ALL of Christendom's water baptism rituals deny the Gospel

musterion

This thread has nothing for anyone who believes their preferred version of water baptism is vital to their justification by God. You're lost and I'm not talking to you or about you here.

This thread is for those who claim to believe in salvation by grace alone in faith alone in Christ alone without works, but still believe one must be water baptized for whatever reasons your church or denomination requires. So one more time...if you believe people MUST get wet or they won't get saved, there's nothing for you here. This isn't about you. Don't bother posting.

For the rest of you: when you say (here I condense and paraphrase what I've heard a hundred times on TOL and elsewhere), "Believers are not saved by any works BUT they must submit to water baptism in order to be fully obedient to God," what you really mean is, to NOT submit to water baptism is disobedience.

Now let's be adults and call "disobedience" what you really mean in this case. You believe that to neglect or refuse water baptism is a sin against God. Do not deny it. It is a fact. You know it, we know it. So let's stop pretending otherwise.

Here's your problem. One cannot be forgiven all sin through faith in Christ (Col 2:13) without any works of the flesh (Eph 2:9; Titus 3:5) and yet be sinning against God for not submitting to a man-centered work of the flesh; one, in fact, that arose right out of the Law.

To insist that believers sin by not submitting to this or that water rite is itself sin, for it is Galatianism. It is men being required by other men to DO something in addition to simply trusting Christ. That is exactly what you have implied every time you tell someone they MUST get wet to not sin against God (and that IS what you're telling them).

Do you not realize that you're disregarding the fact that Christ bore ALL our burdens and made ALL necessary satisfaction for us at the Cross? You say you believe that...does it sound like you believe that whenever you preach it's a sin against God not to be water baptized by you? You preaching any form of water ritual - even for mere "obedience" - adds a self-righteous burden, a work of the flesh to the terms of the Gospel, making yours a false, grace-denying gospel.

Further, many of you "obedience baptizers" have said we MADs are sinning when we oppose water rites as not for today. You are dead wrong. It is we who are truly defending what you only say you believe: that salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, WITHOUT WORKS of any kind to be, stay or prove one is saved.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you not realize that you're disregarding the fact that Christ bore ALL our burdens and made ALL necessary satisfaction for us at the Cross?

Jesus bore our sins based on our turning from sin. Grace is not a license to practice sin.

Water baptism is a ceremony before witnesses (kind of like a marriage ceremony) after which a person receives the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
This thread has nothing for anyone who believes their preferred version of water baptism is vital to their justification by God. You're lost and I'm not talking to you or about you here.

This thread is for those who claim to believe in salvation by grace alone in faith alone in Christ alone without works, but still believe one must be water baptized for whatever reasons your church or denomination requires. So one more time...if you believe people MUST get wet or they won't get saved, there's nothing for you here. This isn't about you. Don't bother posting.

For the rest of you: when you say (here I condense and paraphrase what I've heard a hundred times on TOL and elsewhere), "Believers are not saved by any works BUT they must submit to water baptism in order to be fully obedient to God," what you really mean is, to NOT submit to water baptism is disobedience.

Now let's be adults and call "disobedience" what you really mean in this case. You believe that to neglect or refuse water baptism is a sin against God. Do not deny it. It is a fact. You know it, we know it. So let's stop pretending otherwise.

Here's your problem. One cannot be forgiven all sin through faith in Christ (Col 2:13) without any works of the flesh (Eph 2:9; Titus 3:5) and yet be sinning against God for not submitting to a man-centered work of the flesh; one, in fact, that arose right out of the Law.

To insist that believers sin by not submitting to this or that water rite is itself sin, for it is Galatianism. It is men being required by other men to DO something in addition to simply trusting Christ. That is exactly what you have implied every time you tell someone they MUST get wet to not sin against God (and that IS what you're telling them).

Do you not realize that you're disregarding the fact that Christ bore ALL our burdens and made ALL necessary satisfaction for us at the Cross? You say you believe that...does it sound like you believe that whenever you preach it's a sin against God not to be water baptized by you? You preaching any form of water ritual - even for mere "obedience" - adds a self-righteous burden, a work of the flesh to the terms of the Gospel, making yours a false, grace-denying gospel.

Further, many of you "obedience baptizers" have said we MADs are sinning when we oppose water rites as not for today. You are dead wrong. It is we who are truly defending what you only say you believe: that salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, WITHOUT WORKS of any kind to be, stay or prove one is saved.

Excellent post/thread.

Zeke

Romans 14:1-4. A (self righteous) grace puritan spreading 1Cor 13? :chuckle:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

i spent the better part of my life thinking water baptism is necessary for salvation. as i got older and witnessed, i began to see that it it is purely symbolic. it is a serious ritual that helps folks fell closer to God and is an outward display of our love for and acceptance of Jesus Christ and the free gift. it's not free with a dunking prerequisite ! btw, before i ever heard of MAD i concluded these things -

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Jesus bore our sins based on our turning from sin. Grace is not a license to practice sin.

Water baptism is a ceremony before witnesses (kind of like a marriage ceremony) after which a person receives the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands.

God so loved the world that He sent His Son to die for our sins.
It wasn't based on our turning from our sins, but, our faith in Christs
death and resurrection.

musterion

i spent the better part of my life thinking water baptism is necessary for salvation. as i got older and witnessed, i began to see that it it is purely symbolic. it is a serious ritual that helps folks fell closer to God and is an outward display of our love for and acceptance of Jesus Christ and the free gift. it's not free with a dunking prerequisite ! btw, before i ever heard of MAD i concluded these things -

When I was an independent fundamental Baptist, I believed as you do. I now see that it is none of those things. What Scripture says is, water rights are Israelitic and ultimately come right out of Law to which the believer today is dead. There is no place for it in the body of Christ because there's no need for it. But human traditions die hard. Water baptism, whatever version a person is told to submit to, is at best how men glory in the flesh of those they convert.

That is why the IFBs, the most biblically sound folks as far as denominations go, count their number of converts by the number of water baptisms they perform, not just by the number of professions of faith in the Gospel. What's that tell you they really believe about water baptism's importance?