Theology Club: The Olive Tree

Jerry Shugart

1 John 5
18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

This verse separates the men from the boys.
JS claims to be born of God.

You answered nothing which I said and then you talk about verses which separate the men from the boys. Why didn't you answer any of the verses which I quoted that separates the men from the boys?

Peter was one of those who were "born of God" because he received the Lord Jesus:

"He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the children of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God" (Jn.1:11-13).​

Anyone who has actually read the Bible knows that Peter did in fact sin after being born of God:

"But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation. But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?" (Gal.2:11-14).​

Peter was born of God but yet he did in fact sin. So you quote verses which you do not even understand to support your silly ideas. Let us look at this verse which you quoted:

"We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not" (1 Jn.5:18).​

A child partakes of the nature of His Parent. Any sins which a saved person commits does not stem from his regenerate nature. Sin cannot spring from what a Christian truly is at the level of his regenerate nature.

And that is exactly what John is speaking of and what Paul is speaking of here:

"For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me" (Ro.7:19-20).​

SaulToPaul 2

1 John 5
18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

This verse separates the men from the boys.
JS claims to be born of God.

1 John 3
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.