What about the older KGOV shows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
I’m looking for the older shows from KGOV that are no longer there anymore. Both BEL and the Weekly WorldView.

If you have saved old shows onto your computer, please consider sharing them. I have high speed Internet and would like to have as many shows as possible, including other special recordings like “Is this man God”, etc.

Perhaps someday these archived shows could be resubmitted to the Internet, granting the approval from BEL and WWV. (<-- chuckles, World War Five . ? .) as they might wish to sell them instead, who knows. . . Initially, I simply wish to listen to them, but secondly, sometime in the future, I’d hope to have these available once again on the Internet as they were before.

So please respond if you are willing to share these old shows or are interested in such a collection!

Thanks.
1Way

One Eyed Jack

Have you tried any of the file-sharing clients (like KaZaA or Morpheus)? This would be a great way to get the files, and as a bonus it could help conserve bandwidth for the KGOV servers. Just an idea.

1Way

One eyed Jack – What? To find the old files that are not on the KGOV site anymore? Or to provide an alternative storage location once the files are located? Please explain.

BTW, I just browsed those two sites and couldn’t make much sense out of them. Do they provide web hosting, or web space, in other words, do these allow you to upload large 22 mb files and then allow others to download them? Each website was offering their own program to download, which didn’t make sense to me, download their program to do what?

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by 1Way
One eyed Jack – What? To find the old files that are not on the KGOV site anymore? Or to provide an alternative storage location once the files are located? Please explain.

A little bit of both. Of course, this assumes someone else using the client has the old files and chooses to include them among their shared files.

BTW, I just browsed those two sites and couldn’t make much sense out of them. Do they provide web hosting, or web space, in other words, do these allow you to upload large 22 mb files and then allow others to download them? Each website was offering their own program to download, which didn’t make sense to me, download their program to do what?

These programs are file-sharing clients, which allow people to directly transfer files to and from one another across the network -- even 700+ MB movie files. No web-hosting or web-space required.

If you decide to try it out, go with KaZaA Lite. Here is the KaZaA Lite homepage.

Last edited:

1Way

One eyed jack – I know what it is to exchange files across the internet, you can do that with personal messengers or MS netmeeting for example. I am not seeking a way to transfer files. I am first looking for folks who may have the old files, but you haven’t explained how finding these people or files would happen in the first place!

And where do these files that you are talking about stay? Can a person go and check out the files now without the program? Since you know what I want, and you are offering the help, then please simply explain your suggestion and how it might be of help instead of making me ask so many questions.

1Way

I just noticed that KGOV does have archived shows from 2002!

Does anyone know if BEL did shows before these archives?

One Eyed Jack

One eyed jack – I know what it is to exchange files across the internet, you can do that with personal messengers or MS netmeeting for example. I am not seeking a way to transfer files. I am first looking for folks who may have the old files, but you haven’t explained how finding these people or files would happen in the first place!

That, my friend, is what the file-sharing client is for. It has a built-in search engine that locates the files for you. Just type in what you're looking for, and you'll get a list of files -- double-click the file you want, and it just starts downloading (usually). It's much easier than using instant messengers to transfer files, plus most of these file-sharing clients can download from multiple users at the same time -- meaning you get your files lickety-split.

And where do these files that you are talking about stay?

They stay on your computer. When you set the client up, you tell it which folders you wish to share. Any files in these folders can be downloaded by other people using the client, as long as you leave it running on your computer.

Can a person go and check out the files now without the program?

No, you need to run the file-sharing client to be able to share files. If it's running, you can do a search and download any files it turns up, and other people can download files from you.

Since you know what I want, and you are offering the help, then please simply explain your suggestion and how it might be of help instead of making me ask so many questions.

I'm sorry. I'm trying to explain it the best way I can, but you'll have to let me know when I've lost you.

Have you ever heard of Napster? This is pretty much the same thing, except instead of just songs, you can download movies, books, or even programs. Basically, you can download any file that other people using the client are sharing. Both KaZaA and KaZaA Lite use the FastTrack network -- which has a lot of users (which means a lot of files being shared at any given time).

Last edited:

1Way

All, I just tried to download from the old archives in 2002, but, it didn’t work, evidentially the server is down or something. :(

One eyed Jack – So, if I don’t know the exaxt name of the old files that aren’t there anymore to verify, then can I still search for them, I suppose by description or do I have to know the exact name of the file(s)? Thanks for your help.

One Eyed Jack

All, I just tried to download from the old archives in 2002, but, it didn’t work, evidentially the server is down or something. :(

I noticed that myself.

One eyed Jack – So, if I don’t know the exaxt name of the old files that aren’t there anymore to verify, then can I still search for them, I suppose by description or do I have to know the exact name of the file(s)? Thanks for your help.

Generally speaking, you don't need to know the exact filename. You can search for something that way, but you'll get limited results. You'd probably search for something like "KGOV" or "Bob Enyart," or even the name of the particular show you're looking for.

Also, I've actually searched for some of Bob's old shows on the FastTrack network, and haven't found anything yet, but if even one of us has these old shows archived, that person can get the ball rolling by running a file-sharing client and including those shows with their shared files.

Like I said, it's more of an idea at this point than anything else. I don't think Bob would mind us sharing his archived radio shows, but it might be a good idea to ask his permission just in case.

1Way

Bob has mentioned several times that IRN hosts his shows using a smaller type of audio files. However, I noticed that on IRN, you can't download those shows either, they don't seem to be available on the server. BEL file sharing seems to be not working so good. Although we can as least download his 2003 shows from KGOV.

Anyone else notice this problem at IRN?

Status
Not open for further replies.