A demonstration of the nature of creationism (and 6days)

Jose Fly

Since I joined ToL, I've made it pretty clear that the main reason I'm here is for entertainment. Specific to interacting with creationists here, it's the entertainment value in watching them contradict themselves and do everything they can to deny reality. This comes from my years of experience interacting with creationists and recognizing that taking them seriously and having expectations of intellectual honesty only leads to disappointment and frustration.

On Saturday, 6days provided a another bit of this sort of entertainment....

In a post to Silent Hunter, he repeated one of his favorite sound bites, "Evolutionism and creationism are beliefs about the past and not science".

Yet less than a month prior, he admitted to me that "yes historical science is valid".

Now with normal people you might confront them with this fundamental contradiction and expect them to acknowledge it and address it in an adult, honest manner. But with creationists--6days in particular--we already know that's just not going to happen. So why bring it up? Well, as I said, I bring it up for the entertainment that comes from seeing 6days scramble around and try to reconcile two obviously contradictory statements. IOW, there is absolutely no expectation of an actual adult-level, honest conversation here.

I suppose 6days could prove me wrong and respond in such a manner, but I'm certainly not counting on such a thing at all.

Last edited:

Rivers

I suppose 6days could prove me wrong and respond in such a manner, but I'm certainly not counting on such a thing at all.

Unfortuntely, many YEC folks are fanatics.

However, since they like to discuss the Bible, I look at it as an opportunity to present a different perspective so that rational people have the opportunity to weigh the evidence for themselves and make up their own minds.

Jose Fly

Unfortuntely, many YEC folks are fanatics.

In my years of doing this, I think I've met one who I didn't consider to be a "fanatic".

However, since they like to discuss the Bible, I look at it as an opportunity to present a different perspective so that rational people have the opportunity to weigh the evidence for themselves and make up their own minds.

Yep, there's always the possibility that a lurker may find one's posts to be persuasive.

Jose Fly

First, I'm not sure what that video has to do with the topic of this thread.

Second, Setterfield's arguments were so bad and riddled with mistakes and contradictions, the ICR abandoned it back in the late 1980's.