• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Allegory/Symbolism in Genesis 1

Right Divider

Body part
Some have claimed that Genesis 1 is just allegorical or symbolic. This is a thread for them to explain the allegory and/or the symbolism in that chapter.

Rules:
  • Clear definitions required.
    • No ambiguity.
    • No equivocation.
  • No fallacies allowed.
    • No begging the question.
    • No appeals to popularity.
    • No appeals to authority.
Go!

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Some have claimed that Genesis 1 is just allegorical or symbolic. This is a thread for them to explain the allegory and/or the symbolism in that chapter.

Rules:
  • Clear definitions required.
    • No ambiguity.
    • No equivocation.
  • No fallacies allowed.
    • No begging the question.
    • No appeals to popularity.
    • No appeals to authority.
Go!

How are you gonna get anything going when those supporting allegory or symbolism are hobbled by rule no. 2 for this forum?

As it says above: "2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect."

Right Divider

Body part
How are you gonna get anything going when those supporting allegory or symbolism are hobbled by rule no. 2 for this forum?

As it says above: "2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect."
Allegory and symbolism alone does not make anything a "fairy tale".

If you want to make an argument that Genesis 1 is allegory/symbolism, go for it. Otherwise, just leave this thread.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Allegory and symbolism alone does not make anything a "fairy tale".

If you want to make an argument that Genesis 1 is allegory/symbolism, go for it. Otherwise, just leave this thread.

In essence, yes it does. If it's allegory and/or symbolism, it cannot also be a literal interpretation.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Someone can believe the Bible is true but not literal. They aren't calling it a fable or a fairy tale, aka fake.

This thread is within the rules.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Someone can believe the Bible is true but not literal. They aren't calling it a fable or a fairy tale, aka fake.

This thread is within the rules.

I didn't say the thread wasn't within the rules.

I'm saying that those supporting allegory or symbolism over literalism will be hobbled by rule no. 2 for this forum and will likely be booted from it eventually for crossing whatever line there is for breaking rule no. 2.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yes, it was. Make an argument on the topic.

Indeed, you repeatedly make false and unsupported claims.

You have no point.

I just did. I made my opening statement.

It's only false to you because you believe in a literal six day creation.

I have a point. This is my belief, and you've already decided you don't want to hear any more. In that case what's the point of your thread?

Right Divider

Body part
I just did. I made my opening statement.
Which was not true... i.e., False.
It's only false to you because you believe in a literal six day creation.
The scripture is clear that it is six days.

Exod 20:8-11 (AKJV/PCE)
(20:8) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. (20:9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: (20:10) But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates: (20:11) For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

That is definitive and undeniable. But you deny it anyway.
I have a point.
Wear a hat.
This is my belief, and you've already decided you don't want to hear any more.
Address the topic.
In that case what's the point of your thread?
Address the topic. That is the point.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I didn't say the thread wasn't within the rules.

I'm saying that those supporting allegory or symbolism over literalism will be hobbled by rule no. 2 for this forum and will likely be booted from it eventually for crossing whatever line there is for breaking rule no. 2.

No, they won't. There's already been plenty of people who have come on here claiming the Bible is figurative. They've all made (or at least tried to make) their arguments without getting booted for violating rule 2.