toldailytopic: The ideal church service. How long? How much worship? What type of mes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ps82

Actually, I am very comfortable at my church as described above ... for my worship needs ... BUT if I were to want a church that was all about out-reach, this is how I would like it to work.

Typical church service on Sunday mornings ... but a mid afternoon service on Wednesdays.

The Wednesday service would be casual attire and designed for the 18-30 something group. Hopefully at a time where all these young people, who often work such odd hours, that they cannot attend a regular Sunday Service.

Using the 'Sunday School a.m. Bible Study' approach, this afternoon could be composed of Bible study teachers of small groups who would stagger their groups every 30 minutes... so that young people might be able to attend before or after work hours. The pastor might only oversee a large group service every other month... and make it something special.

Every 4th Wednesday ... the members would break into small groups... and rather than worshiping on the church campus... would go out in the public for dinner or for coffee and rolls taking along their Bibles for their group study.

Their only goal would be to demonstrate to un-churched people that socializing with like-minded Christians and studying the Bible together can be fun, normal, and legal.

Of course they should not tie up a table too long - taking away from a waitress's tip money - nor should they approach anyone ... but if anyone wants to approach them with questions, that would be fine.

I think that the church needs to leave the church walls and make the world their meeting place ... and substitute their comfortable hours for the hours of the focus group they want to reach.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
The part about hymns in your description reminds me of a church service I went to recently. It was a Mennonite church and the only music they had were a few hymns. It wasn't completely without music though. They did have a piano for a couple of the songs.

The Mennonite service was completely different from what I am used to but I enjoyed it. I liked the simplicity of it. It was very basic and very communal (though the small size is more conducive to that than larger churches that I'm used to).

So how in the world did you find yourself in a Mennonite church?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
So how in the world did you find yourself in a Mennonite church?

A couple friends of mine used to go to it (they've since moved away so they no longer attend). I was just visiting to check it out because I've been in a dialogue with this guy about various church related things. I'm soon moving to a house closer to this church, however, so I may end up going there more often.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
A couple friends of mine used to go to it (they've since moved away so they no longer attend). I was just visiting to check it out because I've been in a dialogue with this guy about various church related things. I'm soon moving to a house closer to this church, however, so I may end up going there more often.

Sweet. I think it's great you're willing to try something so different from what you're used to.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Low or common Episcopalian church

Early church service 8AM
One hymn
Sermon about 30 minutes, expository
Prayer
Greetings
Offering
Communion
Closing hymn

service last about one hour

The mooring serve is more sermon focused and appeals to adults

10AM service
Several hymns
Sermon about 25 to 30 minutes, more explanatory, less depth
Prayer
Greetings a bit longer
Offering
Communion
Several closing hymns

The late morning service is more family oriented, longer service many due to more hymns.

Larger crowd in late morning service. More social.

High Anglican church is more similar to late morning service.

Catholic features, such as incense and formal priest garments, stained glass windows, prayer after Communion.

I attended the high church as a child and low Episcopal church as an adult.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Sweet. I think it's great you're willing to try something so different from what you're used to.

I've not been enjoying my church very much lately so I've been wanting to do some visiting. I plan to visit several others as well.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I really enjoy our praise and worship time (Music with reflections made by the worship leader about the LORD in order to direct our focus).

I'd love a service filled with men calling out AMEN. I don't hear enough of that lately. I quietly give my amens ... but I would be so encouraged about life if I could just hear more strong men saying it with enthusiasm.

My pastor uses a teaching style when dealing with the WORD and is good at organizing his points ... but the thing I like about him the most is that he stands up for God's will ... and speaks out bravely against evil ... such as abortion, etc.

Our service is a mixture of traditional aspects and new praise and worship styles. I like this... I find comfort in some of the traditions, but really like the personal lyrics of the new songs.
It reminds me of a revival. I see nothing strong about men emoting during a sermon. The focus should be on God, not the chance to vocally emote. Such services leave me cold. The sermon should reveal the Word of God to a greater clarity and comprehension, not a chance to holler out as if the church members already know a perfect exegesis of Biblical understanding.

Ps82

It reminds me of a revival. I see nothing strong about men emoting during a sermon. The focus should be on God, not the chance to vocally emote. Such services leave me cold. The sermon should reveal the Word of God to a greater clarity and comprehension, not a chance to holler out as if the church members already know a perfect exegesis of Biblical understanding.

Hi Ktogyou,
To each his own ... There is nothing wrong with strong Christian men affirming their belief in the truth they hear from the WORD of God.
God even considers the public affirmation of one's faith in the LORD Jesus in a public ceremony of baptism as a good thing.

This may also be why it was said: If you deny me before men, I'll deny you before the Father. Sitting in silence leaves a lot about which to wonder as to just what people believe.

I agree an amen can be said for self-glorification, but so can giving to the poor. I'll have to leave judgment to God.

I just happen to find comfort in knowing that grown men are not ashamed to humble themselves and show their agreement with the will of God in a public way ... by openly risking ridicule from those, who don't like to hear their affirmation of an amen.

Above, did you happen to read my version of a progressive out-reach church that I'd like to see?
What do you think of those ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.