After-School Satan Clubs

glassjester

Do you think something like this would ever gain any traction?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...f485e6-5427-11e6-88eb-7dda4e2f2aec_story.html

They point out that Christian evangelical groups already have infiltrated the lives of America’s children through after-school religious programming in public schools, and they appear determined to give young students a choice: Jesus or Satan.

“It’s critical that children understand that there are multiple perspectives on all issues, and that they have a choice in how they think,” said Doug Mesner, the Satanic Temple’s co-founder.

On Monday, the group plans to introduce its After School Satan Club to public elementary schools, including one in Prince George’s County, petitioning school officials to allow them to open immediately as the academic year starts. Chapter heads from New York, Boston, Utah and Arizona were in Salem on July 10 talking strategy, with others from Minneapolis, Detroit, San Jose, New Orleans, Pittsburgh and Florida participating online.

“We think it’s important for kids to be able to see multiple points of view, to reason things through, to have empathy and feelings of benevolence for their fellow human beings,” said the Satanic Temple’s Utah chapter head, who goes by the name Chalice Blythe.

The emphasis on multiple perspectives is a hint pointing to the Temple’s true foe. The group at first intends to roll out the clubs in a limited number of schools in districts that also host an evangelical Christian after-school program known as the Good News Club.

Jensen noted that the Satanic Temple’s materials say the group encourages benevolence and empathy among all people, and advocates practical common sense.

“As a teacher, if I were deciding whether to teach that or the fear and hatred of other people’s beliefs, which is what Good News Clubs teach, I would choose what the Satanic Temple has available,” she said.

The user poll on the site shows, of 39,000 users, 48% are for this idea, 52% against.

Are you for it? Against it?
Do you find the point moot because you've already forsaken the public school system?

Do you think it'll just fizzle out due to lack of appeal?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you think something like this would ever gain any traction?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...f485e6-5427-11e6-88eb-7dda4e2f2aec_story.html

The user poll on the site shows, of 39,000 users, 48% are for this idea, 52% against.

Are you for it? Against it?
Do you find the point moot because you've already forsaken the public school system?

Do you think it'll just fizzle out due to lack of appeal?

From the article:

The emphasis on multiple perspectives is a hint pointing to the Temple’s true foe. The group at first intends to roll out the clubs in a limited number of schools in districts that also host an evangelical Christian after-school program known as the Good News Club.

The door to this was opened up by allowance of a religious afterschool program. Either all should be allowed ... or none.

glassjester

[/I]The door to this was opened up by allowance of a religious afterschool program. Either all should be allowed ... or none.

Yes, you're right.

But their choice of mascot is disingenuous and mocking.

They don't believe in Satan at all.
Yet they adopt this symbol - a fictional character (in their belief) that symbolizes evil, hatred, and betrayal - not rationality, as they claim.

It's not illegal. Again, you're right about that.
But it's definitely distasteful and insincere.
The purpose seems to be to mock the sincerely held religious beliefs of others.

Comparable to a Holocaust denier starting a "Hitler Club" based on his belief that Hitler wasn't a bad guy. Then saying the club isn't about antisemitism or genocide, it's just about running trains on time.

It's not illegal... but c'mon.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Comparable to a Holocaust denier starting a "Hitler Club" based on his belief that Hitler wasn't a bad guy. Then saying the club isn't about antisemitism or genocide, it's just about running trains on time.

:thumb:

my first reaction when i saw this in the paper was one of disgust, but then i reconsidered

if kids are given the choice between these morons and Christian clubs, who do you think will be more successful?

glassjester

:thumb:

my first reaction when i saw this in the paper was one of disgust, but then i reconsidered

if kids are given the choice between these morons and Christian clubs, who do you think will be more successful?

I hope it will have the ironic result of increasing membership of Christian clubs.

Though it's hard to hold out some parents having much sense, you'd think children would see through it. "Let me see here, Mister. If I listen to you, I go to hell. Could you please explain the benevolent part, again?"

Is anybody surprised? The most outlandish things I've seen in my life are homo "marriage" and living in denial of Islamic terrorism, while they're doing their "Allahu Akbar!" in peoples' faces, before they bring down a couple skyscrapers or leave body parts all over the floor of a nightclub. You have a nation equally divided, at bare minimum (and it's more) voting for the things of Satan. Formally putting a label on it? Don't see the big deal.

Parents and even their children, if they insist on following the Pied Piper off the cliff, if people tolerate these things and get what they want, then hellfire, it's a free country, even in God's eyes. Choose who you'll serve, and, Revelation 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. Romans 12: 19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

You're not going to right the wrongs of the planet that take place in the public square. First be sure there's no skin off your own spiritual rear and those of the ones you love, as best you can, and leave the Satan Club for those who have to deal with that, write a letter and tell somebody they suck, then, but does anything surprise you, anymore? My child wouldn't attend anything such, just as they won't get by with being a bully at school, lying, stealing, whatever. The children of others are their concern. We've long had "babies from hell," largely thanks to Godless and AWOL parents, long before any Satan Club at school, Satan clubs at home. One can only suppose there's now a formal name for the after school program most children are already in, with a TV or violent video game for a babysitter.

glassjester

We've long had "babies from hell," largely thanks to Godless and AWOL parents, long before any Satan Club at school, Satan clubs at home. One can only suppose there's now a formal name for the after school program most children are already in, with a TV or violent video game for a babysitter.

Indeed.

And while I do hope a backlash (in the form of increased Christian zeal) occurs, I can't help but think this might instead lead to the cessation of many sincere and well-meaning after-school clubs.

That may, in fact, be their intent.

Indeed.

And while I do hope a backlash (in the form of increased Christian zeal) occurs, I can't help but think this might instead lead to the cessation of many sincere and well-meaning after-school clubs.

That may, in fact, be their intent.

Backlash could result, though people are really spiritually dead and reprobate, anymore. Still, it may freak some otherwise spiritual crack babies out, if their child comes home, speaking of the glories of Satan they learned of at school today, visions of raising the zodiac killer floating into their pill and/or alcohol anesthesized brains.

Whatever their intent, "notice me" and attention is at the center of it, one can only suppose their seared consciences boiling over that a lot of people haven't cared less a bunch of spiritually dead perverts stand in circles in the woods or worship goats' heads. They're a frat, a bunch of immature misfits. The real Satanists are the angels of light in high places, perverting the world, wearing those smiling faces people adore, the ones who don't talk about who they really serve, the ones the world votes for or buys evil products from. Incredible, you can go up and down your TV remote and see Satan at work, yet people will only get their shorts in a bunch if it's labeled such. They'll eat crapcream, if it's called icecream, especially if some whore, with her skirt slit clear up to her rear, says on TV it's good. Sorry to be such a bummer, people, but your whole world is a Satan club.

In any event, they'll all get worse, with time, no surprises, Revelation 12:12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

glassjester

Incredible, you can go up and down your TV remote and see Satan at work, yet people will only get their shorts in a bunch if it's labeled such.

That is an excellent point.

We shouldn't wait for a demon to be summoned by name, before we guard ourselves against him.
It's more difficult, I'm sure, to cast demons out, than to prevent their entry.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, you're right.

But their choice of mascot is disingenuous and mocking.

They don't believe in Satan at all.
Yet they adopt this symbol - a fictional character (in their belief) that symbolizes evil, hatred, and betrayal - not rationality, as they claim.

It's not illegal. Again, you're right about that.
But it's definitely distasteful and insincere.
The purpose seems to be to mock the sincerely held religious beliefs of others.

Actually you are wrong ... the symbolism is based on individuality and empowerment of one's self as the ultimate authority figure. Also, if it were about mocking the religious beliefs of others, I am unclear as to why that would be off limits. Religions are mocked in the same way that those without religious beliefs are mocked.

glassjester

Actually you are wrong ... the symbolism is based on individuality and empowerment of one's self as the ultimate authority figure.

Just like the confederate flag stands for states' rights?

Also, if it were about mocking the religious beliefs of others, I am unclear as to why that would be off limits. Religions are mocked in the same way that those without religious beliefs are mocked.

Should schools encourage that type of behavior?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just like the confederate flag stands for states' rights?

Do you believe the confederate flag should be illegal?

Should schools encourage that type of behavior?

Schools should teach. It's up to parents to teach their children morals. Religious liberty allows for individuals to practice or refuse religion ... including mocking the beliefs of others. For those that only wish to see their beliefs protected, there is the option of private or homeschooling.

glassjester

Do you believe the confederate flag should be illegal?

No.

I also don't think it would be appropriate to have an after-school Confederacy Club.

Do you?

Schools should teach. It's up to parents to teach their children morals. Religious liberty allows for individuals to practice or refuse religion ... including mocking the beliefs of others.

Wait.

You think students should be free to mock each other at school?
Does this only go for religion? Or should students be able to make fun of each other about anything they want?

If a kid yells in the middle of class, "Billy's a stupid dork," should the teacher "not enforce his morality" on the offender?

Or should the teacher say, "Cut it out. Don't make fun of people."

That is an excellent point.

We shouldn't wait for a demon to be summoned by name, before we guard ourselves against him.
It's more difficult, I'm sure, to cast demons out, than to prevent their entry.

It all comes down to a denial of the behavior, which is at the core of the problem. Just throwing around labels isn't the real problem: it's the fruit of evil that does the damage, and their fruits how you know evil and the evil ones. The evil fruits pervade the entire culture, our very homes, but, as long as we maintain denial, the apple cart doesn't get upset.

It's so similar to another real phenomenon, how, even in "upright" high society of previous generations, adultery was alright, as long as it wasn't talked about, even if everybody in the room knew what was going on. But as soon as it became some public scandal? All the sudden all the alterers and their mistresses are in an uproar, ready to eject, especially the Jezebel, from society.

Meanwhile, at the PTA meeting, "I will not have Johnny subjected to a Satan Club, no Siree!" Looks at watch, "Honey, it's time to go home now, open a bottle of wine, cook some popcorn, and watch them splatter brains all over the wall, between sex scenes, while our children score points on their Xbox, creating flaming wreckage, shooting, decapitating or blowing-up everybody in sight. My word! Can you believe it? Satan Club at school!" Or turn on the TV, check to see if the gowns reveal the publc hair of their favorite female stars, this year on the red carpet.

Anything goes, as long as you don't shine a light on it. If you really want to get everybody in a lather, just tell the whole truth, call a spade a spade.

John 3

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It won't gain traction because public school is a satan club all day long. This would be like detention.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You think students should be free to mock each other at school?

Not each other ... they should be free to mock belief systems, which would include any and all religions, as well as nonreligious beliefs. Are you saying that ALL religions should be off limits? :think:

glassjester

Not each other ... they should be free to mock belief systems, which would include any and all religions, as well as nonreligious beliefs.

That's not what school is for.

Where should this "Right to Mockery" be exercised?

On the playground?
In the lunchroom?
The classrooms?
After school programs, only?

How should this "Right to Mockery" be exercised?

Should the school defend Bobby's right to wear a swastika on his arm?
Should the school defend Sally's right to start a "Mormonism Is Stupid" club?

Are you saying that ALL religions should be off limits? :think:

At school, yes.

I'm saying school is not a place for mockery.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
That's not what school is for.

Where should this "Right to Mockery" be exercised?

On the playground?
In the lunchroom?
The classrooms?
After school programs, only?

How should this "Right to Mockery" be exercised?

Should the school defend Bobby's right to wear a swastika on his arm?
Should the school defend Sally's right to start a "Mormonism Is Stupid" club?

At school, yes.

I'm saying school is not a place for mockery.
I agree with that, glassman