Theology Club: Romans through Philemon

Jerry Shugart

I don't believe so. The books of Hebrews through Revelation preach to the Jews, the Gospel of the Kingdom, not the Gospel of the Grace of God.

Does the following gospel from the pen of Peter sound like the "gospel of the kingdom" or the gospel which Paul referred to as the "preaching of the Cross"?:

"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed...Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot"
(1 Pet.2:24, 1:18-19).​

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Does the following gospel from the pen of Peter sound like the "gospel of the kingdom" or the gospel which Paul referred to as the "preaching of the Cross"?:

"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed...Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot"

Does it speak about the requirement of believing in the death, burial and resurrection? The kingdom/Peters Plan of salvation is as follows;

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Repentance and baptism

The Gospel of Grace is;

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 King James Version (KJV)
15 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Jerry Shugart

Does it speak about the requirement of believing in the death, burial and resurrection?

So are you arguing that the following words of Peter are speaking of the 'gospel of the kingdom"?:

I don't know about you but I don't think those words have anything to do with the "gospel of the kingdom."

Peter also said that being born again results from "believing" and nothing more:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23,25).

Last edited:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So are you arguing that the following words of Peter are speaking of the 'gospel of the kingdom"?:

I don't know about you but I don't think those words have anything to do with the "gospel of the kingdom."

Peter also said that being born again results from "believing" and nothing more:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23,25).

believing but believing in what?

Jerry Shugart

believing but believing in what?

The gospel which Peter spoke of here:

"Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot"

By the time when the Hebrew epistles were written Israel had been temporarily cast aside and Peter was given the same stewardship which Paul had, the stewardship to preach the gospel of grace. And here Peter speaks of the same stewardship:

"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms"
(1 Pet.4:10).​

Paul makes it plain that the believing remnant out of Israel were made members of the Body of Christ:

"But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby"
(Eph.2:13-16).​

"