ARCHIVE: Abortion is always murder

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Abortion has been a hot topic on TheologyOnLine for the past few weeks.

I would like to state that abortion is always murder. There is no circumstance, or set of circumstances that would make the taking of an innocent life considered NOT murder.

I would like to explore any and all questions about why abortion is always murder.

I want to make the following pre-statements...

I am a man.... yet I still have the right to condemn abortion
I am not a doctor.... yet I still have the right to condemn abortion

Last edited:
F

firechyld

I don't think I've ever heard a response from you on pregnancies terminated due to medical emergency that would cost the life of both mother and child... for example, ectopic pregnancies, terminal illnesses requiring heavy treatment, etc.

What's your view on those?

firechyld

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Firechyld writes...
I don't think I've ever heard a response from you on pregnancies terminated due to medical emergency that would cost the life of both mother and child... for example, ectopic pregnancies, terminal illnesses requiring heavy treatment, etc.

What's your view on those?
Excellent question! And no doubt the toughest and most difficult to deal with dilemma regarding abortion.

Trust me I do not take this issue lightly.

And I will most likely do a crummy job explaining my view point since this one would be much easier to explain in person. But we do not have that luxury so here goes.....

Terminating pregnancy due to life of the mother is wrong....

However, allowing the mother AND the child to die because of lack of action is also wrong!

The solution is in the intent of the medical community and how society and the law should view this tragic dilemma. All effort should be made to save BOTH the mother and the child in complicated pregnancies. The situation should be handled very similar to handling conjoined twins, in other words when there is the tragic case of conjoined twins and separation must be done or both twins will die, the surgeon(s) do not enter the operation with the mindset that they are going to terminate one twin or the other. The surgeon(s) enter the operation with the mindset that they intend to save BOTH twins, all the while knowing full well that one of the twins will most likely die.

Likewise, in the tragic case of ectopic pregnancies and other similar situations the mindset of the medical community and the doctors involved should be to save BOTH the mother AND the child, even though with our current medical expertise the child will most likely not survive.

That is a drastic contrast to the mindset of abortion which has no other intent but to terminate a life. Think about it.... with an abortion procedure it is only successful if one of the patients die!

It is VERY possible that abortion is constricting medical advances that could be invented to handle these types of complicated pregnancies.

In a nutshell....
Abortion is a mindset of murder and death. Abortion is the lazy man's outlet for complicated situations. A much better mindset is dealing with complicated pregnancies with intent to save all patients (even the littlest ones). And who knows? Someday we may be able to save these little ones even though currently many of them will tragically die.

His_saving_Grac

murder (mûrdõr) n.
1. The unlawful killing of one human being by another, especially with premeditated malice.
2. Slang. Something that is very uncomfortable, difficult, or hazardous.

—murder v. murdered, murdering, murders.
—tr.
1. To kill (another human being) unlawfully.
2. To kill brutally or inhumanly.
3. To put an end to; destroy.
4. To spoil by ineptness; mutilate.
5. Slang. To defeat decisively; trounce.
—intr.
To commit murder.

—idioms.
get away with murder. Informal.
To escape punishment for or detection of an egregiously blameworthy act.
murder will out.
Secrets or misdeeds will eventually be disclosed. —murderer n. —murderess n.

As you can see, it seems the definition of murder deals with the legalness of the killing. If it is unlawful, then it is murder. If it is lawful, then it isn't murder.

The problem we run across in discussing this is that while both abortion and the death penalty are legal in some places and illegal in others, this within this same country, how do we differentiate?

Those who are in the enyartian faction call ALL abortion murders even though that is not true according to the definition of the word.

They also want the death penalty, yet call that NOT murder, although since it IS illegal in most states it does qualify.

Now if we add the very first definition in it's complete usage, then the words "premeditated malice" become a major part of our focus.

IF one is FOR the death penalty, and wants this law in place, then there is premeditation, or forethought on the commiting of the act. Thus those for the death penatly are on par with "murder" in fulfilling the definition.

So lets go on into the definition of the second part of that. Malice

malice (mal*s) n.
1. A desire to harm others or to see others suffer; extreme ill will or spite.
2. Law. The intent, without just cause or reason, to commit a wrongful act that will result in harm to another.

OK, now we see that the Enyart faction is premeditating the deaths of others, AND they do it with malice, since the paper "Day 1" details the way those who are to die are to die slowly and with revenge (offering the family of the victim the opportunity to participate is revenge.)

So the Death Penalty IS murder by the definition of the words.

Now lets look at abortion. They stand up against abortion, and call it murder. Well for the most part, they ARE premeditated (except in life or death situations when the mother and child are both at risk of dying and the mother is not conscience) but can we honestly say it is done with malice? In some cases, I am sure it is. But in most cases? Can we honestly say this mother hates the life inside her? Do they desire to see someone harmed and suffer? Is it extreem ill will or spite? Sometimes yes. Most often, not at all.

Now there are other definitions of murder there. Legality is a big part. So the Enyart faction (I say this because they are the most vocal in this forum. I know there are others who do not believe in what Bob Enyart believes in, yet agrees with them in these issues) seems to want to make one form of murder legal, and another form illegal.

So let's dig deeper. The next definition of murder is brutally. Well that is subjective to the persons opinion, but in most cases, the way that the Enyartians believe the death penalty be carried out is very brutal. (Read day 1 if you have any questions www.enyart.com) They can say the same about an abortion too, so this evens out, they both qualify as murder in this sense.

The next definition qualifies in both cases also. (To put and end to, destroy)

So we go to the last definition (next is a slang so we will pass on that. It really has no bearing on this discussion) To spoil by ineptness/mutilate. Well they both qualify as that.

So as we can see, both the death penalty and abortion CAN qualify as murder, with the death penaly actually being a bit stronger because of the malice and revenge factor.

So are we really discussing abortion as being right or wrong, or should we rather be discussing the value of ALL life. It is perfectly clear that if both of the Enyartian beliefs are put into place, then what they are doing isn't sanctifying all life, but rather insuring that more people live to be tortured in the death penalty clause. If no baby is aborted, then more will end up commiting a crime since we can't even employ 100% of those we DO have, how will we do it with another whatever number Elena Marie came up with in the other thread.

I could not decide on abortion since it is not my body that is carrying this baby. I can only say what I want in my own family, and I could not force my will to be enforced if my partner really wanted an abortion. They do it without doctors now, what would happen once there is no doctor present? We already know because abortion was once illegal.

But what I want to get at is the duplicity of the faction. Reguardless of beliefs, both do qualify as murder by our definitions. So how can one person advocate murder, and in the same breath say that murder is wrong? That is exactly what is being discussed. It isn't the sanctity of life, it is the ideal of opportunity for revenge. It is the want to dictate every aspect of someones life. The NEED to control others.

If you want to be taken serious ND, then you have to make the stand. It is life for all or death for all, not life where YOU pick and choose and death where YOU pick and choose. I know one thing. God isn't going to argue semantics with us on judgement day. He is going to say "All life is precious" and those of you who think they are championing a cause are going to be left out in the dark.

If Abortion is murder, the death penalty is murder. If the death penalty ISN'T murder, then abortion isn't murder.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
HSG writes…
The problem we run across in discussing this is that while both abortion and the death penalty are legal in some places and illegal in others, this within this same country, how do we differentiate?

Those who are in the enyartian faction call ALL abortion murders even though that is not true according to the definition of the word.
OK, HSG let’s go slow for you so you can be an asset to this discussion.

If murder is only murder when it’s deemed illegal by the governing authorities than the holocaust was not murder, do you believe the holocaust was murder? I do! Yet the holocaust was a sanctioned government practice. Therefore, we shouldn’t judge things like murder simply based on the current law, because the current law may be wrong. Make sense?

Said another way…
Abortion is currently legal. Abortion was illegal not so long ago. Was the law wrong when abortion was illegal or is the law wrong now that abortion is legal? I would argue that abortion is murder regardless of what the current law of the land states.

You continue…
They also want the death penalty, yet call that NOT murder, although since it IS illegal in most states it does qualify.
The death penalty is legal in this country (even federally!). Do you think the law that legalized the death penalty is wrong? Or do you think the death penalty is not wrong because it is legal as your above logic would indicate?

You continue…
So the Death Penalty IS murder by the definition of the words.
Only by a nut like you who fails to read his own definitions. :D

You continue…
If you want to be taken serious ND, then you have to make the stand. It is life for all or death for all, not life where YOU pick and choose and death where YOU pick and choose.
Your statement is completely ignorant and only used by the laziest death penalty opponents (there are far more interesting arguments out there).

Capital criminals are guilty of capital crimes and therefore their execution is NOT murder in the same way it is not murder to kill to protect your country and or your family against a perpetrator.

Unborn babies are not capital criminals. They are innocent of any criminal action therefore taking their life is wrong.

Capital Criminals = GUILTY
Little Babies = INNOCENT

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Firechyld I would like to know if you read my response to your question. And if you did, what did you think of it?

beanieboy

Is God a murderer, then, if a woman has a spontaneous abortion within, say, the first month, and may not even know that she was ever pregnant?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Beanie says...
Is God a murderer, then, if a woman has a spontaneous abortion within, say, the first month, and may not even know that she was ever pregnant?
Since when would a miscarriage be murder? No one is claiming that (besides you of course).

Abortion vs. miscarriages
Abortion is a medical procedure in which a "doctor" intentionally kills a living person within or partially within the womb of a woman. A miscarriage is a tragic an unwanted death of a human life. Certainly you can see a distinction between abortion and a miscarriage can't you beanie?

Furthermore God does not orchestrate miscarriages.

beanieboy

I can say that I am unsure about the issue. I struggle with it.

However, I do find it a little odd when a person who is ProLife will talk about poor people who should not have children, complaining about welfare, complaining about unwed mothers, etc.

I find it odd that most ProLife Minnesota ads show a 9 month unborn baby, as opposed to a 1 month baby who has a tiny body and an enormous head, and kind of looks like shrimp, or a tadpole.

But is a embryo a "person" the moment a sperm comes in contact with an egg? In my opinion, to say yes is as pointless as saying no. I don't know.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Beanie says...
I find it odd that most ProLife Minnesota adds show a 9 month unborn baby, as opposed to a 1 month baby who has a tiny body and an enormous head, and kind of looks like shrimp, or a tadpole.
So you feel less guilty about killing what you consider "ugly" babies?

You continue...
But is a embryo a "person" the moment a sperm comes in contact with an egg? In my opinion, to say yes is as pointless as saying no. I don't know.
If you truly "didn't know" if a embryo is a person why would you advocate killing it? If you truly "didn't know" wouldn't you want to error on the side of the embryo being a person just in case?

It would seem a little irresponsible to me to admit that you do not know if a embryo is a child yet advocate terminating that embryo.

beanieboy

Knight said:
Beanie says...Since when would a miscarriage be murder? No one is claiming that (besides you of course).

Abortion vs. miscarriages
Abortion is a medical procedure in which a "doctor" intentionally kills a living person within or partially within the womb of a woman. A miscarriage is a tragic an unwanted death of a human life. Certainly you can see a distinction between abortion and a miscarriage can't you beanie?

Furthermore God does not orchestrate miscarriages.

That's a good point.

However, if your wife got pregnant and confirmed it in February, and 10 weeks into the pregnancy, she miscarried, would you have a full blown funeral for the "child" that was the size of a dime? This is one of the things I don't quite understand. When spontaneous abortions happen - ie, the body naturally expels the embryo, as opposed to the embryo/fetus/baby dying in the womb, it doesn't have the same status. Or maybe it does.
It's just that I have never been to a funeral where someone was burying something that looked like a tadpole. It was always at least 7 months or more into the pregnancy.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Beanie writes...
However, if your wife got pregnant and confirmed it in February, and 10 weeks into the pregnancy, she miscarried, would you have a full blown funeral for the "child" that was the size of a dime?
I am not sure what type of service would be appropriate with a miscarriage hopefully that never happens to me or my wife! But I do not think the type of funeral service is an indication on the importance of the life lost. There have been many funeral services in history of all types and sizes.

Some have died and NO services were performed yet that does not diminish the importance of their life, right? Others have lived and died without anyone knowing that they existed yet their life was still as important to them as yours is to you.

You continue...
When spontaneous abortions happen - ie, the body naturally expels the embryo, as opposed to the embryo/fetus/baby dying in the womb, it doesn't have the same status.
There is no such thing a "natural abortion" as you seem to indicate with your "spontaneous abortion" comment. Any time that a baby naturally dies in the womb that is a "miscarriage" any time that a "doctor" kills a living person in the womb then that is an abortion.

Last edited:

beanieboy

Termination of pregnancy and expulsion of an embryo or of a fetus that is incapable of survival.

Any of various procedures that result in such termination and expulsion. Also called induced abortion.

The premature expulsion of a nonviable fetus from the uterus; a miscarriage.

Cessation of normal growth, especially of an organ or other body part, prior to full development or maturation.

An aborted organism.

Something malformed or incompletely developed; a monstrosity.

Sorry you have an issue with the definition.
Maybe you can take it up with webster.

Sometimes, the embryo dies OUTSIDE of the womb. Not because a doctor did anything. The embryo connects on the uteran wall, and early on in the pregnancy, it just expels everything, and the embryo is expelled. See definition 1.

Last edited:

Flyonthewall

I am in agreement with Knight.

If we take our definitions from Scripture, instead of Webster, we can clearly deduce that murder is the taking of innocent life, or the shedding of innocent blood. Note, two agents are employed: the one whose blood is shed, and the one doing the shedding. A miscarriage cannot be classified as murder because no one "sheds" innocent blood--it is a natural phenomena. This does not make the life any less precious, but no one can be held accountable for the crime of shedding innocent blood, because no crime was committed!

As to the issue of funerals, I would say that we rely more on our customs in this regard than anything. I do know people who have had funerals for miscarried babies, or other ceremonies of rememberance. At any rate, the funeral is not the deciding factor of life, the word of God is.

For some good resource material check out Operation Save America: http://www.operationsaveamerica.org. Their link section has several good websites on the topic of abortion.

Flyonthewall

Proverbs 24:11-12

"Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. If you say, 'But we knew nothing about this,' does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?"

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's funny! As soon as I posted that last post I saw you had submitted the link. We must think alike! (poor you!) ;)

Thanks for the link!

F

firechyld

Hi Knight.... Sorry, I DID read this earlier but didn't get around to responding for some reason.

Thanks for the swift and non-avoidy response.... as I've mentioned on other threads, it's an question which is reasonably difficult to get answered.

Knight said:
Likewise, in the tragic case of ectopic pregnancies and other similar situations the mindset of the medical community and the doctors involved should be to save BOTH the mother AND the child, even though with our current medical expertise the child will most likely not survive.

That is a drastic contrast to the mindset of abortion which has no other intent but to terminate a life. Think about it.... with an abortion procedure it is only successful if one of the patients die!

Since we're talking about medically required abortions, I think we should assume that every pregnancy we're talking about in this focus is a wanted one.

In that case, I agree with you completely that every effort be made to save both mother and child... however, it is rarely possible.

A scenario I find even more difficult to milk a response out of people, however, is this (which I have posted on another thread):

A woman is suffering from a potentially terminal and rapidly spreading cancer. She is pregnant.

All other attempts to save her life have failed. The only available recourse is extreme chemotherapy.

A pregnant woman cannot be given chemotherapy. Without treatment, she will die long before she can give birth.

In this instance, either the mother and child both die, or an abortion is deliberately performed to enable the mother to be treated.

*shrug*

It certainly doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen. What's your view on this hypothetical?

It is VERY possible that abortion is constricting medical advances that could be invented to handle these types of complicated pregnancies.

Hmmm... I'd disagree there. From what I've seen, medical research seems to be poured into saving the lives of adults and children alike.

Are you basing that statement on anything specific?

firechyld