Priests in Montreal banned from being alone with children

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Catholic priests in Montreal banned from being alone with children: New policy, which includes church workers and volunteers, intended as ‘safety net’ against allegations of sex abuse, but critics say move is ‘too little, too late’ by Harriet Sherwood] :eek:linger: "Catholic priests in Montreal will be banned from being alone with children to provide a “safety net” against allegations of abuse.

Archbishop Christian Lepine has issued a decree to implement the policy, which also covers lay workers and volunteers.

According to the decree, the move was to “ensure the safety and integrity of the people to whom we bring the Gospel message and offer our pastoral care”. But, it added, it was also “to preserve the integrity, security and good reputation of God’s people”.

In an accompanying letter, Lepine said: “Recent events brought to light the horrific reality of abuse of minors and vulnerable people by members of the church. These intolerable situations have shocked and shaken the Universal Church as well as the entire population.”

Pope Francis and his predecessors had issued clear instructions that every Catholic diocese must take necessary measures to prevent the abuse of children and vulnerable adults, the letter said..." Full text: Catholic priests in Montreal banned from being alone with children Mt 7:20

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
These men infiltrate the Catholic Church to exploit children. Perhaps what would be tell tale is how many resignations the RCC would receive if they universally implemented this safety net.

It's like putting down weed killer :chuckle:

Cruciform

[Catholic priests in Montreal banned from being alone with children...]
I certainly hope they're planning to also ban public school teachers, Protestant ministers, and any extended family members from being alone with children, since the percentage of sexual abuse in those contexts is much higher.

See THIS for some needed perspective.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I certainly hope they're planning to also ban public school teachers, Protestant ministers, and any extended family members from being alone with children, since the percentage of sexual abuse in those contexts is much higher.

See THIS for some needed perspective.

the difference being, of course, that the groups you mentioned aren't protected by their superiors and allowed to continue abusing children

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
thank you for another opportunity to point out that the church no longer knowingly ordains homosexuals

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
thank you for another opportunity to point out that the church no longer knowingly ordains homosexuals

I wonder how much that is actually followed, being as how priesthood requires a life of abstinence and all a homosexual has to do is say they aren't about that action anymore :rolleyes:

The way I hear it, the Church is always in constant need of priests- which makes it easy for them to soften up on such things.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I wonder how much that is actually followed, being as how priesthood requires a life of abstinence and all a homosexual has to do is say they aren't about that action anymore :rolleyes:

The way I hear it, the Church is always in constant need of priests- which makes it easy for them to soften up on such things.

not after paying out over a billion to the victims
-money is a great motivator

Cruciform

I wonder how much that is actually followed, being as how priesthood requires a life of abstinence and all a homosexual has to do is say they aren't about that action anymore. The way I hear it, the Church is always in constant need of priests- which makes it easy for them to soften up on such things.
Addressed HERE.