Alexander Duff

Patrick Oelund

Dr Alexander Duff was one of the great missionaries, which made way for the mission in India during the 1800s. When he became old (very old) he went home to his homeland (Scotland), to die there. During a conference, which was held by the Scottish Church, Duff spoke to the young men to give their lives for the mission in India, but NO ONE kept notice of his words.

The old man, thought that this was so hard, that suddenly at the pulpit he fell down and fainted. He was carried out in a room next to the conference hall. During the examination a doctor made on him, he suddenly opened up his eyes and said, “Where am I?” “Where am I?”

“Lay down,” the doctor said. “Your heart is very weak.” The old man interrupted the doctor, “but I have to complete my plea.” “Help me back! Take me to the pulpit again. I didn’t say everything I wanted to say!”

“Lay down,” said the doctor. “You are too weak to go up there again.” But the old missionary would let him be hindered. He came on his feet again by using his last strength, and with the help of the doctor and one more person, he was able to reach the pulpit.

The whole church stood on their feet to honor his courage. The old man went on with his plea. “When the Queen Victoria is calling on volunteers to go to India. Then hundreds of young men are saying yes. But when the King of Kings is calling, no one is ready to go .”

He was quiet for a moment. And then he said, “Is it true that Scotland doesn’t have more sons to be sacrificed to India?” And once more he was quiet for a moment. But no one made any notice to his challenge. An odd silence was felt in the Church. Then the old man made his decision, and with the compassion he felt for the millions of souls in India, which yet had never heard the gospel of Jesus Christ he finished his speech. “Well, if Scotland doesn’t have any more young men to send to India, I will return, even if I am old and sick. Even if I don’t have the strength to preach, I will lay down on the seashore of Ganges and die, so that the people of India will know that there is at least one man in Scotland, who feel compassion for them and their souls, that he gives his life for them.” When the old man went down from the pulpit, the silence was turned into noise, because young men stood up and shouted, “I will go!,” “I will go!”

After that the old man had died, many of these young men actually went to India. They gave their lives as missionaries over there. That was the result of the compassion an old missionary felt for those who had never heard the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The question we must ask is; what is mission and why are there people who are willing to give their lives for it?

First we need to know that the Bible tells us in Rom 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

This means that every person on this planet is a sinner, and is in need of God.

What is the result of sin: Rom 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

So, a man is born in sin and on his way to hell. BUT the Bible tells us that God made a way for us to be free from sin. John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

Jesus came to this earth – and His mission was to die, for you and for me, so that we should not die but have the possibility to have everlasting life in Him.

1. Man is a sinner. 2. He is on his way to eternal death. 3. By believing in Jesus Christ man will be saved. Rom 10:9-10

Let us look at one more Scripture Rom 10:13-15 “For, everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. How, then can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news.’”

Here we see some other truths: 1. Everyone that calls on JESUS will be saved. 2. They must HEAR about Jesus. 3. How shall they hear? Through a preacher. 4. A preacher must be sent.

This is where the missionary comes in the picture.

Jesus said in Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

“teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo; I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

This commandment is NOT ONLY for the pastors and some special people. It is a commandment for all believers.

“The Great Commission is not an option to be considered; it is a command to be obeyed” — Hudson Taylor (missionary to China).

This means that you and I are called to take this gospel to everyone that we meet; in the school, on the working place, and to our country but also to all the other nations on earth.

Mark 5:1-20 What has God done for you? Go and give your testimony.

Rev 20:11-15 One day everyone will be standing before the Judgment Seat of God. Those who have received Jesus during their lifetime will be come to heaven. But those who didn’t receive Him will be cast into the Lake of Fire, which was prepared for the devil.

“The gospel is only good news if it gets there in time” — Carl F. H. Henry

In China there are more than 1.3 billion people and app. 495 people groups. Out of 495 only app. 90 have heard the gospel.

In China it is very limited to be a Christian. Many believers are facing prison and persecution if they are preaching the gospel. But they are ready to give their lives to give the gospel not only to China but even go to the Moslems.

You have something to give. If God has called you to be a missionary, don’t try to be someone else. It is only when you are in God’s will, you can be satisfied.