"Ask Five" for Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chileice

I am taking AMR's idea of asking 5 questions of some different people and letting them answer without having any agenda or any long-term thread. You can see his idea here:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40575

Five questions for Knight:

1. How long have you been in Colorado?
2. What was your religious affiliation before you joined DBC?
3. Do you have any idea what ever happened to Parson Jefferson?
4. Where will the Avs finish in the NHL this year?
5. Do you believe in your hear that "truthsmacking" is a better way of witnessing than sharing in a warm and personal way with an unbeliever? Why or why not?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
1. How long have you been in Colorado?

Other than a brief residence in California when I was a teenager I have lived in Colorado my entire life.

2. What was your religious affiliation before you joined DBC?

I was raised in a Catholic family, turned hard-core God hating atheist as a teen/young adult and then became a Christian.

Several years later I helped start Denver Bible Church.

3. Do you have any idea what ever happened to Parson Jefferson?

No.

4. Where will the Avs finish in the NHL this year?

I love the off-season signings of Ryan Smyth and Scott Hannan but it's hard to say how the team will do this year. I think they will make the playoffs somewhere in the 7th or 8th spot.

5. Do you believe in your hear that "truthsmacking" is a better way of witnessing than sharing in a warm and personal way with an unbeliever? Why or why not?

Truthsmacking is what TOL is all about. TOL is designed for the truthsmacking style and that's what makes TOL so different and fun.

Is it a better method of evangelism? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. To everything there is a season and a purpose. :)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I was raised in a Catholic family, turned hard-core God hating atheist as a teen/young adult and then became a Christian.

I am certainly not trying to make waves here, which would be plain stupid to purposely annoy an administrator. Let’s say my question has honest motivation.

Here is what I do not understand at all; why would you ‘turn hard-core God hating’ when you came from apparently a good Catholic family?

I was raised in a good Anglican family and never once thought about leaving the faith. Sure, there were times when I was around ten years old, I played hooky from church, but this was simple childish behavior, not a thoughtful process and certainly not rebellion from my faith. By the time I went off to college, I was a committed member of my church; I have never doubted my faith in a major way. I do not understand very well why someone would, unless his or her home life was intolerable.

This point has a great deal of meaning for me because if one has a consistent faith and membership in the church of their family, ones phenomenological approach is bound to be different. Those who leave the church of their family and come back to the Christian way of life and bound to be more adamant and determined to express their conversion. Those you are always part of one’s family church are less likely to think about having made a personal change, thus they are less adamant of their belief because they have always had their faith and the idea of not being of faith is foreign to one’s mind.

I too wonder if being a Catholic might have different implications for Americans, although I strongly doubt it! My years of elementary and secondary school are similar the Catholic school experience and I have always taken it for grated the religion was an academic study as much as anything else until I went to college.

What do you think about this?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I am certainly not trying to make waves here, which would be plain stupid to purposely annoy an administrator. Let’s say my question has honest motivation.

Here is what I do not understand at all; why would you ‘turn hard-core God hating’ when you came from apparently a good Catholic family?
My family was similar to many Catholic families in that church was simply religion. (a process, not a relationship) It's something you do (or should do) on Sundays.

It meant nothing to me other than an annoyance and a distraction. Therefore, when I got older I rejected it completely just like dozens of other Catholics I know.

Anecdotal to be sure, but it also seems to be a very wide-spread problem in the cult of Catholicism.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I like how Knight directly answers questions. No obfuscations. :)
Thank you!!!

Actually it's very nice that you should say that because that is my NUMBER one goal as a human.

I pride myself on straight, direct answers. In fact.... I would be honored if you all would start referring to me as "the Anti-Obfuscator!"

Now, all I need is a side-kick.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I have no reason to doubt you. I do know that my family and friends who were raised in the Anglican or Episcopalian Church never left the Church. I cannot think of any who did other than a few who became Methodists.

Perhaps is it regional or generational, I am not sure. One point I made is that most people I know are part of their church.

The Berean

My family was similar to many Catholic families in that church was simply religion. (a process, not a relationship) It's something you do (or should do) on Sundays.

It meant nothing to me other than an annoyance and a distraction. Therefore, when I got older I rejected it completely just like dozens of other Catholics I know.

Anecdotal to be sure, but it also seems to be a very wide-spread problem in the cult of Catholicism.

Wow, Knight, you and I had similar experiences. I hated going to mass on Sundays. It was so boring and it seemed to go on forever. I got the distinct impression that most everyone there didn't want to be there. They just went because they thought they had to be there. There was no personal relationship with Jesus Christ taught at all. As soon as I was old enough I stopped going to mass and then in college I became an agnostic/atheist. It wasn't until I was 30 that God pulled me out of darkness.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It wasn't until I was 30 that God pulled me out of darkness.
God was always pulling at you, but it wasn't until you were 30 that you answered the call. :)

Oh and.... that is an oddly similar story to mine. I know lots of folks that have our story.

The Berean

God was always pulling at you, but it wasn't until you were 30 that you answered the call. :)

Oh and.... that is an oddly similar story to mine. I know lots of folks that have our story.

:Slippery: This is who? GOD?! :shocked:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
That's really tragic. I am sorry to hear that, I will pray for them. :(

They don’t see it as tragic, but I am sure they would appreciate you praying for them and I know they would do the same for you.

Are your parents still living and if so, are they still Catholics?

PKevman

Thank you!!!

Actually it's very nice that you should say that because that is my NUMBER one goal as a human.

I pride myself on straight, direct answers. In fact.... I would be honored if you all would start referring to me as "the Anti-Obfuscator!"

Now, all I need is a side-kick.

I'll apply for the role of "Sidekick" brother. I'll be

"The Non-Determinist".

We could be like Lone Ranger and Tonto, but we would be:

"The Dispensational Cowboys".

:rotfl:

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
Knight I never understood the God hating Athiest bit.

As you were raised a Catholic, did you turn your back on God.

If you did you were not an Atheist, as you still believed in him to hate him. You were still deist.

You have to simply not believe in God, to be an Atheist, for cannot hate nor love something you don't believe in, it's a simple logical premise. You cannot hate God if you don't believe in him.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight I never understood the God hating Athiest bit.

As you were raised a Catholic, did you turn your back on God.
No, I never knew Him at that point.

If you did you were not an Atheist, as you still believed in him to hate him. You were still deist.
I did not believe in God at all. I believed that we are matter and energy, that's it! Nothing more, nothing less and when you died you simply ceased to exist.

You have to simply not believe in God, to be an Atheist, for cannot hate nor love something you don't believe in, it's a simple logical premise. You cannot hate God if you don't believe in him.
Fair enough, but NOW knowing that God exists I can objectively look back on my life and recognize I was wrong and therefore hating God (who does in fact exist).

Get it? These arguments are kinda silly don't you think?

For instance... you believe that God doesn't exist. But you are wrong. Therefore you are a God-hating atheist.

Status
Not open for further replies.