Stryper Returns to the Music Scene

drbrumley

For Immediate Release:
June 16, 2003

Stryper Returns to the Music Scene

Legendary Christian rock band announces its first-ever reunion tour this fall as ALL original members celebrate the quartet’s 20th anniversary

Deep South Entertainment announces the 2003 Stryper Reunion Tour, the band’s first nationwide performance junket in more than 12 years, slated to kick-off in the Northeast in early October. The tour will run across the United States, playing approximately 30 concerts. While markets and venues are still being finalized, tour dates will be announced in early July via the Internet on both www.stryper.com and www.michaelsweet.com.

Originally formed in 1983 in Orange County, California, by brothers Michael and Robert Sweet and guitarist Oz Fox (joined shortly thereafter by bassist Tim Gaines), Stryper has sold more than seven million records worldwide over its career and has garnered critical and fan acclaim worldwide. The band earned its stripes on the Los Angeles metal club circuit, and in 1984 signed with Enigma Records, releasing its debut mini-album, The Yellow And Black Attack, then going on to record six more records over nearly a decade.

Lead vocalist/guitarist Michael Sweet comments, “We were four guys, who played ordinary music, with ordinary skills, yet what God did with the band from 1983 to 1991, was not ordinary at all. It was extraordinary!” When Stryper formed, few could have predicted the band would go on to pack arenas, have #1 MTV requests with the Top 40 hits “Honestly” and “Calling on You,” and sell millions of albums around the world.

Fan interest has been constant and relentless. Between online chat-groups and classic rock magazines, word of Stryper’s reunion is building a tremendous buzz. Guitarist Oz Fox said it best “I am thrilled to see continued interest in Stryper. I am amazed at the e-mails I’ve received through the years and how many lives the band has touched.”

The band’s moniker, Stryper, is an acrostic that means Salvation Through Redemption Yielding Peace, Encouragement and Righteousness. The Isaiah 53:5 reference under the Stryper logo is a Bible verse that states, "…by His stripes we are healed." The band’s first full-length release, Soldiers Under Command, sold more than 500,000 units worldwide in the 1980s and was a mainstay on Billboard's Top 200 album chart for over 40 weeks. In addition to the hard-rocking tunes that Stryper's core audience has come to expect, the ballad "Honestly" from the platinum-selling 1986 release To Hell With The Devil hit the Top 40 charts. The video for "Honestly" rapidly became the number one most-requested video on MTV. The year 1988 saw the near-platinum release of In God We Trust, as well as renewed success on MTV, which was bombarded by thousands of phone requests for the track "Always There For You."

Coming off a successful tour in 1989, the band released Against The Law, which shipped gold in the fall of 1990.

In 1991, Enigma Records went bankrupt, and Stryper was left without a record company. This was short-lived however, as Hollywood Records quickly picked up the band. In the summer of 1991, the quartet released Can't Stop The Rock, a "best of" album with two new tracks.

In January of 1992, Michael Sweet left the band to pursue a solo career. Although Robert Sweet, Oz Fox and Tim Gaines officially continued as a three-piece outfit for another year, there were no further studio recordings for Stryper once Michael left the band.

Michael Sweet was the first band member to re-appear on the music scene, when he secured a solo deal with Christian label Benson Records (Benson distributed Stryper to Christian retail stores in the 1980s). This union produced two albums: the self-titled set Michael Sweet and Real. In 1998, Sweet released a full-length independent demo titled Truth. This generated label interest, and he was soon signed to Restless Records. The remastered and updated version of Truth was released in early 2001.

After Stryper, Tim Gaines, Oz Fox, and Robert Sweet have all continued in the music industry. Each member has participated in numerous musical projects over the past decade.

Michael Sweet continues to write and record music and plans to release two solo projects next year. One will be a “rock” record showcasing newly written and recorded songs, while the other will be a hymns project. He also is busy producing new acts with co-producing partner Kenny Lewis. Sweet and Lewis co-produced two new Stryper songs released March 25, 2003, on Seven, The Best of Stryper, through Hollywood Records, distributed to Christian outlets by Forefront Records.

While there is no officially scheduled release for another Stryper album, there are talks and a strong possibility for a Stryper live album and/or DVD recorded throughout the upcoming tour.

Stay tuned for the announcement of the Stryper Reunion Tour dates early next month.

rfburnhertz

Repent Leo, repent
Okay,

what Styper did for Christian music was great....
but they stunk imho.

Micheal Sweet solo did some good stuff though.

I'm glad they are back only in the fact that they will be spreading the gospel....
but I'll be carrying an extra set of ear plugs just in case I happen across their music.

Curtsibling

Looks like everyone is getting in on the 1980's retro thing!

Stryper! Ack, choke!

*I care not about their views, but I think their music is dodgy*

Freak

I first saw them back at the Night of Joy in Orlando, Florida back in 1988-1989 and I thought they were pretty good in concert.

ThePreterist

Ok, I admit it! I have a few of their albums (including the "To Hell with the Devil" that has the "real" cover, not the toned down black cover that went to the Christian stores because the graphic one upset the tender little minds of Christiandom.).

They weren't bad for what they were, and that was the first Christian pop-metal band to break into the mainstream. My biggest problem with them was the whiney attitude about Christians rejecting their music.

Ed

drbrumley

ThePreterist,

Ok, I admit it! I have a few of their albums (including the "To Hell with the Devil" that has the "real" cover, not the toned down black cover that went to the Christian stores because the graphic one upset the tender little minds of Christiandom.).

Good deal! Sometimes when I walk into a record store and just look around, I head over to where Stryper should be and can hardly ever find anything.

They weren't bad for what they were, and that was the first Christian pop-metal band to break into the mainstream. My biggest problem with them was the whiney attitude about Christians rejecting their music.

I thought they were outstanding. To bad rfburnhertz has a different opinion on that but it's ok. I remember when they came out, I was attending Wesconnett Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Florida and this was a big deal in christian circles. As a teenager, I saw no problem with Stryper banging with the best. The older folks just hated it. It got so bad across the country that they had to say something. It may have came across as whiney, but please remember that they never got any peace. They were continually harassed by Christians and Non-Christians alike. Very sad, and thats what I believe to have finally caused the split.

In Christ,
DRBrumley

Last edited:

drbrumley

Originally posted by Freak
I first saw them back at the Night of Joy in Orlando, Florida back in 1988-1989 and I thought they were pretty good in concert.

You were a hard rock lover in your old days Freak?

Freak

I listened to everything from Aerosmith to Van Halen to White Cross (Christian band) to Boston to Rush to Gun & Roses to Joe Satriani.

Nowadays I prefer praise music (with a little edge) but still listen to some Joe Satriani....

Freak

For the record:

I listen to all kinds of music now: Top 40, Regaee, Rock, Christian, etc...

Flipper

Joe Satriani?

Freak, maybe you're not so bad.

That man is ferociously good at playing the guitar. I should quite like to go see him live some day.