regardless, we cannot use this as a proof text to extrapolate who will receive or reject Christ even before they were born.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Big Finn

Clete,

No biggie to me. I do believe God knows the future simply because the Bible says that the way I read it. I subscribe to no one system of theology.

It's just to me that God, with His infiinite capabilities, can factor in everything down to which sperm will mate with which egg, what the resulting genetic information will be, and from that know exactly what a person will be like. And then with that knowledge know exactly how that person will interact with his/her surroundings. I believe His capabilities are just being sold short by saying something is unknowable for Him is all. After all, He is infinite, and the very act of saying something isn't knowable is a limitation. It's saying that God is infinite in His ability, well, except for this area.

It's as I said before, I've predicted behavior really accurately years in advance, and I'm like an insect compared to God in intelligence. Neither do I have the wealth of knowledge and experience that God has. I would think that for Him such an expercise is childs play. After all, He can reach into the human heart and regnerate it. After that nothing else is much of a miracle when placed beside it, at least not to me.

All of us simply speculate about this so one theory or the other doesn't make that much difference in how God knows the future, except for a theory that says God is doing this in a way that will violate the basic core of His character, which I believe the CV does by making God some type of micromanager who forces all to obey Him and then punishes those who obey His commands for them to do evil things. I find such a god reprehensible and not to be found in scripture, except as the enemy of the one true God.

It seems we are mostly in agreement on many aspects of what we beleive. However, I would like to know just exactly what do you think it means to say "God is infinite in His ability"?
It seems to be self evident that God cannot do anything and everything that one can imagine. For example, God cannot make a sphere with sharp edges, or squares with no corners. God cannot do the logically absurd. Thus, is follows that God cannot know the unknowable. If He could then it would not be unknowable and if it is truly unknowable then to say that God knows it anyway would be a logical obsurdity.
So we know at least that God is limited to reality (logic being a fundamental aspect of reailty).
Further, we have Biblical evidence that gives direct testimony on this very issue.
I'll give you one example...
Gen 18:20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; 21 I (God) will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

This is perhaps the clearest example of a situation where God had appearantly chosen to turn His back on the evil of the situation and reacted to the prayers of His people and investigated the accusations that has been brought before Him.

Now I'm not saying that God would have been incapable of having known well in advance of the evil Sodom would come to be guilty of, I'm simply saying that God chose not to know. I am not willing to tell God that if He is not fully informed of every detail of every evil and vile act on the planet that He is no longer qualified to be God. Nor is it required for Him to be omni-informed for Him to maintain my trust and adoration. Nor is there anything in the Bible that logically demands a belief that God either foreknows or foreordains every event that ever happens, indeed quite the reverse. There are of course things which God has foreordained and other things that He knows full well are going to come to pass, but conceding such a point in no way requires the acceptance that God knows everything.

Also, from a very basic and technical point of view, the future is either open or it is not. Either every single event that will ever occur is set in stone as an unalterable fact of future history in which case it would be closed, or else it is open to contingency, to maybe this or perhaps that. If there is even one single event that might or might not happen then the future is open. It is truly an all or nothing senerio. Even a partially openned door is not closed.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Re: Re: Re: Re: POTD

Re: Re: Re: Re: POTD

Originally posted by God_Is_Truth

so this could also be used as evidence against those who say prophecies are based solely on foreknowledge. clearly this one was not. right?

I haven't heard anyone make such a statement but yes, this event would blow that idea right out of the water! :up:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by *Acts9_12Out*

This thread has flown off topic a bit from my original post. I am guilty as well...

The point of this thread was to find out if "all things" that God knows and "all things" that Christ knows can be limited in any way. I referenced 1 John 3:20 and John 21.

Lee, if Christ knows "all things" and God knows "all things," why doesn't Christ know when He will return? Wouldn't that "future" event be part of "all things" from the calvinist / arminian view point?

--Jeremy

Jeremy,

I'm curious how you would answer your own question, from an OVer's point of view.

Big Finn

Clete,

As I said before, as long as one's determination as to whether God knows everything in the future or not is of no real importance to me, as long as the theology doesn't try to make God into something He says He isn't.

As to saying that what I said means that everything is set in stone or denies all free will it doesn't do that at all. It takes into account man's choices and leaves him making his own choice, for good or for evil.

My take on this is sort of like an article I read in the Scientific American back in the 80's on fractal geometry. Using the computers of those days it was possible to determine traffic flows in any given place at any given time. It was possible to show where congestion would occur, how long it would last, and how bad it would be. Now, this ability to predict this flow of traffic was possible even though the guys that did the predicting had no influence over any person's choices as to where they would go, what route they would choose, nothing. They had control over no ones choices, yet could predict very accurately how traffic would flow.

Now, the ability that these guys had is miniscule in comparison to God's abilities. So, I can imagine by faith that God can know just what choices will be made and what people will do before they do it. That doesn't mean our future or anyone else's is set in stone, but that God can just see what we're going to choose. We still make our own freely determined choices, it's just that God has the ability to see what we will do because He knows us so well. He doesn't isn't causal in anything other than He works through the Holy Spirit to share and direct events.

As to the texts where God says, Now I know.... I don't see a great problem with that for I see it just as a figure of speech that He uses with us. I believe the tests that are given us, i.e. Job and Abraham, are given so that we and others might learn about ourselves, good and evil, and God. Thus they are all for our ultimate good and instruction not God's.

See it's like Abraham's test to offer Isaac. He unknowingly prophecied about God sending His Son when he told Isaac, God will Himself provide a lamb. Abraham referred to the sacrifice he and Isaac were going to perform, but in that experience Abraham came to personally understand the heartbreak that the Father would undergo in sacrificing His Son. I beleive that after that experience Abraham's knowledge of God took on a brand new experience. God knew Abraham would pass the test, but Abraham didn't. He needed to pass through the trial for him to be able to understand what was to come. Jesus said, Abraham saw my day and was glad. The Mount Moriah experience was Abraham's glimpse of the day of Christ. He knew what was going to happen and he knew the heart break of the Father in giving up His son to keep His promise to us. Thus this whole experience wasn't about God wanting to Abraham commit murder to prove his faithfulness, but about teaching us through this object lesson just how much the Father sacrificed and about the Father's love for us.

I don't believe causation is necessary for knowledge. However, that's just me. I still get a lot out of your posts, I just happen to disagree with you on what I see as a minor point of theology.

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Also, from a very basic and technical point of view, the future is either open or it is not. Either every single event that will ever occur is set in stone as an unalterable fact of future history in which case it would be closed, or else it is open to contingency, to maybe this or perhaps that. If there is even one single event that might or might not happen then the future is open. It is truly an all or nothing senerio. Even a partially openned door is not closed.

can you explain that a little more?

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Maybe I could!

and then again...

maybe not!

:chuckle:

har har :D

ok, so here is my understanding. if the future was closed then nothing could be changed, everything is set in place and just played out. if it's open, then there is contingency, choice, freedom and uncertainty.

i guess i was getting confused about having closed things (like the rapture) in an open future. the rapture will happen, so in that sense it's closed, but as to when it will happen, it's open. right?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by God_Is_Truth

har har :D

ok, so here is my understanding. if the future was closed then nothing could be changed, everything is set in place and just played out. if it's open, then there is contingency, choice, freedom and uncertainty.

i guess i was getting confused about having closed things (like the rapture) in an open future. the rapture will happen, so in that sense it's closed, but as to when it will happen, it's open. right?

Yeah, you have the right idea. There are certain things that God has said He will bring to pass that don't have anything to do with what us humans do or don't do, the glorification of the Body of Christ, and the destruction of this world by fire, for a couple of examples. These things will happen, but the exact circumstances surrounding these events are not necessarily set in place just because the main event itself is. There is simply nothing biblical that demands that we beleive in a God who has predetermined every event that has or will ever happen, its just not in there.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

Godrulz: In either view, the main reason we CAN HOPE in GOD is due to His omnicompetence (perfect wisdom, ability, power, resourcefulness, creativity, etc.) His 'estimates' are very precise. Foreknowledge is not a prerequisite for competence. In fact, the chessmaster or coach who does not know all the moves/plays in advance is the more competent one ...

But if God can fail in his estimate (the point of this thread), then we dare not hope in him, when he makes a prophecy that is an estimate, and might be wrong. Precise estimates do not guarantee an outcome! And more than great skill is required, perfection is, if such prophecies are not to fail.

And on another note, how does God win, in the area of men's salvation, according to the Open View? What is the criterion for winning? One person turning? Then the devil wins, too, if one person doesn't turn, if that is what it means to win. And if God does his best, and then takes whatever comes, then God wins practically any way he chooses, if one or a few persons come to him. But how is that a special demonstration of God's strength and wisdom, if "do your best and take what comes" is the definition of winning? By that definition, no one ever lost a chess game, on either side...

ISA 19:22 The Lord will strike Egypt with a plague; he will strike them and heal them. They will turn to the Lord...

Godrulz: Is. 19 is based on God's perfect knowledge of hearts and character. He is in control of the exercise of His judgments. It does not necessarily mean that every individual will return to God, but that the group as a whole would. Regardless, we cannot use this as a proof text to extrapolate who will receive or reject Christ even before they were born.

But more than one person will certainly come! "They" in reference to a nation even implies most of them, actually. So how can this be guaranteed, before they are born? This has not yet been fulfilled, either, I think, so this prophecy is thousands of years old.

Finn: ... which I believe the CV does by making God some type of micromanager who forces all to obey Him and then punishes those who obey His commands for them to do evil things.

I believe that it is the motive God judges, and not the deed per se. I mentioned this idea in a previous thread, and rejected it, but now I think I believe it. I'm trying it on, anyway. If you see someone commit a crime, and rejoice in it, then that is a sin, even though you didn't do any part of the crime yourself. So if God ordains a sinful action, and the person does it, and rejoices in it, then that rejoicing in it is similarly a sin:

ISA 10:12 When the Lord has finished all his work against Mount Zion and Jerusalem, he will say, "I will punish the king of Assyria for the willful pride of his heart and the haughty look in his eyes."

Not for all the bad stuff he did, per se! For willful pride, and haughtiness, for his attitude in his heart. So I believe that people are sources of their motive, God can influence peoples' motives and hearts, but for sinful actions, the source of the motive, for which they are judged, comes from the peoples' hearts.

GIT: ... if the future was closed then nothing could be changed, everything is set in place and just played out. if it's open, then there is contingency, choice, freedom and uncertainty.

This difficulty is not so difficult (so to speak) if God is not in time, though. Thus he can make free choices, and know others' choices, and not set them in stone in advance.

Clete: There is simply nothing biblical that demands that we believe in a God who has predetermined every event that has or will ever happen...

I agree, I think Scripture teaches that believers can really choose!

JN 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Blessings,
Lee

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Clete,

As I said before, as long as one's determination as to whether God knows everything in the future or not is of no real importance to me, as long as the theology doesn't try to make God into something He says He isn't.
That's excellent really. As Armenians go, you're pretty radical though. You're so close to being an open theist I'm having a hard time finding anything to disagree with you about. Most of the time there's only a dime's worth of difference between the Armenian’s version of God and the Calvinist’s. Yours is by far the most palatable version of Armenianism I've come across yet!
I do, however, see some logical problems with your position that I will point out, perhaps you will agree, perhaps not. Either way, it's refreshing to find someone I can count as an ally in my fight against the unjust God of Calvinism.

As to saying that what I said means that everything is set in stone or denies all free will it doesn't do that at all. It takes into account man's choices and leaves him making his own choice, for good or for evil.
Yes, I understand that this is your position. It is a basic Armenian tenant. My minds eye is drawn to something that is logically inconsistent with this though that I will point out in a moment.

My take on this is sort of like an article I read in the Scientific American back in the 80's on fractal geometry. Using the computers of those days it was possible to determine traffic flows in any given place at any given time. It was possible to show where congestion would occur, how long it would last, and how bad it would be. Now, this ability to predict this flow of traffic was possible even though the guys that did the predicting had no influence over any person's choices as to where they would go, what route they would choose, nothing. They had control over no ones choices, yet could predict very accurately how traffic would flow.
A brilliant analogy! However, this is not at all the way the average Armenian believes. Armenians believe that God exists outside of time and can see all of history at once and that He therefore knows what will happen in advance. I know that you don't actually consider yourself to be an Armenian necessarily; I just bring it up to show how far you are from the standard Armenian position. Your position is nearly identical to the Open View position in that what God knows, He knows through prediction and deduction from available information, not by peaking into the future or anything like that.

Now, the ability that these guys had is miniscule in comparison to God's abilities. So, I can imagine by faith that God can know just what choices will be made and what people will do before they do it. That doesn't mean our future or anyone else's is set in stone, but that God can just see what we're going to choose. We still make our own freely determined choices, it's just that God has the ability to see what we will do because He knows us so well. He doesn't isn't causal in anything other than He works through the Holy Spirit to share and direct events.
Okay, this is I think were your logic is flawed.
Let's first define terms so as to make sure we aren't misunderstanding each other.
When you say, "God can just see what we're going to choose", it seems to me like you are saying that God knows absolutely what we are going to do. That He isn't simply predicting based upon the available evidence and information, but that God has followed in His mind a causal pathway from event to event that will inevitably lead to a certain, specific outcome. If this is in fact what you are saying then freewill has just left the building!
There are at least two reasons that freewill cannot exist with this version of perfect foreknowledge.
First of all, freedom is the ability to choose to do or to do otherwise. If someone, namely God, knows with absolute certainty what I am go to do then my ability to do otherwise does not exist and thus neither does my freedom.
Secondly, the idea that we do the things we do entirely because of the events and circumstances that lead up to those actions also removes the "to do otherwise" part of what is means to be free. Even if you add in a complete knowledge of our personality it doesn't help. You've increased the complexity by doing so, but at the same time you would readily acknowledge that God would not have a problem dealing with even the most outrageous complexity so you are left with the same problem.
I submit that even if every possible detail of a given situation is known and the person involved is intimately and utterly known by God that any one particular decision that a person will make cannot be known with absolute precision. No matter how complete ones knowledge, there is always a degree of uncertainty. This is the nature of being free. Without it we are not free, whether God knows things in advance or not.

As to the texts where God says, Now I know.... I don't see a great problem with that for I see it just as a figure of speech that He uses with us.
Could you explain what that figure of speech means? Figures are supposed to explain and illustrate some aspect of what is being said. It should communicate something other than what the plain meaning of the words say. So with that in mind, what does the figure "now I know" mean?

I believe the tests that are given us, i.e. Job and Abraham, are given so that we and others might learn about ourselves, good and evil, and God. Thus they are all for our ultimate good and instruction not God's.
It is clearly for our learning, but I see no reason to ignore what the passage clearly says about God testing Abraham so that He could see whether or not He would pass.

See it's like Abraham's test to offer Isaac. He unknowingly prophesied about God sending His Son when he told Isaac, God will Himself provide a lamb. Abraham referred to the sacrifice he and Isaac were going to perform, but in that experience Abraham came to personally understand the heartbreak that the Father would undergo in sacrificing His Son. I believe that after that experience Abraham's knowledge of God took on a brand new experience. God knew Abraham would pass the test, but Abraham didn't. He needed to pass through the trial for him to be able to understand what was to come. Jesus said, Abraham saw my day and was glad. The Mount Moriah experience was Abraham's glimpse of the day of Christ. He knew what was going to happen and he knew the heart break of the Father in giving up His son to keep His promise to us. Thus this whole experience wasn't about God wanting to Abraham commit murder to prove his faithfulness, but about teaching us through this object lesson just how much the Father sacrificed and about the Father's love for us.
Except for the one sentence I highlighted, I think you're right. Why throw in "God knew Abraham would pass the test, but Abraham didn't."? Everything you've said is in agreement with the text except this one sentence. The text says the exact opposite.
In addition to that there is the passage that I mentioned in my previous post where God says...
Gen 18:20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; 21 I (God) will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.
Notice the future tense "I will know". How is this sort of statement reconciled with a God who knows everything in advance?

I don't believe causation is necessary for knowledge. However, that's just me. I still get a lot out of your posts, I just happen to disagree with you on what I see as a minor point of theology.
Well, I agree with you that considering what all I've seen you post and what you apparently believe about who God is and why, this particular point of theology is a minor one.
You've shown an ability to think clearly and articulate yourself well, two things which I respect greatly. That will continue to be so whether or not you ever come to agree with me on this one point of logic.

God bless!!!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Many prophecies are forthtelling, not foretelling. They are conditional calls to repentance and faith.

Other prophecies are vague or general and within God's ability to orchestrate things or bring to pass apart from human agency (e.g. Revelation; Messianic prophecies).

A few specific prophecies may involve an exceptional case of God suspending free will (e.g. non-moral issue like naming of Cyrus).

Certainly, Open Theism must give a cogent explanation of prophecy. Each one must be looked at with possible explanations. Foreknowledge is not the only legit. explanation (e.g. Is. 46 specifically says things will come to pass because of His ability, not His foreknowledge).

Big Finn

Clete,

I have another analogy for you because I think you are missing my point. It's flawed in some ways, but I think it makes my point.

Let's say you're with several of your very close friends and they are playing poker. Not trying to say you're a gambler, smoker, etc..... ;) While you're sitting there, for some reason or other you are given the ability to see all cards in the deck and in each person's hand. So, you now know who has been given what cards, what cards will be dealt to what people, and since you know the personalities involved, i.e. which people are assertive, passive, tentative, etc... you know how the hands will be played out. Thus you know the outcome of each hand before it is played.

Does your perfect knowledge of each hand mean that you are limiting the free will of the players involved?

Big Finn

Clete,

Sorry in advance, but I just couldn't resist. :D :D

I didn't know Armenians had their own special view of God, or that I am even faintly related to Armenians, however, I see they do have their own dating service. :D :D :D

Big Finn

Let's first define terms so as to make sure we aren't misunderstanding each other.
When you say, "God can just see what we're going to choose", it seems to me like you are saying that God knows absolutely what we are going to do. That He isn't simply predicting based upon the available evidence and information, but that God has followed in His mind a causal pathway from event to event that will inevitably lead to a certain, specific outcome. If this is in fact what you are saying then freewill has just left the building!

Just what evidence is available to God, and how much can He see? That's the question. How much can God figure out based upon infinite knowledge? Can he figure out what genes will match up when two people have a child? If not, why not? And, if He can does that make Him the cause of the specific genes matching up?

God can read our thoughts, so when I have a conversation with someone He knows just as well as I do what I will say. Does that mean He is taking away my ability to think and choose because He knows what I'm about to say? Hardly. Can He influence what I'm about to say? Yes. Can He have enough influence to cause me to change my mind and say something other than what I had intended to say? Based upon past experience... Yes. Can He influence my choices? Yes. I believe He influences the choices of all men much more than we recognize. However, there is a difference between such influence and causation such as CV'ers believe in.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Clete,

I have another analogy for you because I think you are missing my point. It's flawed in some ways, but I think it makes my point.

Let's say you're with several of your very close friends and they are playing poker. Not trying to say you're a gambler, smoker, etc..... ;) While you're sitting there, for some reason or other you are given the ability to see all cards in the deck and in each person's hand. So, you now know who has been given what cards, what cards will be dealt to what people, and since you know the personalities involved, i.e. which people are assertive, passive, tentative, etc... you know how the hands will be played out. Thus you know the outcome of each hand before it is played.

Does your perfect knowledge of each hand mean that you are limiting the free will of the players involved?
What I'm saying is that no matter how much information you have there is always some uncertainty. People are free to do something that they would not normally do without any reason except that they just decided to go against the grain for once. Or it might not even be against the grain. There are situations where the odds that someone will do one thing or another are completely equal, given a certain set of circumstances.
The point is that people’s free will actions are unknowable. They are predictable, perhaps very accurately, but predicting is not the same knowing.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Clete,

Sorry in advance, but I just couldn't resist. :D :D

I didn't know Armenians had their own special view of God, or that I am even faintly related to Armenians, however, I see they do have their own dating service. :D :D :D

:doh:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Just what evidence is available to God, and how much can He see? That's the question. How much can God figure out based upon infinite knowledge? Can he figure out what genes will match up when two people have a child? If not, why not? And, if He can does that make Him the cause of the specific genes matching up?
That depends upon if He is predicting it or if He KNOWS it. He can physically cause one specific sperm to meet with one specific egg and there by control which genes come together in order to get a particular type of person but I don't have any reason to think that He is doing this normally.
Once a sperm and egg come together God is able to know all sort of things about the child, I'm sure more than we realize, but until they actually do come together, I don't think God knows which will come together; certainly not millennia or even weeks in advance. I don't know enough about how the delivery system works to be able to say for sure whether He has enough information to know once the sperm are on their way to the egg but I would strongly suspect that in nearly all cases He simply does care. He lets things happen as they happen and works with things as they are.

God can read our thoughts, so when I have a conversation with someone He knows just as well as I do what I will say. Does that mean He is taking away my ability to think and choose because He knows what I'm about to say? Hardly.
Hardly is right! Does your own knowledge create of freedom issue? No! And as you said, God knows as well as you do, perhaps better in some situations, but God does not KNOW what you will say or do until you do (Gen. 22:12)
Can He influence what I'm about to say? Yes. Can He have enough influence to cause me to change my mind and say something other than what I had intended to say? Based upon past experience... Yes. Can He influence my choices? Yes. I believe He influences the choices of all men much more than we recognize. However, there is a difference between such influence and causation such as CV'ers believe in.
I completely agree with you on this point! :up:

Resting in Him,
Clete

godrulz

Hall of Fame
"If an act be free, it must be contingent. If contingent, it may or may not happen, or it may be one of many possibles. And if it may be one of many possibles, it must be uncertain; and if uncertain, it must be unknowable."

Clete is correct to recognize the differences between certainties, necessities, possibilities, and probabilities.

"A certain event will inevitably come to pass, a necessary event must come to pass, but a contingent event may or may not come to pass. Contingency is an EQUAL possibility of being and of not being."

Freedom<...> contingency.
Determinism is not freedom (nor love, nor relationship).

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by lee_merrill

This difficulty is not so difficult (so to speak) if God is not in time, though. Thus he can make free choices, and know others' choices, and not set them in stone in advance.

if we genuinely have free will, then God cannot know what we are going to do before we do it. it does not matter if he is in time or outside of it.

if God knows in any way (in time or out) what we are going to do before we do it, then we are not free. it simply cannot be.