Praise Jebus??

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
I imagine that at least a few others reading TOL must have, at some point, from some quarter or other of our vicious, modern world, heard vain babblers speaking irreverently--nay, mockingly--against Christ by using the name, 'Jebus'. I used to watch the Simpsons a lot, for years and years, pretty much from the initial airing of the very first episode. At some point, in later seasons, I heard one of the degenerate fool characters, Homer Simpson, say "Praise Jebus!" If I'm not mistaken, that's likely the first context in which I'd ever heard that particular name, 'Jebus', used that way. But, though not often, I've heard it used similarly since then, as well, by different people, in different settings. Anyway, it's obviously spoken out of spirit of mocking disrespect and malice against the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is interesting, though, that open enemies of Christ would happen to choose to say "Praise Jebus!" I have wondered when, where, and by whom, that slur was invented/coined, and what might have been its inventor's rationale for deliberately corrupting the name of Jesus into "Jebus". I have wondered if, perhaps, the slogan's origin might not just be a genuinely literal instance of the the devil being "in the details". Now--although, obviously, when they say "Jebus" rather than "Jesus", they are doing so out of hatred for Immanuel--perhaps the coiner of the slogan was not intending it merely as a corruption of the name of Jesus, wherein the inner 's' is replaced by a 'b'.

Here's the thing: We know, from Scripture, that Zion/Jerusalem is "the city of the great king". We know, from Scripture, that that great king is none other than Jesus Christ. Interestingly, though, we find, in the Old Testament, that that city, while certain Canaanites called "Jebusites" were dwelling in it, was called "Jebus". Now, the culture of the Canaanites was awash with abominations and affronts against God, and our vicious, debased, anti-God modern culture would seem to have something of an affinity with that of the Canaanites, would it not? So, it seems to me that, perhaps, when modern, loud-mouthed pagans say "Praise Jebus!" they're not merely signifying that it is out of a mocking, scoffing spirit they speak; after all, would it not seem they are, more or less, testifying, out of the abundance of their heart, that they "will not have this man [Jesus] to reign over [them]", and that they are identifying with, and praising, the Godless, pagan state of affairs that held while the Canaanites were occupying "Jebus, which is Jerusalem"?

Just a little hunch I've had in recent times.

Bradley D

It's defined as:

"Jeebus (or Jebus) is a humorous substitute for Jesus, sometimes used to avoid blaspheming, other times to poke fun at believers, and most often just as a playful interjection. Related words: Jesus take the wheel."
What Does Jeebus Mean? | Slang by Dictionary.com
https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/jeebus/

For me it is using the Lord's name in vain!

Gary K

Banned
It's just one more instance of how life comes around to imitating art. And the left tries to tell us all the stuff they put on TV, the movies, and electronic games, never influences anyone in a negative way.