Was Luke 23 Fulfillment of Amos 8?

Robert_1965

Amo 8:9 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:
Luk 23:44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.

Right Divider

Body part
Amo 8:9 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:
Luk 23:44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.
If you read the book of Amos carefully, you will see that Amos is talking about the time of Jacob's trouble and not about the day that Christ died on the cross.

In the first chapter of Amos we find this, which helps us understand the context of the book.
Amo 1:2 KJV And he said, The LORD will roar from Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the habitations of the shepherds shall mourn, and the top of Carmel shall wither.
Throughout the first chapter, we see many references to "I will send fire" (thus saith the LORD). So clearly and extreme judgement is the topic. "I will send fire" appears 4 times in chapter 1 and again twice in chapter 2.

Jumping ahead to chapter 8, we find this:
Amo 8:3 KJV And the songs of the temple shall be howlings in that day, saith the Lord GOD: there shall be many dead bodies in every place; they shall cast them forth with silence.
Again, some extreme judgement against Israel. Think "great tribulation", think "time of Jacobs' trouble"...

Also look at verse 10, speaking to Israel:
Amo 8:10 KJV And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.
Extreme judgment.

Eventually, at the very end of Amos (9:11-15), the LORD speaks about the restoration of Israel (after they've been purged through the "fire"). See Isaiah 4, among others.
Amo 9:15 KJV And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.

So no, I do not think that Luke 23 is a fulfillment of Amos 8:9. Amos 8:9 is about the great tribulation and the judgement there.

Last edited: