Repentance is given by the Saviour !

turbosixx

I see there you made one reference to something I said" repentance being a Gift" and that is it. You evaded everything else and gave me a bunch of scripture. If you don't want to discuss my points made don't bother me.

Wasn't that your point, repentance is a gift? Did I not address that? I was hoping to understand from your point of view but I can see I'm a "bother". Sorry

beloved57

Wasn't that your point, repentance is a gift? Did I not address that? I was hoping to understand from your point of view but I can see I'm a "bother". Sorry

Obviously all you saw was the words, Repentance is a Gift". You ignored everything else. Next time please be prepared to discuss the points I made with scripture, and how I made them with scripture.

beloved57

nanja

And in this verse also, the word give is didomi and it's the result of God giving them His Spirit in New Birth:

2 Tim. 2:25
In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Amen, a Good Catch. So with that said, Repentance given by God is inclusive of one being brought to the acknowledging of the Truth ! It leads them to a correct knowledge of the Truth, no doubt the Spirit is active in this Jn 16:13

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

beloved57

So one of the characteristics of God given Repentance is that it leads to an acknowledgement of the Truth as it is in Christ Jesus opposed to false doctrines sown by the devil and his servants 2 Tim 2:25-26

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Believing false doctrine and lies is a snare of the devil, only God can deliver us from !

Nanja

nanja

Amen, a Good Catch. So with that said, Repentance given by God is inclusive of one being brought to the acknowledging of the Truth ! It leads them to a correct knowledge of the Truth, no doubt the Spirit is active in this Jn 16:13

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Amen, so when the Spirit Gives a person true repentance and belief of the Truth about their Salvation in New Birth, it bears evidence of their being Elect, Chosen of God.

2Thes. 2:13
But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Titus 1:1-2
1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; 2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Nanja

So one of the characteristics of God given Repentance is that it leads to an acknowledgement of the Truth as it is in Christ Jesus opposed to false doctrines sown by the devil and his servants 2 Tim 2:25-26

And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Believing false doctrine and lies is a snare of the devil, only God can deliver us from !

Exactly! And those who remain in false doctrine and lies, it's evidence that they were not chosen to belief of the Truth 2 Thes. 2:13, and were not part of the world [kosmos] that Christ gave Himself for: He did not redeem them from all iniquity, as those in:

Titus 2:14
Who gave himself for us [Elect], that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

beloved57

nanja

Amen, so when the Spirit Gives a person true repentance and belief of the Truth about their Salvation in New Birth, it bears evidence of their being Elect, Chosen of God.

Exactly
Exactly! And those who remain in false doctrine and lies, it's evidence that they were not chosen to belief of the Truth 2 Thes. 2:13, and were not part of the world [kosmos] that Christ gave Himself for: He did not redeem them from all iniquity, as those in:

Bingo !

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As it is with Gospel Faith, so it is with Gospel Repentance, its not of man, but the Gift of the Saviour. Jesus told His sent Messengers that Repentance and Remission of sins are to be preached in His Name Lk 24:46-47

Oh, shut up. Life is a gift of the savior to all who believe. Whosever call up on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

beloved57

As stated, repentance is a Gift from the Saviour. Now to be more specific, how is it applied to them its given to as a Gift, namely Gods Elect ? Peter tells us here 1 Pet 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

All for whom Christ died, by His Resurrection from the Dead, they shall be begotten again ! These words begotten again are in the greek
anagennaó and means:

I beget again, beget into a new life.

to produce again, beget again, beget anew; metaphorically: τινα, thoroughly to change the mind of one, so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God

Notice that it changes the mind of one, this being begotten again. Now what is repentance ? Its the greek word metanoia and means:

repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

So this repentance that is given by and through the resurrection of Christ, being begotten again, effects a change of mind, which what primarily what repentance entails. It gives also change in the inner man.

And so repentance is confirmed to be the Gift of Christ through His resurrection from the dead, and its given to all for whom He died as their Saviour !

Last edited:

oatmeal

As it is with Gospel Faith, so it is with Gospel Repentance, its not of man, but the Gift of the Saviour. Jesus told His sent Messengers that Repentance and Remission of sins are to be preached in His Name Lk 24:46-47

[FONT=&]46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:[/FONT]
[FONT=&]47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

That they should be preached in His Name means they are products , effects of His Person and Work, His suffering and death and resurrection.

He was raised from the dead a Prince and a Saviour in order to give repentance and remission of sins Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

The word give[ didómi ] here means to bestow as a Gift

Its a word that denotes causative results, it means to bring forth, for instance how the word is used here Matt 13:8

8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

James 5:18

And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

So Christ as a Risen Saviour brings about and effects repentance upon them Hes a Saviour unto, those He suffered and died for, mainly the Elect of God amongst all Nations !

Christ isnt ones Saviour if He doesnt give them Repentance !
[/FONT]

God certainly gives us plenty of reasons to repent, but as Acts 2:38 states plainly, it is up to us to do the actual repenting

Nanja

As stated, repentance is a Gift from the Saviour. Now to be more specific, how is it applied to them its given to as a Gift, namely Gods Elect ? Peter tells us here 1 Pet 1:3

[FONT="]Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

All for whom Christ died, by His Resurrection from the Dead, they shall be begotten again ! These words begotten again are in the greek [/FONT]
anagennaó and means:

I beget again, beget into a new life.

to produce again, beget again, beget anew; metaphorically: τινα, thoroughly to change the mind of one, so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God

Notice that it changes the mind of one, this being begotten again. Now what is repentance ? Its the greek word
metanoia and means:

repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

So this repentance that is given by and through the resurrection of Christ, being begotten again, effects a change of mind, which what primarily what repentance entails. It gives also change in the inner man.

And so repentance is confirmed to be the Gift of Christ through His resurrection from the dead, and its given to all for whom He died as their Saviour !

Amen, a person having been Given a repentant heart / mind, bears evidence of their being Chosen In Union with Christ in Eternity Eph. 1:4-7.

So when Christ was raised from the dead 1 Pet.1:3 with His Elect in Union with Him, it was for their Justification of Life Rom. 4:25, and therefore effects the New Life they have from His Resurrection from the dead.

Truster

Amen, a person having been Given a repentant heart / mind, bears evidence of their being Chosen In Union with Christ in Eternity Eph. 1:4-7.

So when Christ was raised from the dead 1 Pet.1:3 with His Elect in Union with Him, it was for their Justification of Life Rom. 4:25, and therefore effects the New Life they have from His Resurrection from the dead.

Your use of "heart/mind" denotes a lack of assurance. You're saying heart, but at the same time knowing it's not the blood pump and so it looks as if you are just adding "mind" to be on the safe side. But, "mind" is not a precise explanation of what repentance is. The mind is affected by repentance, but it is the effect of and not the operation of repentance.

I keep asking B57 to explain what repentance is and to give an account of his experience of repentance. He is very quiet on the matter. This tells me he is a stranger to the experience and is fearful of being exposed as a blind guide.

beloved57

Absolutely !