‘It’s All About Equality': Polygamist Applies for ‘Marriage’ License .....

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
‘It’s All About Equality': Polygamist Applies for ‘Marriage’ License in Wake of Supreme Court Ruling

HELENA, Mont. — A polygamist in Montana is seeking to obtain a “marriage” license for a second “wife” following last Friday’s U.S. Supreme Court ruling declaring that all 50 states must legalize same-sex nuptials because of the 14th Amendment’s Equal Protection Clause.

“It’s about marriage equality,” Nathan Collier, 46, told The Associated Press this week. “You can’t have this without polygamy.”

Collier went to the Yellowstone County Courthouse on Tuesday with his partner Christine to seek a second marriage license as he stated that if the Supreme Court really believes in equality, then he should have the right to marry as he wishes as well. He cited language from dissenting Chief Justice John Roberts, who stated that the “gay marriage” ruling “would apply with equal force to the claim of a fundamental right to plural marriage.”

“[The majority ruling] offers no reason at all why the two-person element of the core definition of marriage may be preserved while the man-woman element may not,” Roberts wrote. “Indeed, from the standpoint of history and tradition, a leap from opposite-sex marriage to same-sex marriage is much greater than one from a two-person union to plural unions, which have deep roots in some cultures around the world.”

Collier, a former Mormon, married his wife Victoria, 40, in 2000, and in the same year had a ceremony with Christine, but did not seek to obtain a license for fear of criminal prosecution. However, when the two later split, Christine married another man. But when that marriage ended in divorce, she and Collier got back together and Christine moved in with him and Victoria.

Between the two women, Collier has five children. He has appeared on the TLC reality show “Sister Wives,” featuring Kody Brown and his five “wives,” four of whom he considers to be united in a “spiritual union.”

As previously reported, Brown had filed a lawsuit in 2011 to challenge a Utah law that banned polygamous relationships, stating that it interfered with his right to privacy. Brown won the suit in part as Utah’s ban on polygamous co-habitation was struck down, but the state’s prohibition of bigamy remained intact.

According to reports, when Collier visited the Yellowstone County Courthouse on Tuesday to request a license for his second “wife,” he was initially denied. However, Collier was also informed that the matter would be presented to the county attorney for further consideration. An official decision is expected next week.

We feel entitled for a legal legitimacy and for [the Yellowstone County Courthouse] to deny this is a violation of our civil rights,” he told TIME. “We feel the marriage equality law applies to us.”

“I’m not trying to redefine marriage,” Collier continued. “I’m not forcing anyone to believe in polygamy. We’re only defining marriage for us. We just want legitimacy.”

Christine made similar statements, asserting that love is love.

“It’s two distinct marriages; it’s two distinct unions. And for us to come together and create family—what’s wrong with that?” she told television station KTVQ. “I don’t understand why it’s looked upon and frowned upon as being obscene.”

Collier says that he is considering filing a lawsuit if his license is denied.

Weeeeeeeeeee, and here we go again! The only difference is that this time, the perversion wont take so long to gain its rights.

I mean if its just about who you love, and maybe they were born that way too, i mean look at all the men who commit adultery, why not make it legal for them, who are we to tell them how many women they can love?

Its a new world afterall where marriage can be anything you want it to be so long as you call it love.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
‘It’s All About Equality': Polygamist Applies for ‘Marriage’ License in Wake of Supreme Court Ruling

Weeeeeeeeeee, and here we go again! The only difference is that this time, the perversion wont take so long to gain its rights.

I mean if its just about who you love, and maybe they were born that way too, i mean look at all the men who commit adultery, why not make it legal for them, who are we to tell them how many women they can love?

Its a new world afterall where marriage can be anything you want it to be so long as you call it love.

Though I find polygamy disgusting, I am in favor of allowing it as long as it doesn't focus on little teen girls. IF these people wish to be part of a selfish man's harem, they should at least have to wait until they are adults.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Though I find polygamy disgusting, I am in favor of allowing it as long as it doesn't focus on little teen girls. IF these people wish to be part of a selfish man's harem, they should at least have to wait until they are adults.

I'm not for it, think about their children. Just because their mother is nuts, they shouldn't have to suffer for it or grow up thinking its ok for a man to treat them like a pet or another sex object of many -when they get pushed into the same kind of messed up thing being taught that its ok and normal.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not for it, think about their children. Just because their mother is nuts, they shouldn't have to suffer for it or grow up thinking its ok for a man to treat them like a pet when they get pushed into the same kind of messed up thing.

Regardless of whether or not it is legal, children raised from those types would still see the same treatment. Disrespect from one parent to the other and probably a lot of adultery on the side.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Regardless of whether or not it is legal, children raised from those types would still see the same treatment. Disrespect from one parent to the other and probably a lot of adultery on the side.

yes, but there is still the matter of conscience, if its not accepted, they have more reason to look into why its not ok or accepted. When its legal, its legitimized.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
yes, but there is still the matter of conscience, if its not accepted, they have more reason to look into why. When its legal, its legitimized.

I disagree. Smoking is legal, yet I don't see it as legitimized. It's in the same category as other harmful actions that happen to be legal.

IMO, the best way to combat it is for parents to teach their children the difference between right and wrong.

Also, these types of families, receive more scrutiny by social services and society in general, which is as it should be.

glorydaz

I'm thinking an adult and a child will be next. Shall we make a guess how long that will be? It's coming.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I disagree. Smoking is legal, yet I don't see it as legitimized. It's in the same category as other harmful actions that happen to be legal.
I beg to differ, since its been made illegal to do so in many places and stigma has become attached to it, more and more people stop smoking and a vast majority never start, it having been once legitimized created more when it was considered legit and ok to do.

IMO, the best way to combat it is for parents to teach their children the difference between right and wrong.
and far less will, when the sympathy card is overplayed, like people have a right to who they love - adultery is even on television today hyping to save marriages - legitimizing it.

Also, these types of families, receive more scrutiny by social services and society in general, which is as it should be.
Not after its deemed legit.

glorydaz

That's the problem, Rusha. The polygamists like the young girls, even younger than teens in many cases. They aren't interested in the older women.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm thinking an adult and a child will be next. Shall we make a guess how long that will be? It's coming.

THAT particular relationship would be one that could never be rationalized because children are incapable of consent.

I think that any adult who is having sex with a child, should receive the death penalty regardless of their religion or sexuality.

In the case of polygamy, it is well known that older men usually use the teen girls and women for the sole purpose of breeding for their next batch of brides.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's the problem, Rusha. The polygamists like the young girls, even younger than teens in many cases. They aren't interested in the older women.

I know ... and I addressed that in my last post.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
THAT particular relationship would be one that could never be rationalized because children are incapable of consent.

I think that any adult who is having sex with a child, should receive the death penalty regardless of their religion or sexuality.

In the case of polygamy, it is well known that older men usually use the teen girls and women for the sole purpose of breeding for their next batch of brides.

Which is why it shouldnt even get its foot in the door.

GFR7

Right, if "love is love" as gay advocates say, why draw the line at two people? The reason heterosexual marriage was ONE woman , ONE man, was because it takes one egg and one sperm to create a human life. Remove that, and anything goes.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right, if "love is love" as gay advocates say, why draw the line at two people? The reason heterosexual marriage was ONE woman , ONE man, was because it takes one egg and one sperm to create a human life. Remove that, and anything goes.

And yet, being able to produce children has never been a requirement for marriage.

Dialogos

A man cites Obergefell v. Hodges as precedent for polygamy.

That didn't take long, did it?

**Resisting the temptation to shout, "We told you so."**

:doh:

Quetzal

I agree, I believe all minors should continue to be protected.

Quetzal

It shouldn't be removed, although, our dated needs to reproduce for survival are not currently necessary.

Last edited: