And here we thought we'd lost the war

GFR7

National Review Online

Public opinion is swinging back, thanks to progressives’ excesses.

flag.jpg

I woke up yesterday morning deeply confused. If there is one thing that I thought I’d learned over the past few weeks, it’s that history has a “side,” and I don’t happen to be on it. My views — pro-life, pro-traditional-marriage — were yesterday’s news. The rainbow White House, rainbow Facebook, and — most important — the rainbow Supreme Court all told me so. The culture war was over. All that was left was the mop-up operation. I should hightail it back to my “house of worship” — which the Left would leave alone (for now) — while it purged the academy and the marketplace of the last vestiges of bigotry and backward thinking. It was time to bankrupt the Christian bakers.

All of this was so crystal clear that imagine my confusion when I discovered that since the Supreme Court’s Obergefell decision, three separate polls showed that support for same-sex marriage had declined. Not only that, but almost six in ten Americans now support the right of religious business owners to decline to participate in same-sex weddings — a sharp increase.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...mericans-do-not-like-mean-people-david-french

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Um, I think you're missing his point. He means we did not in any sense lose the culture wars

:chuckle: That anyone would be so invested with the private lives of complete strangers that would refer to it as *war*.

GFR7

:chuckle: That anyone would be so invested with the private lives of complete strangers that would refer to it as *war*.
The culture wars are recognized by media, journalists, scholars, historians, theologians, and politicians, not to mention the public. We're not concerned with the private aspects, but the PUBLIC ones. That's what makes it a culture war.

No one cares about the private lives of 1.5% of the population.

That gays can now marry covers that aspect for them, but it does not cover the aspect they sought most fiercely: To be fully accepted and celebrated by the public. This is the point of David French's article. :wave2:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That gays can now marry covers that aspect for them, but it does not cover the aspect they sought most fiercely: To be fully accepted and celebrated by the public.

Oh ... so when you married it was to be fully accepted and celebrated by the public?

That is, after all, the reason you are stating that people marry ... unless of course, you have a crystal ball which allows you to see into the minds of others. :think:

GFR7

Oh ... so when you married it was to be fully accepted and celebrated by the public?

That is, after all, the reason you are stating that people marry ... unless of course, you have a crystal ball which allows you to see into the minds of others. :think:
I'm basing it on advocacy literature.

GFR7

That's what you're hanging your hat on?

51% support, 35% oppose SSM

U.S. Support for Gay Marriage Stable After High Court Ruling

Um....congratulations? :idunno:
No, that is NOT what I am basing it on. :doh:

In the wake of Obergefell, Three New Polls show reduced support for same sex marriage

Within the past couple weeks, three separate national polls have been conducted on the issue of same-sex marriage. Interestingly, each of these three polls shows a decline in support for it. Both Ipsos/Reuters and Gallup conducted polls in early July — just days after the Supreme Court handed its ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges.

Both polls found a slight decline in the percentage of Americans who support same-sex marriage as compared to previous polls that each firm conducted earlier this spring.

Additionally, a third poll by the AP found that only 42 percent of Americans support same sex marriage. This is a decline of 6 points from the organization’s last poll on the issue in April. It also found a significant increase in percentage of people — 59 percent in June vs. only 52 percent in April — who said wedding-related businesses with religious objections should be allowed to refuse service to gay and lesbian couples.

These findings are more significant than many observers realize. Historically, Supreme Court rulings tend legitimize certain policies in the eyes of the public — foror instance, good data from the General Social Survey (GSS) indicates that there were gains in support for legal abortion after the Roe v. Wade decision. It is interesting that support for same sex marriage did not increase in the days after the Obergefell decision.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/421443/obergefell-same-sex-marriage-poll-reduced-support

Jose Fly

Yeah, those were two of the polls the article cited. The AP poll was, and remains, an outlier, which is a good indication that it's not as reflective of reality.

GFR7

So ... you think the decision to allow gay marriage will be reversed, do you? :think:
No. I just think in time it will be far less accepted than they expected it to be. Abortion was made legal in all states - many, many people still find it immoral. They don't accept it as normal.

Liberals have won a series of victories on social issues. Most Americans aren’t thrilled about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ssues-most-americans-arent-thrilled-about-it/

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
National Review Online

three separate polls showed that support for same-sex marriage had declined. Not only that, but almost six in ten Americans now support the right of religious business owners to decline to participate in same-sex weddings — a sharp increase

Yay!

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
National Review Online

Public opinion is swinging back, thanks to progressives’ excesses.

flag.jpg

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...mericans-do-not-like-mean-people-david-french
As the global culture continues to expand, human rights and liberty and justice for all will take precedence over the narrow, parochial values of the 19th century.

Today's fundamentalist cultures such as Islam and Christianity still cling to ancient dogmas and theologies that are neither compelling or persuading in a global world.

Unless these two religions change their theology they will shrink and continue to disappear.

According to data from BARMA, the Christian polling company, the fastest growing demographic in our faith is "the un-churched."

GFR7

As the global culture continues to expand, human rights and liberty and justice for all will take precedence over the narrow, parochial values of the 19th century.

Today's fundamentalist cultures such as Islam and Christianity still cling to ancient dogmas and theologies that are neither compelling or persuading in a global world.

Unless these two religions change their theology they will shrink and continue to disappear.

According to data from BARMA, the Christian polling company, the fastest growing demographic in our faith is "the un-churched."
:nananana:

Jose Fly

I think YOU want to wave the AP poll away, as it conflicts with your wishes.

All I did was note that it was an outlier among the larger body of polls, and therefore it's likely not as reflective of reality as the others. That's basic statistics 101.