Senate passes bill allowing armed security teams in churches (Mississippi)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Senate passes bill allowing armed security teams in churches

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Asked to choose between a Christian spirit of peace and a God-given right of self-defense, Mississippi senators are overwhelming favoring the latter.

The Senate voted 36-14 Tuesday to pass House Bill 786 (http://bit.ly/1ZIUFLb ), known as the Mississippi Church Protection Act. The bill returns to the House.

It says places of worship could designate members to undergo firearms training and carry guns to protect the congregation.

The bill also allows people to carry guns in holsters without a concealed weapons permit, expanding on last year's law allowing people to carry guns in purses without a permit.

Finally, the measure asserts no state official can enforce any federal executive order or administrative rule that violates the U.S. or Mississippi constitutions. It's a challenge to the principle that federal law overrides state law.

The bill -From: http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2016/pdf/history/HB/HB0786.xml

Title: AN ACT TO CREATE THE "MISSISSIPPI CHURCH PROTECTION ACT"; TO AMEND SECTION 45-9-101, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO CONFORM TO THE PRECEDING SECTION; TO BRING FORWARD SECTION 97-37-7, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, FOR PURPOSES OF AMENDMENT; TO AMEND SECTION 97-37-9, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO REVISE THE LIST OF DEFENSES FOR A PERSON INDICTED OR CHARGED FOR A VIOLATION OF THE PROVISION OF LAW REGULATING THE USE OF FIREARMS; TO AMEND SECTION 97-3-15, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO PROVIDE THAT KILLING A PERSON WHILE ACTING AS A PARTICIPANT OF A CHURCH OR PLACE OF WORSHIP SECURITY TEAM IS JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

What an atheist blog thinks about this:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...n-it-allows-church-members-to-kill-intruders/

What do you think about this?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Christianity is not about "peace". That is a pathetic false gospel and a cliche. Christianity is about entering into life. And it is worth defending, as noted.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2016/02/17/house-gives-ok-armed-security-churches/80517994/

The Police Chiefs Association is against it.

According to the Police Chiefs Association:

•Mississippi currently prohibits some people convicted of certain violent misdemeanors from having concealed carry licenses. This bill would allow these people to carry concealed, loaded guns in public.

•Mississippi currently prohibits people who voluntarily committed themselves to mental institutions from having concealed carry licenses. This bill would allow these people to carry concealed, loaded guns in public.

•Mississippi currently prohibits people who chronically abuse alcohol from having concealed carry licenses. This bill would allow these people to carry concealed, loaded guns in public.

"By effectively dismantling Mississippi's licensing system, this bill would block law enforcement who stop an armed suspect from confirming that he isn't a violent criminal, severely mentally ill, or otherwise dangerous," said Ken Winter, executive director of the Mississippi Police Chiefs Association. "This bill would put law enforcement officers and all Mississippians directly in harm's way."

In the vast majority of states, including Mississippi, a person must generally acquire a license in order to legally carry a concealed handgun in public. These licenses ensure that certain core public safety standards are preserved when people carry concealed guns in public places, according to the Police Chiefs Association.

"HB 786 would effectively repeal this important public safety law and let people, including some violent criminals, legally carry concealed guns in public without a license," Winter said. "Tucked into HB 786 is a provision that allows individuals to carry a concealed handgun without a license if the gun is carried in a sheath, belt holster, or shoulder holster, effectively allowing for dangerous people to carry loaded, hidden weapons in public."

But Gipson said changes in House Bill 786 are only technical changes clarifying the methods of securely carrying firearms concealed without a permit.

"There is nothing really new about these changes — the only change is that the law now will expressly provide for secure carry in a holster or sheath as another alternative," Gipson said.

Gipson said the Mississippi Legislature adopted and Gov. Phil Bryant signed into law a permitless concealed carry option last year as part of Senate Bill 2394.

Gipson said the permitless carry option that went into effect July 1 authorized concealed carry without a license in a "purse, handbag, satchel, other similar bag or briefcase or fully enclosed case" and we have not seen or heard of any problems with this concealed carry option.

He said a fully enclosed case may, in some instances, include a sheath, shoulder or belt holster. The language in this year's bill adds sheath, shoulder or belt holster.

Gipson said the catalyst for the Church Protection Act was the shooting last year at a Charleston, South Carolina, church that left nine black church members dead. A young white male was charged in the attack.

All firearm licensing requirements would remain in effect under the legislation, according to Gipson.

"We depend on the concealed weapon statute to enforce a felon having a firearm concealed," Winter said. "With him (Gipson) adding line 435 he is trying to basically do away with the concealed weapon provision in this state."

State Rep. Adrienne Wooten, D-Jackson, asked Gipson how many incidents of violence have there been in Mississippi churches.

"Many of us would say there have been potential incidents of violence," Gipson replied.

Gipson said church members should have the ability to protect themselves. Wooten said she worries the law could create untrained vigilante groups in churches.

I don't like it. I think it's an overreaction and will most likely send the wrong message.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What is it you object to? Be specific.

I don't think I can be specific. Just a feeling that Christianity has an element of non-violence and peace and overcoming evil with good that isn't taken very seriously by many Christians in the US. That isn't to say that if someone comes into a church and starts shooting I think they should all stand there and become martyrs. Choosing to not use violence yourself is one thing, making that decision for others by standing by while they are attacked is another. But I think the idea of churches forming armed groups to stop intruders misses the mark a bit and sends the wrong message of relying on violence instead of reflecting their savior that willingly died. Especially when attacks in churches are such a rare thing, unless I'm unaware. How many Dylan Roofs have their been?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't like it. I think it's an overreaction and will most likely send the wrong message.

The message that I won't be a victim is the wrong message? Sometimes you make no sense.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't think I can be specific. Just a feeling that Christianity has an element of non-violence and peace and overcoming evil with good that isn't taken very seriously by many Christians in the US. That isn't to say that if someone comes into a church and starts shooting I think they should all stand there and become martyrs. Choosing to not use violence yourself is one thing, making that decision for others by standing by while they are attacked is another. But I think the idea of churches forming armed groups to stop intruders misses the mark a bit and sends the wrong message of relying on violence instead of reflecting their savior that willingly died. Especially when attacks in churches are such a rare thing, unless I'm unaware. How many Dylan Roofs have their been?

Matthew John Murray
2007 Colorado YWAM and New Life shootings
Characteristics: Claimed to have been physically and psychologically abused within the church. He cites this as the main reason for his hatred of Christianity
Number of victims: 4

There are many spree killings anymore, better to protect yourself beforehand than be a victim.