The Agnostic Religion

PureX

allsmiles said:
i couldn't agree more. an honest reading and appraisal of the contents of the bible is very often all it takes to turn someone away from the christian faith. that's what happened to me, once i began to read the bible in the light of historical events surrounding and motivating it's construction, i couldn't help but cease to take it literally.
The unfortunate thing is, it was never intended to be taken literally.

The men who wrote those scriptures intended them to inspire thought, discussion, debate and even argument. They wanted people to address the concept God in their own hearts and minds and to share what they found there with others. This was the "living God" that they often referred to. The books of the bible were intended to teach, but not by presenting a dogmatic ideology. They were meant to teach in the best sense of that word: to invite the reader to grapple with the mystery that "God" is and has always been to mankind, for himself.

A big reason people reject the bible is because religion has taught them that they were supposed to take it as a literal dogmatic representation of what God is and what God does and what God thinks. Considered under these inflexible conditions, the bible would be pretty impossible for an intelligent, honest person to take seriously.

Granite

Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:
i couldn't agree more. an honest reading and appraisal of the contents of the bible is very often all it takes to turn someone away from the christian faith. that's what happened to me, once i began to read the bible in the light of historical events surrounding and motivating it's construction, i couldn't help but cease to take it literally.

Reading the Old Testament alone can do the trick...:readthis:

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
Anyone in here read "The Plot"? It's a good tool in understanding the Bible. I think disbelief comes from a misunderstanding of God, His work and His intentions. A kid reading the Bible with his own agenda, raised in the good ol' USA won't likely take to the Bible quickly as much of what Christianity stands for has been abated by contemporary American thought, evolution and philosophy.

The Pastor at my Aunt's church asked us all a question, I've never thought about before. He asked, "If you went to heaven and all your family and everyone else you cared about on Earth was there. Would you care if Jesus was absent?" Any Christian (or agnostic with Christian hopes/intentions/disagreements or whatever) who puts some real thought into it and answers no, must then realize that their heart isn't really in it for God. God isn't there to come around when we need Him to serve us. We are supposed to serve God and love Him and desire Him with every fiber of our being.

Atheists and Agnostics share at least one thing in common. They are both angry at the alleged God who they (oddly enough) don't believe in or aren't sure exists. That says to me that they are in it for them. They don't feel that God "plays fair" and hold resentment toward Him for not attending to all the needs of the world.

Or they just think it's stupid.

I for one have truly felt His presence and the effect He has on my life when I put all my thought and effort into following and loving Him. It's important not to get discouraged by your own failure to understand and truly love Him. I've fallen a few times and almost rejected Him once. It's important to remember when at first you don't succeed...

Granite

Hall of Fame
death2impiety said:
Anyone in here read "The Plot"? It's a good tool in understanding the Bible. I think disbelief comes from a misunderstanding of God, His work and His intentions. A kid reading the Bible with his own agenda, raised in the good ol' USA won't likely take to the Bible quickly as much of what Christianity stands for has been abated by contemporary American thought, evolution and philosophy.

The Pastor at my Aunt's church asked us all a question, I've never thought about before. He asked, "If you went to heaven and all your family and everyone else you cared about on Earth was there. Would you care if Jesus was absent?" Any Christian (or agnostic with Christian hopes/intentions/disagreements or whatever) who puts some real thought into it and answers no, must then realize that their heart isn't really in it for God. God isn't there to come around when we need Him to serve us. We are supposed to serve God and love Him and desire Him with every fiber of our being.

Atheists and Agnostics share at least one thing in common. They are both angry at the alleged God who they (oddly enough) don't believe in or aren't sure exists. That says to me that they are in it for them. They don't feel that God "plays fair" and hold resentment toward Him for not attending to all the needs of the world.

Or they just think it's stupid.

I for one have truly felt His presence and the effect He has on my life when I put all my thought and effort into following and loving Him. It's important not to get discouraged by your own failure to understand and truly love Him. I've fallen a few times and almost rejected Him once. It's important to remember when at first you don't succeed...

Wrong. I'm angry with organized religion as a whole and Christianity in particular for the damage they cause. "God" is either not there or so ethereal it would be pointless to feel one way or another towards he, she, or it.

servent101

Deathtoimpunity
They are both angry at the alleged God who they (oddly enough) don't believe in or aren't sure exists.

Possibly they are sure that god does not exist - and just are not sure if another God does exist that is not some sort of diabolical monster. You do not seem to realize the god you worship is found and described or taken by going bizzerk (orthodox mindset) over some Source of Writings - taking what is metaphore as literal.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

PureX

death2impiety said:
You have no idea how atheists or agnostics think or feel. You've simply made this up because it's the representation of them that best suits your own religious bias.

Atheists are not angry at God because they don't believe in a god to be angry at. If they are angry at all, it's at religion for telling lies about the existence of God and for using those lies to control, manipulate, and exploit people. Agnostics believe that the question of the existence or non-existence (and therefor the nature) of God cannot be answered under the current circumstances, so they could hardly be angry at a god that they neither know the nature of, nor even the existence of.

If you're experiencing anger from atheists and agnostics, it's more likely that they're reacting to your own condescending bias. "Believers" have a tendancy to be completely blind to their own irrational arrogance when it comes to interacting with other people who do not happen to share their beliefs. Your own post is a good example.

allsmiles

death2impiety said:

then what good is it? no offense, but if it isn't possible to take it for what it's worth and be willing to let the holy spirit do it's work, then what good is it to modern americans? it's totally out of it's element, i agree, but i would go further and say that it's lost it's significance. the bible is just as susceptible to the sands of time as is every other sacred text that has ever been written and been claimed to be the exclusive path to god.

what do you have to offer your god that he could have any possible use for?

serving god is a contradiction in terms and makes absolutely no sense.

you used my favorite word! :BRAVO: if one of you can change, you all can!!!!

but seriously folks...;)

i'm not angry with your god, like Granite said, i'm angry with christians. i've said it once, i'll say it a thousand times, the worst part of christianity is christians, that's who i'm angry with. i'm furious with the christians who sacked Constantinople, i'm furious with the christians who destroyed pagan temples and built their own on top of them. i'm furious for the burned books and witches, etc.

i'm not angry with your god d2i, you should know this by now, and any honest atheist/agnostic will say the same thing. i cannot logically be angry with something that does not exist, but i am angry with those who seek to perpetuate a symbol as something that it is not.

or they just think it's stupid.

that's a possibility as well. the biblical depiction of god is a fickle, hyper sensitive one that smacks of incompetence and callous indifference.

if it doesn't work it's either

a) satan
b) lies or
c) failure on the part of the person

i submit

d) it just ain't true

funny you should be willing to explore a-c yet dismiss d because of the existence of a-c.

:think:

shilohproject

allsmiles said:
Fortunately, literalism is not a requirement, rather is just a nice warm blanket some folks wrap themselves in to stave off the cold wind of responsibility and reason. Too bad, God is good!:cool:

OMEGA

i'm not angry with your god, like Granite said, i'm angry with christians. i've said it once, i'll say it a thousand times, the worst part of christianity is christians, that's who i'm angry with. i'm furious with the christians who sacked Constantinople, i'm furious with the christians who destroyed pagan temples and built their own on top of them. i'm furious for the burned books and witches, etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who Sacked Constantinople ?

Who Burned the Witches ?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
OMEGA said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who Sacked Constantinople ?
People.

Who Burned the Witches ?
People.

Your point?

OMEGA

All smiles

All smiles

WRONG,

Christians did not Sack Constantinople.

The Idolatrous, Satan Led, Pagan Catholics did.

The following is from the internet.

In 1204 AD, Roman Catholic crusaders of the Fourth Crusade attacked and sacked Constantinople , leaving behind a legacy of bitterness among Eastern Church which continues to this day.

Papal authority is principally responsible for the accusation, torture and burning for two centuries (1450-1650) of tens of thousands, of what they called, witches .
The Malleus Maleficarum (The Witch Hammer), first published in 1486,
is arguably one of the most infamous books ever written, due primarily to its
position and regard during the Middle Ages. It served as a guidebook for
Inquisitors during the Inquisition, and was designed to aid them in the
identification, prosecution, and dispatching of Witches. It set forth, as
well, many of the modern misconceptions and fears concerning witches and the
influence of witchcraft. The questions, definitions, and accusations it set
forth in regard to witches, which were reinforced by its use during the
Inquisition, came to be widely regarded as irrefutable truth. Those beliefs
are held even today by a majority of Christians in regard to practitioners of
the modern “revived” religion of Witchcraft, or Wicca. And while the Malleus
itself is largely unknown in modern times, its effects have proved long
lasting.
At the time of the writing of The Malleus Maleficarum, there were many
voices within the Christian community (scholars and theologians) who doubted
the existence of witches and largely regarded such belief as mere
superstition. The authors of the Malleus addressed those voices in no
uncertain terms, stating: “Whether the Belief that there are such Beings as
Witches is so Essential a Part of the Catholic Faith that Obstinacy to
maintain the Opposite Opinion manifestly savours of Heresy.” The immediate,
and lasting, popularity of the Malleus essentially silenced those voices. It
made very real the threat of one being branded a heretic, simply by virtue of
one's questioning of the existence of witches and, thus, the validity of the
Inquisition. It set into the general Christian consciousness, for all time, a
belief in the existence of witches as a real and valid threat to the Christian
world. It is a belief which is held to this day.
It must be noted that during the Inquisition, few, if any, real,
verifiable, witches were ever discovered or tried. Often the very accusation
was enough to see one branded a witch, tried by the Inquisitors' Court, and
burned alive at the stake. Estimates of the death toll during the Inquisition
worldwide range from 600,000 to as high as 9,000,000 (over its 250 year long
course); either is a chilling number when one realizes that nearly all of the
accused were women, and consisted primarily of outcasts and other suspicious
persons. Old women. Midwives. Jews. Poets. Gypsies. Anyone who did not fit
within the contemporary view of pieous Christians were suspect, and easily
branded "Witch". Usually to devastating effect.
It must also be noted that the crime of Witchcraft was not the only
crime of which one could be accused during the Inquisition. By questioning any
part of Catholic belief, one could be branded a heretic. Scientists were
branded heretics by virtue of repudiating certain tenets of Christian belief
(most notably Galileo, whose theories on the nature of planets and
gravitational fields was initially branded heretical). Writers who challenged
the Church were arrested for heresy (sometimes formerly accepted writers whose
works had become unpopular). Anyone who questioned the validity of any part of
Catholic belief did so at their own risk. The Malleus Maleficarum played an
important role in bringing such Canonical law into being, as often the charge
of heresy carried along with it suspicions of witchcraft.
It must be remembered that the Malleus is a work of its time. Science
had only just begun to make any real advances. At that time nearly any
unexplainable illness or malady would often be attributed to magic, and thus
the activity of witches. It was a way for ordinary people to make sense of the
world around them. The Malleus drew upon those beliefs, and, by its very
existence, reinforced them and brought them into the codified belief system of
the Catholic Church. In many ways, it could be said that it helped to validate
the Inquisition itself.
While the Malleus itself cannot be blamed for the Inquisition or the
horrors inflicted upon mankind by the Inquisitors, it certainly played an
important role. Thus has it been said that The Malleus Maleficarum is one of
the most blood-soaked works in human history, in that its very existence
reinforced and validated Catholic beliefs which led to the prosecution,
torture, and murder, of tens of thousands of innocent people.
The lasting effect of the Malleus upon the world can only be measured
in the lives of the hundreds of thousands of men, women, and even children,
who suffered, and died, at the hands of the Catholic Inquisitors during the
Inquisition. Its effects were even felt in the New World, where the last gasp of the Inquisition was felt in the English settlements in America (most notably in Salem, Massachusetts during the Salem Witch Trials).

=====================================

True Christians were in their homes quietly praying and asking God to protect them

from the Evil, Power hungry Catholic Church.

Last edited:

angelfightfire

Granite said:
Been there, done that, still happily undecided.

Sure.

I was just being friendly. Maybe it is actually annoying to post on a list and
have someone attempt to convert you by undue hope in a complete stranger.

Do not mistake what I said, I was not implying that reading the Bible, or going
to Church, nor anything other work on man's part could possibly bring them
everlasting life in Jesus Christ. It is entirely by grace, and so there is absolutely
no boasting rights on my part -- except that we Christians are born somehow
the nothings of this world, those with less personal spirit then everyone else...
the outsiders in this world, the constant foreigners even in our own homeland.

Maybe God is leading you quietly, maybe not at all. I do not know. I do not
consider evangelism to be my role within the Church, anyway.

angelfightfire

PureX said:
No, not really. Lots of people become agnostic from being raised Christian after finally "reading the whole bible". And even moreso, after actually considering what they've read.

I do not know, I do not have exact statistics on it. It is very common to wave one's
hand and say, "Oh, I read the whole thing", when, in fact, the person simply does
not want to appear foolish for arguing about a thing they have not even read.

However, surely there is a wide difference between studied agnostics who post
on Christian forums for whatever reason... and agnostics I tend to meet in random
forums or on the street.

Regardless, as I replied to the other poster... reading the Bible does not save a
person, in actuality, and I was not intending to imply that. No work saves a person
whatsoever, but only faith in God through grace. There are, no doubt, countless
Christians who have read the Bible and know it quite thoroughly but believe hardly
a word of it.

Then there is a very lesser number of individuals who actually know what is going
on, but have no trust in God.

But, whatever, I was just being friendly, I do not consider evangelism one of
my talents.

Rydo

PureX said:
The unfortunate thing is, it was never intended to be taken literally.
I know many Christians personally who would vehemently disagree with you.

angelfightfire

Granite said:
Reading the Old Testament alone can do the trick...:readthis:

FYI, if anyone wants to corner me here, I am a huge fan of the Old Testament.

Ask me about how horrible a person I am or something, or why God allows evil
to exist... or is there really any free will at all, if you want, just for conversational
purposes.

Or, hey, look at nature: look at the crime in the streets, the rapes, the tortures,
the murders, the rise of Islamism and Nazism and Marxism (noting that you are
"more right then left")... look at the horrible insects that lay their babies in living
prey only to have them slowly eat them out from the inside... or plagues or
natural disasters... or whatever horrors this world holds.

There legacy of world horrors seems to never end. And each of us have had our
own curses and terrible dilemmas to deal with... some much more then others.

And, noting, you have said that you have read the entire Bible, I could point out
for me, what I have found to be true is what Paul said about how the Law, though
Holy and Good creates death in us, for when we read the Law our fleshly, 'sinful
as it is', rebels against it at every twist and turn. 'So I did not know of covetousness,
but when I read of it sin in me created everyone form of covetousness and so
death was born'... to paraphrase.

And I can point out, having the same flesh as anyone else, my heart is full of
every manner of sin all through the day... granted through the grace of God,
I am able to resist much of it, yet even still I give in here and there... and we
are full of incredible hypocrises of deceit... as another writer noted, 'the heart
is deceitful above all else'.

So, what of all of this?

And, to go even further, there is the book of "The Preacher", which points out
that everything in life is vain, useless, meaningless... we strive, but the race
is not to the swiftest, but luck and chance happen to all... Einstein said that
he can not believe God uses dice, but the Scripture states otherwise: the
world is cast about in varying laws and probabilities...

In fact, to believe in such things, to even know them, is largely and completely
impossible for the flesh. There is no way man can just stroll up into the spiritual
planes and force a meeting with God.

God hides Himself in everything, yet His presence is everywhere.

angelfightfire

angelfightfire said:
FYI, if anyone wants to corner me here, I am a huge fan of the Old Testament.

Ask me about how horrible a person I am or something, or why God allows evil
to exist... or is there really any free will at all, if you want, just for conversational
purposes.

Or, hey, look at nature: look at the crime in the streets, the rapes, the tortures,
the murders, the rise of Islamism and Nazism and Marxism (noting that you are
"more right then left")... look at the horrible insects that lay their babies in living
prey only to have them slowly eat them out from the inside... or plagues or
natural disasters... or whatever horrors this world holds.

There legacy of world horrors seems to never end. And each of us have had our
own curses and terrible dilemmas to deal with... some much more then others.

And, noting, you have said that you have read the entire Bible, I could point out
for me, what I have found to be true is what Paul said about how the Law, though
Holy and Good creates death in us, for when we read the Law our fleshly, 'sinful
as it is', rebels against it at every twist and turn. 'So I did not know of covetousness,
but when I read of it sin in me created everyone form of covetousness and so
death was born'... to paraphrase.

And I can point out, having the same flesh as anyone else, my heart is full of
every manner of sin all through the day... granted through the grace of God,
I am able to resist much of it, yet even still I give in here and there... and we
are full of incredible hypocrises of deceit... as another writer noted, 'the heart
is deceitful above all else'.

So, what of all of this?

And, to go even further, there is the book of "The Preacher", which points out
that everything in life is vain, useless, meaningless... we strive, but the race
is not to the swiftest, but luck and chance happen to all... Einstein said that
he can not believe God uses dice, but the Scripture states otherwise: the
world is cast about in varying laws and probabilities...

In fact, to believe in such things, to even know them, is largely and completely
impossible for the flesh. There is no way man can just stroll up into the spiritual
planes and force a meeting with God.

God hides Himself in everything, yet His presence is everywhere.

Actually, apologies, this entire thread is a digression for me, I should not state
that I wish to have a philosophical discussion here, as in "if anyone wishes to
corner me". I may visit the thread again, but then again, any other Christian
could take up where I have left off here. Such is the nature of our spiritual unity.

angelfightfire

Granite said:
Wrong. I'm angry with organized religion as a whole and Christianity in particular for the damage they cause. "God" is either not there or so ethereal it would be pointless to feel one way or another towards he, she, or it.

Actually, Christianity is not really an organized religion in the way that other religions are, at least, that is ultimately what Scriptures say. This is how we can have fellowship with each other - Christians - despite denominational or Church walls. I know Christians alike, Protestant, Catholic, Orthdox... or something outside of that.

On the outside, sure, it looks organized. The key word here is not being mentioned, however, and that is "man", as in "organized by man".

If, for instance, you think I agree with what some of the "leaders" of some of the main evangelical Churches are doing or have done -- that is absolutely false. Yet, can I reject a brother or sister in Christ merely because someone stands up in a crowd, declares themself a leader, and represents Christ in some horrible way to all of the world -- to defame all Christians and the Name of Christ himself?

And we have built into our faith the concept of false Christians, false prophets, and anti-Christian cults. Judas was one of the twelve. Most of Israel was rebellious. We have countless cults coming out from us... and under our guidelines these are anti-Christian cults... some who directly deny the Lord, some who claim to be His followers. Even Nazis claimed to be Christians, even while they persecuted true Christians and followed pagan and satanic rituals and beliefs. Nevermind that Christians largely comprised the Allied forces, nevermind that countless Christians worked tirelessly against the Nazi powers -- what are we remembered for in that war by countless non-Christians? We are remembered for the incredible lie the Nazis perpetuated.

It is a wilderness, truly, of walls. It is a world of lies. Somewhere, out there, is the truth. And, it does not help that true Christians even often never progress beyond trying to merely sort out good from evil... far less from them to actually shine their lights in the world and impress the world of the good name of Christ. (Though, I do believe we have done this, and we have done it amply, however our detractors are endless with their propaganda against us... and we do not always bother to trumpet our own beliefs loud enough...)

But, whatever. Blame us for everything, for all of the sins of the world, and throw the Jews in there with us. Then, proclaim Islamists and Marxists and Nazis the truly oppressed, the righteous amongst the guilty... and we the criminals of the whole world. We are used to it. Such is our lot. The whole world hates us. Great. We hate the world.

But, as you have the patience to actually spend time on these forums and not scream and yell at us about why we killed billions and billions of people... maybe you do perceive that subtle twinkle in the eyes... that existance of a plane and a reality which is true and from which all of the lies of the world can but shadow and mimic.

Ugh, and I did not want to continue in this thread. I am a creature of compulsions beyond my own understanding. And proud of it. :)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
a-gnostic contemplations

a-gnostic contemplations

If agnosticism includes recognition that 'God' cannot be wholly or perfectly known, realized or proven to exist......then all are agnostic...for there is not one person alive today that, whether they have their god-revelation from Spirit or inspired writings can claim to totally have discovered/come to know God in his fulness. (or can they?)

Seen from another perspective......those who do claim to know God in whatever degree and deem this knowledge 'essential' for salvation are 'gnostic' esentially.

An observer may note that neither an agnostic or a gnostic have anything that is validated apart from subjective opinion or 'limited' knowledge. Can one have perfect knowledge of God as a finite human being? Even the most faithful believer in 'God' must admit his knowledge of God is partial to his own perception of what he deems is 'God'.

When the cows come home and the church doors close.....the believer still accepts that he only knows God to a degree and doesnt know him by relative degree pending his own finite capabilities. Does someone here know God perfectly/wholly/thoroughly in the totality of His Infinite BEING? While this view could be had in some metaphysical schools who assume that the "I" that I AM is the Mind of God having universal access to infinite intelligence....the general concensus among most relative theology is that our knowledge of God is limited albiet growing as we ascend Godward towards spiritual perfection/revelation or that we will know all things by and by when we get to 'heaven' in some projected future.

As a final quest-ion......while agnosticism may be more like a transitory view rather than a religion per se.....how could this 'view' be guided to something more fruitful, provided that such an authentic knowledge of God could actually be possessed? Or maybe this view is the most sound without one going fully into the realm of 'faith' or complete atheism.(assuming that both these views may be illogical in the light of certain rationale). In the end, the soul chooses what suits it at any given time in its evolution...which makes for a wonderful journey.

One thing I do know...or at least is consciously evident......is that....I AM.
If this Self-discovery or realization is the beginning of true gnosis or salvation...then thats another chapter :)

paul

PureX

Rydo said:
I know many Christians personally who would vehemently disagree with you.
Yes, and it's their vehemence that exposes their neediness for a "how to" book. Of course where there are sheep in need of someone to tell them what to believe, there will always be a wolf ready to accomodate them.

PureX

freelight said:
As a final quest-ion......while agnosticism may be more like a transitory view rather than a religion per se.....how could this 'view' be guided to something more fruitful, provided that such an authentic knowledge of God could actually be possessed? Or maybe this view is the most sound without one going fully into the realm of 'faith' or complete atheism.(assuming that both these views may be illogical in the light of certain rationale). In the end, the soul chooses what suits it at any given time in its evolution...which makes for a wonderful journey.
I've always been puzzled by this "need to know" God in the first place. Whether or not God exists, why would I "need to know"? I'm an agnostic because I'm able to admit my limitations as a human being, and I understand that as a limited finite human being, I can't prove or disprove the existence of an infinite proposition like "God". This doesn't bother me, however, because I see no reason that I should be able to prove or to know such things. I don't need to know them, and in fact I believe my life would be very bizarre and quite possibly meaningless if I did know these things. Most of the gifts that I receive as a human being are because of the limitations I experience as a human being. A life based on faith, rather then on knowledge of the infinite, is a life of wonder and freedom. I don't want to be God. I don't want to know what God knows. I don't need to know that a "God" exists, or what is the nature of this "God" if it does exist.

I'm an ignorant human, and I'm glad of it. I can choose to believe in the God that I hope exists, or I can choose to believe in a God of someone else's invention, or I can choose to believe there is no God at all, or I can even choose not to choose. And so can everyone else. It's our ignorance that makes us all so free. I think we ought to be grateful for this.