And the Waters Parted Five Times

Ben Masada

And the Waters Parted Five Times

1 - The first time was in Egypt (Exodus 14:21-25) when the waters of the Sea of Reeds split and the Israelites crossed it on dry ground. When I think of this and 430 years in Egypt building dams up and down the Nile River, the Israelites had become real experts at building dams. Why do I think of this thus? Because, trying to prophetically persuade the Jews to return from Babylon and back to Israel, Isaiah was having a hard time. The majority had taken the advise of Jeremiah in the beginning of the exile and had prospered to the utmost to become rich Jews. (Jeremiah 29:7) They didn't want to face the hard time to return and start all over again. So Isaiah in his vision, as if running out of options, had to release a secret that the Israelites had been the ones who had dried up the sea. So, they should recover their hope again and return. (Isaiah 51:10)

2 - The second time is recorded in Joshua 3:17 and the waters were of the Jordan River when the priests who bore the Ark of the Lord's Covenant stood on dry land exactly on the middle of the Jordan while all Israel crossed over on dry land until the entire nation had finished crossing the Jordan. The Israelites, although a new generation, had not lost their expertise at building dams was concerned.

3 - The third time is recorded in II Kings 2:8 and also in the Jordan River when Elijah took his mantle and rolled it up and struck the water; it divided to the right and left so that the two of them, Elijah and Elisha, crossed over on dry land.

4 - The fourth time is recorded in II Kings 2:14 when Elisha, back from the passing away of Elijah, took the mantle which had dropped from Elijah, he struck the water and said, "Where is the Lord, the God of Elijah? As he struck the water, it parted to the right and to the left and Elisha crossed over.

5 - The fifth time happened in 1967 in a more technical manner, no doubt, if you talked to some Arabs who partook of that War. That's when the Israeli, Infantry and tank forces commanded by General Sharon crossed the Suez Canal on balsas; people and tanks over to the Egyptian side and all the way to Cairo. I asked an Egyptian soldier in the hospital I was working, "Why didn't you guys attack while they were crossing? You don't have to believe because I still can't, but the answer was that they couldn't for they saw angels doing the crossing themselves as they walked on the water. I still think it was a joke but, the truth is that Israeli troops and tanks were over the other side speeding up towards Cairo.