All of Revelations happened by the second century?

Dale McClenning

I heard of a theological thought that says all of revelations has already happened, though I do not know what this is called and would like to. I found this interesting because most preachers I hear are like "Well, this is allegorical but this is actual." I find these distinctions interesting on how they are chosen. Does anyone know of what I am referring to?

Hoping

Banned
I heard of a theological thought that says all of revelations has already happened, though I do not know what this is called and would like to. I found this interesting because most preachers I hear are like "Well, this is allegorical but this is actual." I find these distinctions interesting on how they are chosen. Does anyone know of what I am referring to?
I have never heard of that POV before.
Welcome to the site.

Dale McClenning

Interesting stuff. It would seem to have a few versus that would force the idea, though I am sure those are interpreted differently by others. Of course I always found it interesting how others would say "This is past but this is future." From a strictly historic perspective, Preterism sounds like a theology created for convenience at the time (avoid calling the Catholic church the Babylon the Great), but that also sounds harsh. Of course that is a problem of other lines of thought - who is who. People love to label current institutions/people as Revelation prophecy, all of which have been wrong.

I have not done a thorough study of this as I have other things so do not have a "strictly from scripture" view formed yet.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
People love to label current institutions/people as Revelation prophecy, all of which have been wrong.
The futurists have been wrong literally every time. I'm old enough to remember Hal Lindsey's books in the 1970s and 1980s and read some of them. (Lindsey laughed all the way to the bank at the expense of people like me.) My personal favorite book title of his is, "The 1980s: Countdown to Armageddon." LOL. It was always the end of the world with those people. As the years turned into decades, I have seen how those "end times" prophecy hucksters were wrong about everything.

I have not done a thorough study of this as I have other things so do not have a "strictly from scripture" view formed yet.
The view that I hold now is called "partial preterism." This is a sort of "best of both worlds" interpretation of Bible prophecy in that it teaches that much of Revelation was "partially fulfilled" with the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., but it also holds to a future literal Second Coming of Christ, resurrection, final judgment, etc. This is actually the view held by the Catholic Church regarding Bible prophecy.

Reactions: Lon

kjw47

Banned

Only those in darkness say it happened back then. Rev 21:4-- And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning, outcry or pain be anymore, the former things have passed away--This surely has not occurred yet.
The world has been watching revelation pass before their eyes for well over 100 years now.
Its sad that these teachers are real-2Cor 11:12-15 and teach things like rev happened back then--Run from them.

DAN P

Interesting stuff. It would seem to have a few versus that would force the idea, though I am sure those are interpreted differently by others. Of course I always found it interesting how others would say "This is past but this is future." From a strictly historic perspective, Preterism sounds like a theology created for convenience at the time (avoid calling the Catholic church the Babylon the Great), but that also sounds harsh. Of course that is a problem of other lines of thought - who is who. People love to label current institutions/people as Revelation prophecy, all of which have been wrong.

If you use BLUE LETTER BIBLE on your laptop it will help you learn RELATIVE PRONOUNS , TENSES , VOICES , MOODS , FUTURE TENSES and CASES and learn GREEK at the same time .
If you see the words NOT , LEST , NEITHER , CANOT BE they are called DISJUNCATIVE PARTICILE NEGATIVES , like in Gal 3:28 .

dan p

marke

The futurists have been wrong literally every time. I'm old enough to remember Hal Lindsey's books in the 1970s and 1980s and read some of them. (Lindsey laughed all the way to the bank at the expense of people like me.) My personal favorite book title of his is, "The 1980s: Countdown to Armageddon." LOL. It was always the end of the world with those people. As the years turned into decades, I have seen how those "end times" prophecy hucksters were wrong about everything.

The view that I hold now is called "partial preterism." This is a sort of "best of both worlds" interpretation of Bible prophecy in that it teaches that much of Revelation was "partially fulfilled" with the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., but it also holds to a future literal Second Coming of Christ, resurrection, final judgment, etc. This is actually the view held by the Catholic Church regarding Bible prophecy.
Jesus has not yet fulfilled this prophecy in which He will return to earth to bathe in the blood of His enemies:

Revelation 19:13
And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

Revelation 19:15
And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of thefierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Revelation 19:21
And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.