Atheist Morality

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pointing out hypocrisy on the other side is not a fallacy.

Take it up with the people who maintain lists of logical fallacies.

I can hold to any belief I like. Failings on my part do nothing to bolster your position. You received a challenge to what you believe. Deal with that instead of crawling into your shell and chucking stuff.

Either the evidence provided to support the notion is valid or it is not. Of course you people here ignore the evidence, offer no evidence of your own, and offer a bold conclusion. What is that fallacy called?

Poisoning the well. :)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Take it up with the people who maintain lists of logical fallacies.

I can hold to any belief I like. Failings on my part do nothing to bolster your position. You received a challenge to what you believe. Deal with that instead of crawling into your shell and chucking stuff.

Poisoning the well. :)
It's always fun to catch somebody in a contradiction, especially if they have a habit of catching other people in contradictions.

I prefer to go meta and note that we are ALL bundles of contradictions.

A statement that would appear to be contradictory since it posits a universal. 🤔

So I always qualify it by saying ...

... except me 😁

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They know He exists, no matter how much they deny it.
As for Santa and B'man, I hate the idea of them.
They are false idols usurping the glory due to God.

That’s your ego talking. Those who are secure in their beliefs don’t need to exclaim everyone else agrees with them.

Hoping

Banned
Fictional analysis of the human condition are not lies. I would argue the adventures of Huck Finn and the tragedy of Othello provide more valuable lessons than most Bible verses.
How did you get that from my reaction to Santa Clause?
That's fine, but why must that preclude all else?
Nothing else is based on justice and love.
And on graceful hope.

Skeeter

Banned
Here is something Huck Finn demonstrated that the Bible did not do as well on: Slavery is wrong; racism is wrong.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Here is something Huck Finn demonstrated that the Bible did not do as well on: Slavery is wrong; racism is wrong.
Galatians 3:28 - "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Galatians 3:28 - "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

I would refrain from applying verses specifically speaking about the Body of Christ to this context...

Acts 17 works though...

Hoping

Banned
Is that the Huck who called black folks niggers?
I seem to remember some words that ban slavery, racism, and every other social wrong.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

I would refrain from applying verses specifically speaking about the Body of Christ to this context...

Acts 17 works though...

@Jefferson this is why:

"I thought nothing was said about trans rights."

marke

Tweedle Derf:

A nonreligious person can derive morals from reasoned consideration of tradition, precedent, and evidence; the application of principles of a Democratic Republic, and logical assessment of internal consistency and predicted outcomes.

An opinion that can be objectively evaluated based on the efficacy in increasing well-being and reducing misery. Religious morality is based on opinion to a similar or greater degree than that of your typical atheist because interpretation of Bible verses yields so many differences. Look what happened here with Christians arguing on whether a wife can be raped by a husband. The female Christians side with the liberals on this one. A clearly immoral action is marred by confusing text.

The explanation of the origin of species does not dictate morality to an atheist. Unregulated Capitalism is the system conservatives advocate most, and it is the model most consistent with survival of the fittest. Additionally, evolution is about reproductive advantage, not killing off the competition.

Derf, your contentions are odd and you seem to take away nothing from conversing with people who think differently than you. You could never strong-man someone else's position.
Clear-minded humans have consciences that view morality as it is in truth, not as they want to view it in perversion. For example, murder is immoral, as is adultery, homosexuality, bestiality, theft, lying, and so forth.

Derf

Tweedle Derf:

A nonreligious person can derive morals from reasoned consideration of tradition, precedent, and evidence; the application of principles of a Democratic Republic, and logical assessment of internal consistency and predicted outcomes.

An opinion that can be objectively evaluated based on the efficacy in increasing well-being and reducing misery. Religious morality is based on opinion to a similar or greater degree than that of your typical atheist because interpretation of Bible verses yields so many differences. Look what happened here with Christians arguing on whether a wife can be raped by a husband. The female Christians side with the liberals on this one. A clearly immoral action is marred by confusing text.

The explanation of the origin of species does not dictate morality to an atheist. Unregulated Capitalism is the system conservatives advocate most, and it is the model most consistent with survival of the fittest. Additionally, evolution is about reproductive advantage, not killing off the competition.

Derf, your contentions are odd and you seem to take away nothing from conversing with people who think differently than you. You could never strong-man someone else's position.
@Skeeter, thanks for addressing this to me, and for starting a new thread--that's a great way to do it. I'm sorry I didn't see it until last night. If you want to address a particular member, use the @ symbol followed by the user name, and it will ping me directly. Like this: @username.

Regarding your post, forgive my obtuseness, but didn't you just restate what I said in mine, but with a lot more words?