ECT Baptism

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
yes, water baptism sybolizes Jesus death and resurrection. once baptized we are dead to sin. dead in Christ, because Jesus defeated sin and death. we will be resurrected. ther is also baptism by Spirit and baptism by fire. washing away of sins also, of course:rain:

john w

Hall of Fame
Baptism in the early Church:

And concerning baptism, baptize this way: After reviewing all of this teaching, baptize in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in living (running) water. But if living water is not available, then baptize into other water; and cold is prefered, but if not available in warm. But if neither is available, pour water three times upon the head in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism, let the overseer fast, and also the one being baptized, and all others who are able; Be sure to instruct the one being baptized to fast one or two days before. Didache 7

Next what saith He? And there was a river streaming from the right
hand, and beautiful trees rose up from it; and whosoever shall eat
of them shall live forever.
This He saith, because we go down into the water laden with sins and
filth, and rise up from it bearing fruit in the heart, resting our
fear and hope on Jesus in the spirit. And whosoever shall eat of
these shall live forever; He meaneth this; whosoever, saith He,
shall hear these things spoken and shall believe, shall live forever.

Barnabas 11:10-11

I will also relate the manner in which we dedicated ourselves to God when we had been made new through Christ; lest, if we omit this, we seem to be unfair in the explanation we are making. As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water

Justin Martyr (first apology 61)

Moreover, the things proceeding from the waters were blessed by God, that this also might be a sign of men's being destined to receive repentance and remission of sins, through the water and laver of regeneration,--as many as come to the truth, and are born again, and receive blessing from God

Theophilus of Antioch (2,16)

all quotations found here: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

Peace!
PJ

Irrelevant. No such thing as a "Christian Baptism," based upon Matthew-John, at least prior to the dbr, and after, in "early Acts." Baptism was an OT "ordinance," right out of the OT, according to the law.

Sit down-you have not studied this subject.

PhilipJames

Hello john,

Irrelevant. No such thing as a "Christian Baptism," based upon Matthew-John, at least prior to the dbr, and after, in "early Acts." Baptism was an OT "ordinance," right out of the OT, according to the law.

I use the term 'Christian baptism' specifically to differentiate it from ritual washing of the old covenant. The two are not the same.

Peace!
PJ

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
If the 3000 on the day of Pentecost had refused water baptism then they would not have received the Holy Spirit---

Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Act 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

LA

Today we are "Baptized by the Holy Spirit into the "Body of Christ!"
Water baptism plays no part in that, Spiritual work!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Hello john,

I use the term 'Christian baptism' specifically to differentiate it from ritual washing of the old covenant. The two are not the same.

Peace!
PJ

Christian Baptism; (1 Corinthians 12:13) "For by one Spirit are we
all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether
we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."

vfirestormv

Bump for water baptizers/baptizees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musterion View Post
Whichever style or mode of water baptism you personally subscribe to...if a professing believer refuses it as unnecessary, is God displeased?

Refuses it as unnecessary, no I don't think God is displeased. Refuses it outright as fulfilling all righteousness as it is a symbol of our baptism with the Spirit, I would say yes God is displeased.
Much like it is not necessary for works to save or keep you, but if you don't have good works is God displeased? I would say yes.
And actually I rephrase that, God is displeased with every idle deed we do. If not done for the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ it is idle works and will be burnt up. But those things that we do that are for His glory shall remain.

vfirestormv

You believe submission to water baptism fulfills righteousness?

I believe our Lord gave us an example and we should follow it. I used that quote as that is what the Lord said to John. Now weather that has any bearing on us I do not know. And again, I know it has no bearing on salvation, but it identifies me to the world as being His.
But I do know that Peter and the disciples baptized with water. I also know that Paul baptized a few with water and the reason he didn't baptize more in water he tells us. Because he didn't want people saying as they did before, I am of Paul or I am of John or of Jesus. We are all baptized into one Spirit and therefore are all one. That is the baptism with the Spirit.
Do you believe that communion is for us? Do you not think that it is a picture of what already happened? Is it necessary? I would say no, but the Lord did say as oft as ye do it, do in remembrance of me.

musterion

What righteousness does submission to water baptism provide that the believer's identification with Christ doesn't? Conversely, what righteousness will a believer lack if they refuse it?

vfirestormv

What righteousness does submission to water baptism provide that the believer's identification with Christ doesn't? Conversely, what righteousness will a believer lack if they refuse it?

None what so ever. I probably should not have even used that quote. The point I am trying to make is that if Jesus did it and the disciples did it and Paul also baptized with water, why would we not want to follow that example?

Do you partake of communion, ever? If so or no, why so or why no?
Why do you try to lay a snare for someone to try to catch a word here or there that is off rather than see what the point is they are making. You know that I do not believe it is a requirement but you can tell that I think it is important. Why not focus on those facts for questions, instead of questions of words to try to ensnare someone?

Have you ever been water baptized? Why so, or why not?

Do you believe by partaken of water baptism, that in my mind is an outward showing to the world that I am dead with Him, buried with Him and raised with him, is wrong?

heir

TOL Subscriber
symbolic:dead:

baptism BY ONE SPIRIT into one Body 1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV

It's a baptism into Christ,

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

His death

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

No water!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
baptism BY ONE SPIRIT into one Body 1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV

It's a baptism into Christ,

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

His death

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

No water!

Yep!