Three Men Marry (each other) in Colombia

glassjester

I understand that you are against contraception and agree that it's your right to not use it. Insofar as infertility being a health issue ... so what. It still exists and IF marriage was solely for the intent of procreation, those who cannot reproduce shouldn't be allowed to marry.

There is no logical contradiction in affirming the procreative purpose of marriage, while maintaining that infertility is not an impediment to marriage. The Catholic Church has done so for centuries. I am not saying we should base our law on Catholic teaching - just pointing out the logical possibility of such a policy.

Now that that has been established, how exactly will we know whether or not someone is capable of reproduction without mandating a medical exam prior to issuing a marriage license?

It hasn't been established.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no logical contradiction in affirming the procreative purpose of marriage, while maintaining that infertility is not an impediment to marriage. The Catholic Church has done so for centuries. I am not saying we should base our law on Catholic teaching - just pointing out the logical possibility of such a policy.

IF that is the case, people really need to stop using it as an argument against SSM.

It hasn't been established.

Then it shouldn't ever be part of the criteria for deciding who can or cannot marry.

glassjester

So rather than actually cite who said it and where you tried a con game to get me to say an approximation of it under flase pretense so you could pounce and say "gotch!" even though I didn't.

So what part of your little game here is not a lie? Or are you unwilling to own up to your words?

Here you go, Mr. Dante. Here's a bunch of same-sex marriage advocates all publicly claiming that same-sex marriage will not lead to polygamy:

No, Ben Carson... same sex marriage will not lead to polygamy

No, Polygamy isn't the next gay marriage

Chief Justice John Roberts says the Supreme Court’s gay marriage ruling paves the way for plural unions. He’s wrong.

Polygamy is not next

Why Gay Marriage Doesn't open the door to Polygamy

And you agree with them, don't you?

glassjester

Maybe they know the statistics on marriage and adding the criminality to it is a push in the cohabitation direction, inadvertently.

Knowing the statistics on it should have no bearing on individual choice.

I know that something like 30% of women have been abused by a husband or boyfriend, right? But I'm not worried that somehow that means I might start beating my wife. It has no bearing on my individual behavior, does it?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knowing the statistics on it should have no bearing on individual choice.

I know that something like 30% of women have been abused by a husband or boyfriend, right? But I'm not worried that somehow that means I might start beating my wife. It has no bearing on my individual behavior, does it?

It shouldn't ... but then you are not the person who would be on the worst end of the situation. For any woman who has been a victim of domestic abuse OR witnessed it towards someone close to them, they SHOULD be skeptical.

glassjester

I agree with you. I was following the logic of your earlier concern about marriage. In keeping with our agreement on the point, then homosexuals marrying should be equally unimpactful on how we value and what we do.

That's not a very good comparison.

If wife-beating were legalized (as same-sex marriage has been), it would greatly impact marriage, as an institution.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

If wife-beating were legalized (as same-sex marriage has been), it would greatly impact marriage, as an institution.

The two are not comparable. While some women will end up staying (which I HIGHLY discourage), they are VICTIMS who are beaten against their will.

The only individuals who should be allowed to marry are consenting adults.

Arthur Brain

Except it wouldn't be, along with any other form of abusive practice. SSM isn't stopping heterosexuals from getting married, nor does it have any impact on those who wish to do so.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Except it wouldn't be, along with any other form of abusive practice. SSM isn't stopping heterosexuals from getting married, nor does it have any impact on those who wish to do so.

Any married couple who would decide that their marriage is no longer valuable because homosexuals are allowed to marry ... never really valued their marriage in the first place.

glassjester

The two are not comparable. While some women will end up staying (which I HIGHLY discourage), they are VICTIMS who are beaten against their will.

The only individuals who should be allowed to marry are consenting adults.

Ug.... not the point.

I know wife-beating wouldn't and shouldn't be legalized.

Arthur Brain

Any married couple who would decide that their marriage is no longer valuable because homosexuals are allowed to marry ... never really valued their marriage in the first place.

Precisely. What difference does it make to the relationship I value if gay people are afforded the same?

None.