ARCHIVE: Is it ever OK for a Christian to hate someone?

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
I had heard about this thread a long time ago, but never had a chance to read it. Wow! Glad it got bumped!

uk_mikey

Glad you enjoyed!

I think the good parson will also enjoy it!

I've no idea what the parson will think. However, I've never even concidered the possibility of justifiable hate. Having read all the quotations and arguements put forward, it really does make a lot of sense, even if it feels kind of difficult at first.

You know those times when you feel a bulb light up on top of your head? :D

uk_mikey

I'm looking for some clarification here.

I came a cross what seemed like a contradiction. I can't actually find it now, but I thought that someone said that righteous hate can only be right if directed at another Christian.
Another person has said that righteous hate can only right when directed at a non-christian... (I think! :confused: )... or can it be righteous at both?

Sorry. I'm a little confused, and not very bright. :)

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
I'm looking for some clarification here.

I came a cross what seemed like a contradiction. I can't actually find it now, but I thought that someone said that righteous hate can only be right if directed at another Christian.
Another person has said that righteous hate can only right when directed at a non-christian... (I think! :confused: )... or can it be righteous at both?

Sorry. I'm a little confused, and not very bright. :)

I'm not sure where you saw that.

Righteous at both is correct. The key most people miss (me included for many years) is that you can have variable degrees of love and hate at the same time.

I hate the man who used to beat me for 10 years as a child. I would like to see him dead and the sooner the better! It is a righteous hate. But I love him enough to forgive him if he repents and to preach Christ to him for the sake of his soul and because of my love for God.

uk_mikey

I'm not sure where you saw that.

Righteous at both is correct. The key most people miss (me included for many years) is that you can have variable degrees of love and hate at the same time.

I hate the man who used to beat me for 10 years as a child. I would like to see him dead and the sooner the better! It is a righteous hate. But I love him enough to forgive him if he repents and to preach Christ to him for the sake of his soul and because of my love for God.

Sorry, I thought I'd read one point in this thread, and a contradictory point somewhere else, but I can't for the life of me find them anymore. I went through so many posts last night.

It doesn't matter anyway. Your explaination has really clarified it for me. Your example is spot on! Thanks. :)

Silk Queen

I do my best to love, but I have been having a hard time getting past the actions of a family member that is doing some very hateful things that has a bad effect on others and myself.
Do I hate her maybe a bit but yet I love her, how is this possible?:confused:
I think there is a fine line between the two, but I am hoping love wins.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Ok got it together we are not to hate the person, hate what they may be doing but can't hate them....Love wins again.

Or you could love them and hate them at the same time. It deosn't have to be 100% of either. I too hope love wins out! Tough love is a part of love too!:cheers:

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
hating anyone
anytime
is a sin

So you condemn God for His hate?
You will answer to Him someday for that weak minded evil comment:

Some verses to consider when asking whether God ever hates a person.

Lev. 20:23- "And you shall not walk in the statutes of the nation which I am casting out before you; for they commit all these things, and therefore I abhor them."

Lev. 26:30- "I will destroy your high places, cut down your incense altars, and cast your carcasses on the lifeless forms of your idols; and My soul shall abhor you."

Ps. 5:5,6- "The boastful shall not stand in Your sight; you hate all workers of iniquity. You shall destroy those who speak falsehood; the LORD abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man."

Ps. 11:5- "The LORD tests the righteous, but the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates."

Prov. 6:16-19- "These six things the LORD hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, A false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren."

Hos. 9:15- "All their wickedness is in Gilgal, for there I hated them. Because of the evil of their deeds I will drive them from My house; I will love them no more. All their princes are rebellious."

And some verses about believers hating people (not just their actions):

Ps. 26:5- "I have hated the assembly of evildoers, and will not sit with the wicked."

Ps. 31:6- "I have hated those who regard useless idols; but I trust in the LORD."

Ps 119:113- "I hate the double-minded, but I love Your law."

Ps. 139:21,22- "Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies."

Ecc. 3:1-8- "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven:...A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."

Jude 22,23- "And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh."