ARCHIVE: Who wrote the book of Hebrews

ApologeticJedi

Sir Cast-a-Lot said:
was apollos jewish?

I believe Apollos was led to the Lord by Aquilla, not necessarily someone who had walked with Christ. The author of Hebrews seems to indicate that he, along with most of his readers, were lead to the Lord by those that heard Jesus speak.

I'm not sure that Apollos was saved by the same circumcision teaching that Hebrews characterizes, however I suppose it is possible.

ApologeticJedi

SteveT said:
I've always been of the opinion it was Barnabas, as he was a Levite and therefore the topic of the priesthood would have been particularly of interest to him. Also, most scholars agree the epistle is really a sermon, not a letter (it lacks the usual structural characteristics of a letter), and by it's theme it is clearly addressed to well educated Jews, very possibly priests and Levites, written by someone who, though not one of the twelve, had a very high standing among them. Barnabas, whose stature was great enough that on his word they allowed the much-feared Paul to meet the Apostles (Acts 9:27), certainly seems to fit the bill.

Barnabas was Mark's cousin I believe, so those things are true of Mark as well. We don't know anything about Barnabas' salvation, however, the Bible does record that Mark was a second hand convert of Peter's (which is significant since Hebrews follows along with the two epistles written by Peter). That the Bible would give us that clue, and leave none on Barnabas, I believe points us more to Mark as the most likely of suspects.

ApologeticJedi

Chileice said:
Although you did a nice job of putting a case for Mark on the table, you didn't take anyone elso off of it. As well, if you read Mark and Hebrews side by side... even in English, I think you will convince yourself that the same person didn't write both.

Despite the fact that Mark is a book of narrative stories penned (according to tradition) by Mark at Peter's dictation, and Hebrews is an epistle written about current events and doctrine, there actually are a great deal of similiarities. Of course Mark is faster paced as would be consistent with someone who is writting about something he heard verses something he saw. Mark is about story after story, where Hebrews is an epistle of theology. Yet both writers show at times that they have a wonderful grasp of the Greek and both seem to use the Septuagint as a primary souce.

I do disagree that I didn't take people off the table ... I believe Paul, Peter, most of the apostles were removed for instance. I admit that a few others remain, but none generally have the biblical evidence supporting their case that Mark does.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ninjashadow said:
I've heard that it may have been Luke, but Luke was not Jewish. He did, however, have a love for the jews (I would assume) because of his travels with Paul.

I tend to think that the strongest case could be made for Apollos.

Apollos, I have thought of as the G. Campbell Morgan of his day, you know excellence, spit and polish.

I have heard the same thing about Luke, it doesn't seem unreasonable, except maybe lacking of historical records . . . Then again, a gentle giving a message to the Hebrews about the evidence of faith I don't think could impossible.

Acts is the NT book not finished, no ending, because it's ending is be lived today; Hebrews has no introdutory salutation . . . Maybe Hebrews is a continuation of Acts . . . Maybe.

Nothing to get excited about, just a "I was just thinking bone" to gnaw on :think:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The more I read Hebrews the more I think it is part of a sermon...I say part because he promises to get beyond the first things concerning salvation but scarcely does, unless in a subsequent sermon...it has all the hall marks of preaching, the constant breaking off into exhortation or comfort...so preacher Philip is a candidate, although I do not think an apostle would have written those words that have been so used to support the idea that salvation can be lost...but a preacher in the heat of preaching might have said those things.

My view...we will know when we get to heaven