toldailytopic: Are we exhibiting a lack of trust in God through vaccinations, insuran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 25th, 2010 08:05 AM

toldailytopic: Are we exhibiting a lack of trust in God through vaccinations, insurance, trust accounts, etc.?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Great question!

We don't vaccinate, but not because of anything to do with our faith in God, but because it's unwise.

I have mixed emotions about insurance. Other than car insurance, we don't have any. For the most part, it seems to me that insurance is motivated by fear, which is certainly related to not having faith.

I've always (and still do) lived under the idea that God knows about my circumstances, and if it's important to Him that they be different, then He certainly has the ability to change them. I can rest in that.

God-Breathed

I don't think so, God asks us to be wise, and in some cases I think it's just as wise an any man can be. Because we don't know what God will have for us. I'm sure that whether or not we have insurance however, or a vaccine, doesn't really matter when it comes time for the Lord to do what he wants to do!

Ps82

I agree with God-breathed. I think it is something we need to do to be wise in this world.

REGARDING PROFITS AND TRUST ACCOUNTS:
a.) There is evidence in the OT where God did not seem to mind that men grew crops and herds and to trade them ... even for cash. That cash was then used to purchase things... so God has no problem with his people taking part in an economic system.

b.) He also has said that a good man will leave an inheritance to his children and to his children's children... so making a profit does not seem offensive to God.

c.) However, trusting on an economy that is so heavily influenced by our government and the treasury committee (can't think at the moment what the name of that committee is - duh) may have been an unwise choice. Perhaps we should have been saving up herds of animals that continually re-produce and supply an on-going and growing profit. They automatically reproduce - so you buy a few and then they become many. They continually produce wool, milk, or meat for as long as you can feed them and fence them... and for as long as your descendants are willing to continue.

I'd like to know what ranchers have to say about how they fair with raising animals and leaving herds to their children as an inheritance.

Lately, my husband and have wondered what we might to if our retirement in savings and in the market was suddenly wiped out. Maybe we could raise animals. Would this be wise in a depression???

REGARDING VACCINATIONS:
Well, we are born susceptible to harm and death, and I feel that God has given wisdom to some people to become doctors in order to help us get through this world ... so having insurance to help cover the 'worldly cost' is wise in this day in time.

TO SEE WHETHER A PEOPLE HAVE LOST FAITH IN GOD ... LOOK AT THE GROWING NATIONAL TRENDS:
However, where a lack of faith is shown among people is when the citizens of a nation choose to allow a government to be their hope for their retirement, their healthcare, the economy, their rights, and everything else.

Our founding fathers understood that rights and freedoms were granted by God and not the government of men. The LORD warned Samuel of just how corrupt a king/government could become... and just how much it would persecute the people in order to maintain their power, agenda, and luxuries.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
time and time again we are asked whether or not we
trust in God
trust in the Bible
trust what Jesus did
when
the question you should be asking is
can we be trusted?
you are the one that must prove that

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Are we exhibiting a lack of trust in God through vaccinations, insurance, trust accounts, etc.?

No. Matthew 5:45.

Sinners and Saints get sun burned. Rivers don't ask whose house it is they're tumbling through. Hurricanes don't blow around churches.

Jackson

I have mixed emotions on vaccinations but I don't think it is a lack of trust. I mean I still brush my teeth as a preventative thing. vaccinations are the same thing, preventative.

Insurance is another thing. I agree with TH on this one. It's like the story of the guy that was sure God was going to rescue him and told the guys in the truck, the boat, and the helicopter so.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Well I choose to put my trust in things I know exist and usually work. So far, so good.

I don't think any amount of prayer would have covered the cost of doctors, home repairs, auto repairs and the like.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
A bit of an after thought - Does your god want you to take care of yourselves? Or go crying to him every time you stub your toe?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Great question!

We don't vaccinate, but not because of anything to do with our faith in God, but because it's unwise.

I have mixed emotions about insurance. Other than car insurance, we don't have any. For the most part, it seems to me that insurance is motivated by fear, which is certainly related to not having faith.

I've always (and still do) lived under the idea that God knows about my circumstances, and if it's important to Him that they be different, then He certainly has the ability to change them. I can rest in that.

Do you own your home? If so, did you get a mortgage?

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Vaccinations and insurance are sensible things to do and have.
I see absolutely no conflict between them and trusting God.
Have you heard the story about the man who was stuck in a flood and on top of his house? The police came by and offered to help him.
But he declined,saying that God would help him.
The police left. But the water kept rising. Again, more police came. But he continued to say God would help him. The water kept rising, and he drowned.
Then when he went before God, he asked why he had not helped him.
But God said," I kept sending the police to help you, but you refused every time". Get my point ?

Chalmer Wren

Perhaps God inspired man to create vaccines to improve our quality of life.

This seems like one of those 'How many angels can fit through the head of a pin' questions.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Depending on how you interpret scripture, sure. God will heal, provide, etc.
Praying to God and then going to the doctor is double minded. And the double minded man lacks faith and will not receive.
Although, I might take the trust account out of that.

Chalmer Wren

Depending on how you interpret scripture, sure. God will heal, provide, etc.
Praying to God and then going to the doctor is double minded. And the double minded man lacks faith and will not receive.
Although, I might take the trust account out of that.

But what of the doctor praying that his practice and dedication to healing might improve the lives of those around him/her?

Chalmer Wren

Great question!

I always thought of insurance as gambling. The insurance company bets against some circumstantial damage to your person or property.

Status
Not open for further replies.