Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:

The Bible talks about the casting of lots [to choose government rulers]. Why? To avoid fighting and politics that destroy a nation.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Greywolf
That's a great way to chose government rulers. :rolleyes:
If you don't like how much you're being taxed, you won't be blaming your next door neighbor or even you own family members for voting for a "tax and spend" politician.

You actually like that kind of conflict in society?

Lucky

Hall of Fame
It took a while, but I found that photo of the "$1,000,000.00" bill.

"Got change for a mil?"

:chuckle:

Greywolf

Originally posted by Jefferson
If you don't like how much you're being taxed, you won't be blaming your next door neighbor or even you own family members for voting for a "tax and spend" politician.

You actually like that kind of conflict in society?

Everyone is always going to have different opinions about things. Using a different selection system for choosing our government leaders isn't going to change that. Anyway, why would you be blaming your neighbors and family members for the actions of a politician?

Do you like a system for selecting who runs our country that:

1.) Doesn't let the people have any say as to who is going to govern them.

2.) Would put me on equal footing with Dean, Bush, and Nader as far as getting selected for the Presidency.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

Everyone is always going to have different opinions about things. Using a different selection system for choosing our government leaders isn't going to change that. Anyway, why would you be blaming your neighbors and family members for the actions of a politician?
Because they were the ones who elected the politician and put him in office against my wishes.

Do you like a system for selecting who runs our country that:

1.) Doesn't let the people have any say as to who is going to govern them.
The people are evil. They will always vote to legalize any wickedness they want to do like stealing the wealth of their more successful neighbors (ie. a graduated income tax), kill their unborn children if they think they will be inconvenient, etc. It was the masses who cried, "Crucify Him." Democracy is mob rule and a mob is childish. I don't want to be ruled by children.

2.) Would put me on equal footing with Dean, Bush, and Nader as far as getting selected for the Presidency.
Yes. Carreer politicians are power hungry. That is the last personality type you want to put in charge. I'll take Joe Blow any day.

Greywolf

Because they were the ones who elected the politician and put him in office against my wishes.

And why would they have chosen a different candidate from the one that you chose?

The people are evil. They will always vote to legalize any wickedness they want to do like stealing the wealth of their more successful neighbors (ie. a graduated income tax), kill their unborn children if they think they will be inconvenient, etc. It was the masses who cried, "Crucify Him." Democracy is mob rule and a mob is childish. I don't want to be ruled by children.

You would rather be ruled by a straw or a die (whatever they use for casting lots)?

Yes. Carreer politicians are power hungry. That is the last personality type you want to put in charge. I'll take Joe Blow any day.

Yes, Joe Blow, who has little or no knowledge of economics, international relations, diplomacy, our legal system, etc...

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
And why would they have chosen a different candidate from the one that you chose?
I want a candidate that will let me keep as much of my own money as possible to spend as I see fit. My neighbor (or even my own family member) wants to lie around, drink beer and whatever he doesn't have money for, he wants the politician he voted for to steal the money from me and give it to him.

You would rather be ruled by a straw or a die (whatever they use for casting lots)?
The rule is a constitution based on the Bible. The monarch is chosen by a lottery system.

Yes, Joe Blow, who has little or no knowledge of economics, international relations, diplomacy, our legal system, etc...
The government which governs least governs best.

Greywolf

I want a candidate that will let me keep as much of my own money as possible to spend as I see fit. My neighbor (or even my own family member) wants to lie around, drink beer and whatever he doesn't have money for, he wants the politician he voted for to steal the money from me and give it to him.

Then do something about it. That's how a democracy works. Go out, and try to convince people that you are right.

Anyway, using your system, the politician who wants to "steal" your money and the one who wants to let you keep it have the same chance of getting the position.

The rule is a constitution based on the Bible. The monarch is chosen by a lottery system.

And you don't mind that the leaders of the country would be selected regardless of their views or ability to govern?

The government which governs least governs best.

The government that has no clue how to govern won't govern long.

Zimfan

Then do something about it. That's how a democracy works. Go out, and try to convince people that you are right.

Anyway, using your system, the politician who wants to "steal" your money and the one who wants to let you keep it have the same chance of getting the position.

:think: I'd think that there would be so much larger a supply of the former type that even picking randomly that type would be the most likely to be selected.

Greywolf

Originally posted by Zimfan
:think: I'd think that there would be so much larger a supply of the former type that even picking randomly that type would be the most likely to be selected.

The politicians do that because they think that that is what a majority of the people want. Convince the people to change their minds and the politicians will be forced to follow.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

That's what people have been doing in this country. And look at the result: Social conflict between various groups of people. Which, by the way, is exactly what power hungry people like to see. Divide and conquer is their motto. If there is division amongst the masses then the masses need the government to maintain order. The more conflict, the more government is needed. What a wonderful system. :rolleyes:

Not without social conflict and neighbors hating one another for voting for the "wrong" candidate.

And you don't mind that the leaders of the country would be selected regardless of their views or ability to govern?
It's not a monarchy. It's a constitutional monarchy. The monarch would not be allowed to make up any law he wanted. The laws are simple. They are found in the Bible. Children understand the Bible. What's so complicated?

The government that has no clue how to govern won't govern long.
The monarch will have the wisdom of the Biblical law to guide him, plus he will certainly be free to have a staff of advisors.

Zimfan

The politicians do that because they think that that is what a majority of the people want. Convince the people to change their minds and the politicians will be forced to follow.

That's the nice thing about living in a democracy. If you want the politicians to do something differently all you have to do is convince enough of their constituents to agree with you and vote accordingly.

Greywolf

That's what people have been doing in this country. And look at the result: Social conflict between various groups of people. Which, by the way, is exactly what power hungry people like to see. Divide and conquer is their motto. If there is division amongst the masses then the masses need the government to maintain order. The more conflict, the more government is needed. What a wonderful system. :rolleyes:

Difference of opinion maybe, but conflict?

And what happens when the masses don't like how the government is being run under the "casting lots" system? Who will they blame?

Not without social conflict and neighbors hating one another for voting for the "wrong" candidate.

Hating each other over a candidate selection? Sounds more like a personal issue to me.

How would a system where you cast lots require "social conflict" to be equal?

It's not a monarchy. It's a constitutional monarchy. The monarch would not be allowed to make up any law he wanted. The laws are simple. They are found in the Bible. Children understand the Bible. What's so complicated?

And what about the Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, and Atheists who live in the country? I doubt that they would like being ruled by Biblical law.

The monarch will have the wisdom of the Biblical law to guide him, plus he will certainly be free to have a staff of advisors.

And what happens if there is a non-Christian monarch?

Also, even if he could have a staff of advisors, that wouldn't make Joe Blow capable of making decisions about national policy. Even if I had the entire Cabinet advising me, that wouldn't make me capable of ruling the country.

Greywolf

Originally posted by Zimfan
That's the nice thing about living in a democracy. If you want the politicians to do something differently all you have to do is convince enough of their constituents to agree with you and vote accordingly.

Yes. :thumb:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Difference of opinion maybe, but conflict?
Yes, conflict. A lot racial hatred and physical violence between people of different races stems from the perception that they vote for different social outcomes.

And what happens when the masses don't like how the government is being run under the "casting lots" system? Who will they blame?
Not their neighbor. That's the beauty of it.

Hating each other over a candidate selection? Sounds more like a personal issue to me.
It is personal. When someone steals my money, I don't care for them too much. You can euphemistically call it a "progessive income tax" if you want to but I'd rather call a spade a spade. It's stealing.

It's also personal when my neighbor votes to keep legalized murder legal. Yeah, it's personal alright. You bet it is.

How would a system where you cast lots require "social conflict" to be equal?
I'm not sure I understand your question here. It won't "require" it and it won't be equal. Rather, social conflict will be nonexistent as a natural result of your neighbor having absolutely nothing to do with how much of your paycheck the government took for itself.

And what about the Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, and Atheists who live in the country? I doubt that they would like being ruled by Biblical law.
Why would they not? What specific Biblical law would they object to?

And what happens if there is a non-Christian monarch?
There should be a test oath in order to qualify as a candidate for the lottery. The monarch would be bound by the constitution just like our presidents today are bound by our constitution. They can't do anything they want.

Also, even if he could have a staff of advisors, that wouldn't make Joe Blow capable of making decisions about national policy. Even if I had the entire Cabinet advising me, that wouldn't make me capable of ruling the country.
Sure it would. It's not that complicated. Name me one issue regarding national policy that you would consider to be over your head.

Jukia

Is the constitution based on the Old Testament or New Testament? And perhaps you are on the way to getting what you want with George II in the White House.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
It's not a monarchy. It's a constitutional monarchy. The monarch would not be allowed to make up any law he wanted.
I've read that "constitution" and there is no provision for removing the monarch from his position.

The only options, then, are waiting for him to die (which, as medical technology advances, becomes a longer and longer wait...), or assassinating him (in which case the assassin would have to be executed; that's called "taking one for the team".)

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Sure it would. It's not that complicated. Name me one issue regarding national policy that you would consider to be over your head.
China takes Taiwan and steps up its persecution of Christians, and tells America that if it intervenes in any way, overt or covert, it will be hit by nuclear bombs.

Get out of that one, bright boy; Fortress America™ doesn't work in the nuclear age...

Status
Not open for further replies.