Star Trek License Plate Offends Canadians

rexlunae

From: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...-licence-plate-says-message-is-offensive.html

ASIMIL8 is too offensive to indigenous people... say 2 Canadians. Therefore the guy with this plate has to surrender it.

Two people complained about it. Just two. But those two people have the unalienable right to never feel offended by anything, ever. Free speech is dead... in Canada, anyway.

The bar is pretty high for a complaint. You have to go pretty far out of your way to do it. Two people complaining about the same license plate seems like a lot....especially in Manitoba, which is not a terribly densely populated province.

First, to the question of offense. It certainly seems to be the case that no offense was intended. As a reference to the Borg, I get that it's not actually aimed at indigenous people. That said, a license plate doesn't offer a lot of context. If you drive a car with such a message on it to a Star Trek convention, people would probably understand the context properly and interpret it as intended. However, drive the same car around an indigenous reserve in Canada, and you might reasonably reach a very different conclusion, because the context suggests a very different intention. Perhaps the license plate holder could add the needed context, but it's far less prominent than the license plate, and some people may miss the significance or the reference. I do not think it requires exceptional sensitivity to have an issue with this, especially as the placement on an official license plate seems to lend the voice of the province to the message.

To the question of whether the loss of the license plate is a reasonable remedy, I would say that it is. I don't know how Canadian law treats them, but in the US, license plates are seen largely as an act of state speech, not personal expression. That distinction has allowed states to set limits on the contents of license plates. And it's important to note that no restriction has been placed on the message, were it displayed on any other part of the car that doesn't appear to issue from the province of Manitoba.

Ironic... the Leftists are so much like the Borg.

In the last 24 hours, the President of the United States's chief of staff has discussed changing the libel laws to make it easier for him to sue reporters for reports that he does not approve of. And this is what you're worried about??? Are you capable of worrying about free speech in any context that doesn't involve attacking "leftists"?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
In the last 24 hours, the President of the United States's chief of staff has discussed changing the libel laws to make it easier for him to sue reporters for reports that he does not approve of.

yeah baby!

take care of that fake news once and for all! :banana:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
First, to the question of offense. It certainly seems to be the case that no offense was intended. As a reference to the Borg, I get that it's not actually aimed at indigenous people. That said, a license plate doesn't offer a lot of context. If you drive a car with such a message on it to a Star Trek convention, people would probably understand the context properly and interpret it as intended. However, drive the same car around an indigenous reserve in Canada, and you might reasonably reach a very different conclusion, because the context suggests a very different intention. Perhaps the license plate holder could add the needed context, but it's far less prominent than the license plate, and some people may miss the significance or the reference. I do not think it requires exceptional sensitivity to have an issue with this, especially as the placement on an official license plate seems to lend the voice of the province to the message.

It’s held within a Star Trek licence frame that also bears the quotes, “We are the Borg,” and “Resistance is Futile.”

The context was there. It may not be there for someone else with the same license plate, but this driver had it.

ok doser

as a comparison, how about a US serviceman driving around Japan with plates that read "NUKE EM" bracketed by a frame that reads "Lean Cuisine" on the top and "Dinners For One" on the bottom?

rexlunae

It’s held within a Star Trek licence frame that also bears the quotes, “We are the Borg,” and “Resistance is Futile.”

The context was there. It may not be there for someone else with the same license plate, but this driver had it.

I did note that. But people who don't get the reference won't make the connection, and I think it's within the rights of the province to decline to participate in such messaging. That doesn't mean he can't put the same message on his car, only that he can't necessarily do it with his province-issued license plate.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I did note that. But people who don't get the reference won't make the connection, and I think it's within the rights of the province to decline to participate in such messaging. That doesn't mean he can't put the same message on his car, only that he can't necessarily do it with his province-issued license plate.

:doh: I missed that you did mention it. But if you're suggesting that he incorporate the context within the plate then I don't see how that's possible, given the space limitations. He already has to abbreviate the word.

rexlunae

:doh: I missed that you did mention it. But if you're suggesting that he incorporate the context within the plate then I don't see how that's possible, given the space limitations. He already has to abbreviate the word.

I'm suggesting that he not use the license plate for the message. He can place messages on the car apart from the license plate. That is, essentially, what a bumper sticker does. The problem comes up when the province's voice is co-opted for a message that can be seen to marginalize its people. I think the province has a right to control the use of its authority.

rexlunae

I have a neighbor with the license plate "YOUR MOM."

That's probably intended to be offensive, right?

How about it GJ? Do you care about the seeming intention of current presidential administration of this country to shut up newspapers who publish things the President doesn't like? Do you take free speech seriously, or is it just a cudgel to use against your enemies?

ok doser

:think: what if he had an innocuous plate with an offensive bracket?

maybe a plate that reads "THEIR" and a bracket that reads "Let's Steal" on the top and "Land Again" on the bottom :banana:

ok doser

I'm offended that a canadian has a personalized plate glorifying the next generation star trek

a true canadian would glorify shatner

glassjester

How about it GJ? Do you care about the seeming intention of current presidential administration of this country to shut up newspapers who publish things the President doesn't like? Do you take free speech seriously, or is it just a cudgel to use against your enemies?

What specific changes are being proposed?

glassjester

Apparently, some sort of Constutional amendment to make it easier for news outlets to be sued for libel.

Based solely on that statement, I think it seems like a bad idea.
But it would be foolish for me to base an opinion on such a vague description.

Not that I've never done anything foolish before...
Though I try not to.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm suggesting that he not use the license plate for the message. He can place messages on the car apart from the license plate. That is, essentially, what a bumper sticker does. The problem comes up when the province's voice is co-opted for a message that can be seen to marginalize its people. I think the province has a right to control the use of its authority.
I'm not convinced that a vanity plate is co-opting the voice of the province. It seems like the logical extension of that is that the gov't is supporting any message in a vanity plate which doesn't seem like a reasonable conclusion.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
At least in this case someone seeing a license plate wouldn't know it was someone's name. And after the controversy over Trump's comments about grabbing women maybe the woman thought it was playing off that.

I'm not saying he should be forced to change the license plate but I can understand the complaint in this case a lot more than the ASIMIL8 situation.

You understand the complaint? Seriously? Even if he means grab her, so what if someone is offended by it, should we make all laws based on what someone might be offended by? How about if you offend me, should you be forced to stay inside because of it?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Last days:

Matthew 24:10-12

10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.

Ever seen so many offended by so many idiotic things as you do today?