BEL: The record industry Gets Theirs 08-04-2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Yorzhik
Quantified loss of a potential? You call that quantifying?
Of course... don't you???

When a company spends money on marketing they are spending money on "potential" business. When you stock a warehouse full of goods you are spending money (REAL money) on potential customers.

When a record company spends money producing a music CD they are spending that money based on the potential that they will make it back (and then some) on potential customers!

All investments are investments in potential.

Its pretty simple really...

The record company invests money into a product that they plan to sell for a predetermined price.

Therefore the record company has basically invested REAL money into a product that they will sell to the public. The record company is saying to their potential customers... we have a product that we will make available for you and you can buy it for "x" amount of dollars.

The pirate says...
You don't need to pay the record company for this product for I have copied it and I will give it to you for free.

A theft has occurred. The product worth "x" has been given to a potential customer for free instead of "x" amount of dollars. the record company has just lost a portion of their investment.

I have yet to see you make an argument that demonstrates otherwise.

You continue...
Justice cannot survive false accusations. You have to restore money actually lost; you cannot have the convicted paying back money that wasn't actually stolen!
The money lost is the retail price of the item stolen. In this case $17.99 or whatever the CD was priced at times the amount it was distributed.

You continue...
Convicted - "Your honor, I only stole a VCR worth $100, isn't $10,000 restitution a bit beyond the crime?"
Judge - "That VCR had the potential of being a Museum piece in the future worth thousands. My judgement is totally just."
I am not making an argument for the value of the stolen item increasing. Only for the amount of the item at retail.

Your example only bolsters my point in that the thief is guilty of stealing a VCR worth $100 just as the pirate is guilty of stealing a music CD worth $17.99.

You continue....
Potential doesn't mean anything.
In this case potential means just as much as the potential in attempted murder.

When a lady plans to kill her husband but fails... NO murder has actually occurred but your not going to therefore argue that no crime has occurred are you?

Potential DOES mean something.

You continue....
And what do you mean - "most likely"? How do you know? Just because someone is willing to spend time and equipment (maybe pennies) to hear the CD does not mean they will "most likely" buy the CD if they were required to spend $17.99 on it! That's pure speculation you are relying on as the foundation of your case. "We can't be positive" is an understatement.
Its irrelevant whether the thief WOULD have bought the CD or not. We DO know that they stole the CD without paying for it.

When a teenage boy steals a candy bar from 7-11 we have no way of knowing if he would have bought the candy bar had he not stole it but its pretty clear that he stole it none the less.

The value of the candy bar is set by the company. The boy did not pay that value he took it for free - that is called stealing.

The value of the music CD is set by its manufacturers. The pirate does not pay the record company for distributing the music to the record companies potential customers - that is stealing!

Shouldn't people have the right to make products of whatever type and charge whatever price they wish to charge for those products?

You continue...
I can agree that the loss is not quantified. Can you agree that you are relying on unsubstantiated claims to make your argument?
No.

You continue...
Huh? I think the principle is valid. Can you admit that if a person where to try and copy a poster from Walmart they would merely be competition, not a piracy threat?
Of course not! How can you say that???

They would only be competition if they developed their OWN poster!!!

I am an artist. I make art for posters several times a year. My customer is the manufacturer of the poster. My customer pays me to make posters that people want. Then they pay the printer to produce the poster etc.

If a pirate copies our poster... he is stealing the money that my customer paid me to design the poster! The pirate is not paying an artist to create his poster he is taking our artwork for his poster without paying - that is called theft how can you argue otherwise???

You continue...
This is one of the reasons I like you Knight - this is a good argument.

Anyway. I guess this would be similar to a person who was expecting to make money off a translation of a manuscript. :)
No, not similar at all. The translator has an agreement with the copyright holder. There is certainly no comparison there.

Yet IF the translator did this on his own accord without permission then yes of course it would be theft.

You continue....
Now to answer your question: no, if we had good laws the manuscript would make good money for the author whether that money was made directly or indirectly by the book itself. This assumes the manuscript is a good book (and we know that applies to the manuscript in question *thumbs up*).

Consider something else - if the manuscript were available online as a PDF everywhere (and it was a popular download), then would you spend any money to make your own copies to sell it? No, you wouldn't - but you would be getting great advertising with almost no effort. So your advertising costs would be very low, and your printing costs would be 0 as well. So is there a potential to make a net profit from that tiny investment? Perhaps you can figure out an answer to that question. Be creative.
Two points....

A. How would the author ever make any money if his product were free. Where is the revenue stream?

B. This last argument of yours is not an argument that demonstrates piracy is not theft, but an argument of marketing strategy. Yes, if a company DESIRES to market their product for free that is their option but that is certainly a different argument all together.

QUESTION REVIEW:
Shouldn't people/companies have the right to make products of whatever type (*within reason) and charge whatever price they wish to charge for those products?

* I am not arguing that companies should have the right to sell illegal products i.e., drugs etc.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You ask...
I'm not being a wise-guy here, but the next question is to establish your position and to see if you understand the issues: if 1 million illegal copies are made, is the publisher's bank account now $17,990,000 in the red?
The companies bank account is in the red to the extent of their investment into the project.

You talk as if the record company was able to produce this music CD for nothing therefore no cost has been lost (hey that rhymed!)

Again...
A record company takes a gamble. They invest a certain amount of money into the the project to get the project produced using the strategy that it will eventually make a profit.

Lets say the record company wants to produce a record. They start by determining a budget for this project. They will have to pay the artists (songwriters, musicians, graphic artists etc.), they will have to pay the production staff, studio time, marketing and then finally production costs (CD replication and so on), distributing etc.

Their initial investment could be HUGE!!! And at this point the record companies bank account really is in the red the amount of the investment into the project. The company has spent REAL money gambling that the project will pay off based on marketing analysis of POTENTIAL customers!

Pirates steal REAL investment money from companies by giving away the product that cost the record company REAL money to produce.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yorzhik takes one on the chin!

Will he survive?

Stay tuned, Yorzhik will be out of town through Monday.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Quantified loss of a potential? You call that quantifying?

Of course... don't you???

Of course not. Why would you? I'm wondering if you notice that if you put "potential" into a sentence, an absolute quantification is impossible. You are going to have to clear up your statement because "potential" (which means possible/maybe/perhaps) precludes quantifying.

Now, don't think I'm trying to argue gnats. I can think of a sentence that removes the word "potential" from the sentence and better represents your position.

When a company spends money on marketing they are spending money on "potential" business. When you stock a warehouse full of goods you are spending money (REAL money) on potential customers.

When a record company spends money producing a music CD they are spending that money based on the potential that they will make it back (and then some) on potential customers!

All investments are investments in potential.

Its pretty simple really...

The record company invests money into a product that they plan to sell for a predetermined price.

Therefore the record company has basically invested REAL money into a product that they will sell to the public. The record company is saying to their potential customers... we have a product that we will make available for you and you can buy it for "x" amount of dollars.

The pirate says...
You don't need to pay the record company for this product for I have copied it and I will give it to you for free.

All the above sounds rational except the "for free" part. Everything costs money, even if it's pennies, or very little money. It's okay that Copyrights are not mentioned since this section is all in context. But let's try this with REAL property:

"The shirt company invests money into a product that they plan to sell for a predetermined price.

Therefore the shirt company has basically invested REAL money into a product that they will sell to the public. The shirt company is saying to their potential customers... we have a product that we will make available for you and you can buy it for "x" amount of dollars.

The pirate says...
You don't need to pay the shirt company for this product for I have copied it and I will give it to you for [very little]."

BUT WAIT - the fashion industry doesn't have Copyright protection. If I copy a shirt (the shirt, not the words or logos) there is no pirate it's just competition. The above makes no sense when we use *real* property. And using your next statement:

A theft has occurred. The product worth "x" has been given to a potential customer for free instead of "x" amount of dollars. the record company has just lost a portion of their investment.

I have yet to see you make an argument that demonstrates otherwise

Well now. Your above quote only makes sense for the contrived world of copyrights. A shirt company has NO right to collect money from *potential* customers that bought the competition's shirt. This argument demonstrates clearly that potential customers mean nothing when it comes to the right to collect money from such customers! The shirt company may lose their investment - but the potential customers didn't steal anything.

Oh, one more thing, who actually owes the money? The person who offers the CD copy? Or the person who takes a copy? If a person offers to make a copy of a CD for you (or put it in his Napster share folder for you), but you refuse it, has any copyright violation taken place? If you accept the copy, who is in violation - you or the person who offered the copy? Who owes the money, and how much should whoever-that-is pay?

The money lost is the retail price of the item stolen. In this case $17.99 or whatever the CD was priced at times the amount it was distributed.

If you were talking about a candy-bar that some kid shoplifted in a store, then the above statement would make perfect sense. But if instead of shoplifting, the kid gets a copy of the candy-bar from a friend who makes candy-bars "just like Snickers" in his kitchen - would the above statement apply? No it wouldn't. The copyright situation is the same - a copy is not the item.

Can you admit that your statement should at least be re-written for clarity? At least you have to admit that no "item" was stolen, right?

I am not making an argument for the value of the stolen item increasing. Only for the amount of the item at retail.

Your example only bolsters my point in that the thief is guilty of stealing a VCR worth $100 just as the pirate is guilty of stealing a music CD worth $17.99.

Let's go over this again Your word's described the situation thusly "to some extent", "most likely", "We can't be positive", and "potential". These words are what we say when we are not sure. If you can't be sure if the person would have bought the CD at $17.99, then you cannot say what the alleged pirate actually owes $17.99 for lost potential because the potential never actually existed. The actual potential has to be there, not a phantom potential. If the person would never have bought the CD at $17.99, then they are not a *real potential customer*.

That is why my analogy applies. A particular VCR, in reality, has the potential to be a museum piece worth much more than it's original selling price. Why can't the judge apply the potential cost in a ruling? You say that the judge must apply the *potential* cost to copyright offenses.

Perhaps I should pause to mention that I realize the law says a copyright offender owes $17.99 for every unauthorized copy. I'm saying the law is wrong, that reality dictates that the only potential customers are the customers that would have purchased the CD at retail price.

In this case potential means just as much as the potential in attempted murder.

When a lady plans to kill her husband but fails... NO murder has actually occurred but your not going to therefore argue that no crime has occurred are you?

Potential DOES mean something.

No, potential doesn't mean the same as potential to murder. Here's why: the alleged pirate did not attempt to buy the CD at $17.99.

Potential in this case is the same as potential customers in any business. That happens to be just about anyone you are marketing to.

Its irrelevant whether the thief WOULD have bought the CD or not. We DO know that they stole the CD without paying for it.

No. It is not irrelevant. It is the only thing relevant. If it were true that every potential customer owes the CD publisher $17.99, then that would include many people that didn't violate copyright law, but didn't buy the CD anyway. For example, if someone buys the CD for $17.99, and gives it to a friend (for keeps) instead of that friend buying that CD, then one or the other owes the publisher $17.99 in your copyright world. Why? Because the friend WAS a potential customer that was *stolen* by a generous friend. Really, he was going to buy the CD, but it was given to him instead. The friend was absolutely much more a potential customer than almost anyone who picks up the CD on Napster. There are many more examples where a person does not violate copyright law but is as much or more a potential customer than a person who gets a copy of the CD via Napster.

Why do I bring this up? Because you keep saying that the reason a person owes the $17.99 is because they are potential customers that were stolen from the publisher (at least I hope you are since that is the only rational defense for copyright). You say that a publisher is owed $17.99 because a customer "would have purchased" the CD had they not gotten a copy of it off of Napster. But if all potential customers owe the publisher $17.99, then you are including many people that haven't violated any copyright laws. You are including any customer stolen by, oh, perhaps a well meaning CD store employee that arranged the CD's in an pattern that a customer thought was stupid - but would have purchased the CD had it not been arranged that way. Or perhaps a competing publisher makes a snazzy cover and STEALS a customer from the publisher with neat cover art.

That's why I say potential means nothing. What matters is reality. And the reality of copyright violation is that it is nothing more than competition.

When a teenage boy steals a candy bar from 7-11 we have no way of knowing if he would have bought the candy bar had he not stole it but its pretty clear that he stole it none the less.

The value of the candy bar is set by the company. The boy did not pay that value he took it for free - that is called stealing.

Oops - here is the above sentence, as you should have written it had you followed your own view of copyright:

"When a teenage boy makes a copy of a candy-bar in his kitchen that he saw at 7-11 we have no way of knowing if he would have bought the candy-bar had he not made a copy, but it's pretty clear that he stole it none the less.

The value of the candy bar is set by the company. The boy did not pay that value he copied it for free [very little] - that is called stealing."

Your story does not reflect what is going on with copyright, mine does.

Don't forget - there isn't a physical object actually missing - it is a copy.

The value of the music CD is set by its manufacturers. The pirate does not pay the record company for distributing the music to the record companies potential customers - that is stealing!

No, that would be copyright violation. Nothing is actually stolen.

Shouldn't people have the right to make products of whatever type and charge whatever price they wish to charge for those products?

Sure. And someone who buys a CD product should be able to make a copy of their CD product to produce a facsimile product and charge whatever they want for that facsimile product. Why shouldn't they be able to do with what they own whatever they want? If you own a shirt, and your friend would like that shirt, and you are good at sewing, shouldn't you be able to make a copy of that shirt and give it to your friend if you like? How is stealing your friend as a possible shirt customer any different from stealing a customer who likes the same music as you?

What could possibly stop you from making a copy of what you own and doing with it what you want?

Huh? I think the principle is valid. Can you admit that if a person where to try and copy a poster from Walmart they would merely be competition, not a piracy threat?
Of course not! How can you say that???

Because no one can actually do it! We don't have copyright problems with posters because it isn't *economically* feasible, not because people wouldn't put posters on Napster if they could.

If a pirate copies our poster... he is stealing the money that my customer paid me to design the poster! The pirate is not paying an artist to create his poster he is taking our artwork for his poster without paying - that is called theft how can you argue otherwise???

Because you are stuck in a world where copyright is the only option to survive in the arena of ideas (I am too, but I don't say it is right). Thus you cannot understand that nothing is stolen if something copied. The poster copier didn't steal any money your customer paid to design the poster. If that were true then either your bank account or your customer's would be less the amount that was paid to design the poster. When a thief goes into a bank and takes the cash out of the vault that is your money - that is stealing.

When your poster doesn't sell because it doesn't appeal to anyone - who stole the money then? Why is copying stealing according to you, and failure to beat the competition not?

Anyway. I guess this would be similar to a person who was expecting to make money off a translation of a manuscript
No, not similar at all. The translator has an agreement with the copyright holder. There is certainly no comparison there.

Huh? When I made this statement I wasn't answering the question, (which is why the next line was "Now to answer your question"). I said this because I know someone who is translating a manuscript, and just like the author, will copyright the translation and sell it for a profit. Wouldn't the person who is translating the manuscript want as much copy protection as the original author? (It's a rhetorical question) That is all I was saying.

A. How would the author ever make any money if his product were free. Where is the revenue stream?

Aren't you even going to try? Be creative.

B. This last argument of yours is not an argument that demonstrates piracy is not theft, but an argument of marketing strategy. Yes, if a company DESIRES to market their product for free that is their option but that is certainly a different argument all together.

No, I'm demonstrating that ideas and property are NOT the same. You must first justify why you are treating ideas the same as real property BEFORE you impose laws that try to skew reality. We can list the differences.

QUESTION REVIEW:
Shouldn't people/companies have the right to make products of whatever type (*within reason) and charge whatever price they wish to charge for those products?

Sure. And someone who buys a CD product should be able to make a copy of their CD product to produce a facsimile product and charge whatever they want for that facsimile product. Why shouldn't they be able to do with what they own whatever they want? If you own a shirt, and your friend would like that shirt, and you are good at sewing, shouldn't you be able to make a copy of that shirt and give it to your friend if you like?

QUESTION REVIEW:
What could possibly stop you from making a copy of what you own and doing with it what you want?

Who owes the money between the copyer and the copyee, and how much should whoever-that-is pay?

FOUNDATIONAL QUESTION (it's all one question really - answer 1 and you've answered them all):
If physical property could be copied like ideas, would our property laws be the same? Would we even have property laws? Why are property laws the way they are?

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The companies bank account is in the red to the extent of their investment into the project.

And how do you separate any bank account in the red that stays red because of copyright violations and bank accounts that stay in the red because they get beat by the competition?

Isn't the competition stealing customers just like copyright violators? Does the competition owe money to the company they beat?

You talk as if the record company was able to produce this music CD for nothing therefore no cost has been lost
(hey that rhymed!)

Again...
A record company takes a gamble. They invest a certain amount of money into the the project to get the project produced using the strategy that it will eventually make a profit.

Lets say the record company wants to produce a record. They start by determining a budget for this project. They will have to pay the artists (songwriters, musicians, graphic artists etc.), they will have to pay the production staff, studio time, marketing and then finally production costs (CD replication and so on), distributing etc.

Their initial investment could be HUGE!!! And at this point the record companies bank account really is in the red the amount of the investment into the project. The company has spent REAL money gambling that the project will pay off based on marketing analysis of POTENTIAL customers!

Pirates steal REAL investment money from companies by giving away the product that cost the record company REAL money to produce.

How does the fashion industry survive? They don't get copy protection. They can make investments and get returns based on their market reality. If publishers had to do the same thing, they would. The economics would change, not disappear.

ddevonb

While it is difficult to exactly quantify the loss, the fact that someone gives or takes something that doesn't belong to them... causes a loss.
While I don't have the statistical data to exactly figure how large that loss is, there can be no reasonable argument that no loss exists.
Giving away or taking copies reduces the income of the artists, writers and music companies who have either created the product or paid for the rights to distribute that product.
Your comparison to the fashion industry just doesn't fly.
You can't put a shirt into a copy machine and spit out another shirt. You might manufacture a look-a-like shirt, but it's not the same as the original. You have to totally manufacture it from scratch just as the original was. You also can't give them away for free... not and stay in business.
Selling these shirts is competition based on who does it best.
With a musical creation, or publication, etc copyright law serves society by encouraging creative arts.
If anyone is permitted to give away my songs, then I have no leverage to give them any value at all. If everyone who wants one can get it for free, It is now impossible for me to make money writing or recording songs.
As an artist I am being paid per unit sold per contract with the record company. The record company pays me because I agree to let them sell my songs and attempt to make a profit.
Copyright laws exist to enable me enter into this kind of contract to be rewarded for my creation and to create a fair market for my creation.
Without copyright laws I cannot create a market for a product that everyone can get for free. Even if many can get it for free that severely limits my ability to be rewarded for creation.
For anyone to distribute my music without permission is stealing and anyone who receives it is receiving stolen goods.
Now to the amount of the theft... It is not a theft of the retail amount. It is a theft of the amount money that the artist, songwriter, publishing company and record company would have profited from each sale. You are not stealing from the stores.
Stores only exist as a means for the music companies to distribute their product, but they eventually will no longer needed as the music companies find new ways to distribute their product....$.99 online.
As to quantifying the theft... that's only relevant for making restitution. But theft is theft, regardless of the amount stolen.
As a society, we decided long ago that copyrights, patents, trademarks, etc are necessary to foster creative innovation.
It is that kind of innovation that has made America the most properous and most powerful country in the world.
Only I have the right of control of my intellectual property rights. When I sign a recording contract I agree to partner with the music company to distibute my product. I agree that anyone who pays for the music gets it.
While they may me ignorant of the fact... any retail customer who buys a product with a copyright is agreeing to a contract. They are bound by that contract not to distribute the product. You can sell it or you can give it away, but that only applies to the original. You may not keep one copy and give away or sell another.
By the way, you can't steal customers because they are free agents. They never belonged to anyone.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
While it is difficult to exactly quantify the loss, the fact that someone gives or takes something that doesn't belong to them... causes a loss.

If you can't quantify it, why do you say there is a loss?

While I don't have the statistical data to exactly figure how large that loss is, there can be no reasonable argument that no loss exists.

The size of the loss is 0. I have just figured it for you. Do you have any stats that say my calculation is incorrect?

Giving away or taking copies reduces the income of the artists, writers and music companies who have either created the product or paid for the rights to distribute that product.

Are you sure? There isn't any data to back that up in a Napster economy. However, it still wouldn't mean anything unless there were an infrastructure that allowed profit without copyrights in the law.

Your comparison to the fashion industry just doesn't fly.
You can't put a shirt into a copy machine and spit out another shirt. You might manufacture a look-a-like shirt, but it's not the same as the original. You have to totally manufacture it from scratch just as the original was.

Just because you cannot copy a shirt in a copy machine doesn't mean you can't copy the shirt. If you sew a copy - it's still a copy! My comparison stands.

You also can't give them away for free... not and stay in business.

And you can't give away music for free either; there is still a cost involved. My comparison stands.

Selling these shirts is competition based on who does it best.

So is music. My comparison stands.

With a musical creation, or publication, etc copyright law serves society by encouraging creative arts.

Sure about that? Have you ever lived in an economy where there were no copyrights? How do you know in what environment creative arts will be more creative? Here's a hint: We have recorded in history times and places where copyrights were not in the law. Don't comment on what I've just said until you have learned at least a sketch of what happened in those cases.

If anyone is permitted to give away my songs, then I have no leverage to give them any value at all. If everyone who wants one can get it for free, It is now impossible for me to make money writing or recording songs.

You'll have to be more creative, I'd guess.

As an artist I am being paid per unit sold per contract with the record company. The record company pays me because I agree to let them sell my songs and attempt to make a profit.

Copyright laws exist to enable me enter into this kind of contract to be rewarded for my creation and to create a fair market for my creation.

Copyright laws enable you to make this kind of contract? You are incorrect. Contracts can be written to agree to just about anything regardless if copyright law exists or not.

Without copyright laws I cannot create a market for a product that everyone can get for free. Even if many can get it for free that severely limits my ability to be rewarded for creation.

Perhaps everyone reading should please take a note and paste it to their monitor:

"YOU CANNOT COPY MUSIC FOR FREE. THERE IS ALWAYS A COST INVOLVED."

That being said, do you know of any artists who can show you they lost their market because their music was a popular download? Do a little research and see if you can find artists who *created* a market by getting their music on the Napsters of the world.

For anyone to distribute my music without permission is stealing and anyone who receives it is receiving stolen goods.

What is being stolen?

Now to the amount of the theft... It is not a theft of the retail amount. It is a theft of the amount money that the artist, songwriter, publishing company and record company would have profited from each sale. You are not stealing from the stores.

WHOA THERE NELLY!

I like you! I never thought of this, but you are wrong! If a sale was "stolen" from the music writer and the publisher - it *must* have been stolen from some music outlet as well. Or are you saying the store doesn't pay for inventory?

Your mission, if you chose to accept it, is to give the store that was stolen from (and not the stores there were not stolen from because that would be unjust) their money. Your argument will explode in 5 seconds.

Stores only exist as a means for the music companies to distribute their product, but they eventually will no longer needed as the music companies find new ways to distribute their product....$.99 online.

So what. Until stores are replaced by $.99 online they are owed the money from stolen music.

As to quantifying the theft... that's only relevant for making restitution. But theft is theft, regardless of the amount stolen.

Yeah. Quantifying is relevant for restitution. If you cannot quantify, you cannot be just about restitution. If you cannot quantify - you cannot even be sure a theft has taken place.

I'll quantify it for you. A theft took place and the quantified amount is $0 stolen. Show me some numbers that quantify a number more accurate number if you can.

As a society, we decided long ago that copyrights, patents, trademarks, etc are necessary to foster creative innovation.

It is that kind of innovation that has made America the most properous and most powerful country in the world.

Since you have never lived in an economy that didn't have copyrights/patents, nor studied the examples in history where copyrights/patents did not apply, you cannot be sure our country would not have been more prosperous without copyrights/patents.

Only I have the right of control of my intellectual property rights. When I sign a recording contract I agree to partner with the music company to distibute my product. I agree that anyone who pays for the music gets it.

Intellectual property is a misnomer. There is no such thing. Since the attributes of property and ideas are so different, you cannot say they are the same. Here is the chief difference: real property is scarce (as an economist would define the word "scarce") and ideas are not scarce.

Justify your answer in the affirmative to the next question, and you can start calling ideas property:

If physical property could be copied like ideas, would our property laws be the same? Would we even have property laws?

If you don't know how to justify your answer to the above, then find the correct answer to this question:

Why are property laws the way they are?

While they may me ignorant of the fact... any retail customer who buys a product with a copyright is agreeing to a contract.

They are bound by that contract not to distribute the product. You can sell it or you can give it away, but that only applies to the original. You may not keep one copy and give away or sell another.

HA! Implied contracts are so weak, that anyone who uses them in business will be out of business in a short time. The only reason the music industry stays in business is because our justice system is just-a-system.

By the way, you can't steal customers because they are free agents. They never belonged to anyone.

Ouch, you just ruined your best defense. What is being stolen if not potential customers?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The topic of contracts has come up. My comments have been confined to saying that copyrights are implied instead of expressed contracts.

The difference between expressed and implied contracts is important, and the weakness of implied contracts should be a serious consideration to anyone who supports copyright law.

Can anyone tell the difference between implied and expressed contracts? Does anyone know why implied contracts are never used in business?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I asked... "Shouldn't people/companies have the right to make products of whatever type (*within reason) and charge whatever price they wish to charge for those products?"

And you answered...
Sure. And someone who buys a CD product should be able to make a copy of their CD product to produce a facsimile product and charge whatever they want for that facsimile product. Why shouldn't they be able to do with what they own whatever they want? If you own a shirt, and your friend would like that shirt, and you are good at sewing, shouldn't you be able to make a copy of that shirt and give it to your friend if you like?
I am glad I asked that question and your answer highlights your obvious misunderstanding of this issue.

You fail to make the correct distinction regarding digital goods. Your correct when you state that if a company wants to create a similar shirt that another company is already producing they have every right to do so. But the similar shirt is entirely different from the problem of piracy.

You see....... with piracy the product being redistributed is not just a reasonable facsimile of the initial product it IS the product in every way. A digital copy of a song.... IS the song.

The movie Armageddon was a reasonable facsimile of the movie Deep Impact, the movie Volcano was a reasonable facsimile of the movie Dante's Peak.... these are examples of good ol' competition with no moral laws being broken unless you want to count lousy movie making in the case of Volcano and Armageddon :D . Yet, if a company or individual made digital copies of any of these movies and distributed them via DVD or electronically over the internet they aren't competing with the original producers they are STEALING the original producers content directly!

Lets highlight this even further. Using your comparison of the shirt maker we could also claim (and rightly so) that it would be OK for a music group to create a similar recording of a popular music style and therefore create competition. Yet with music piracy this isn't what is happening at all! With music piracy its the actual product that is being redistributed, NOT a facsimile of the product.

Will you Yorzhik admit that there is a distinction to be made regarding competing similar products AND exact copies of actual products - specifically digital goods.

Asked another way....

Is there a distinction to be made in following two examples:

EXAMPLE 1:
Company A produces and markets a popular selling Britney Spears T-Shirt. Company B produces and markets a similar Britney Spears shirt to compete with company A.

EXAMPLE 2:
Company A produces and markets a popular selling Britney Spears music CD. Company B does not produce a similar sounding CD but instead makes a digital copy of Company A's product and markets it.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yorzhik gets a break from the chin shots and body blows! Does this opening give him a chance to take the offense?

You fail to make the correct distinction regarding digital goods.

Your correct when you state that if a company wants to create a similar shirt that another company is already producing they have every right to do so. But the similar shirt is entirely different from the problem of piracy.

You see....... with piracy the product being redistributed is not just a reasonable facsimile of the initial product it IS the product in every way. A digital copy of a song.... IS the song.

The shirt is so exact that if I take the tags off, you cannot tell the difference between the copy and the original. That would be identical to copying a song. Why do you think it is different? A copy of a song is still a copy, not the original. Even if you can't tell the difference between the copy and the original of a song, they are still not the same. If that were so, then a pirate could say, "this isn't a copy, this is the original". Because you are saying the copy would be the original. From wence does the idea come that the copy and the original are the same?

Okay. Now hopefully we can get to the foundation of the issue. If the copy of the song IS the original of the song, that violates the laws of physics. You see, the same object cannot be in 2 places at the same time. How can songs violate the laws of physics but shirts cannot?

You have forgotten why YOU say copyrights exist. You say, “copyrights exist because if copies are made then a customer who would *buy* a copy is removed from the buying pool and the artists starves.� But you fail to realize that if a copy of a shirt is made that the exact same situation occurs. The person that was going to buy the shirt does not and the shirt maker starves. There is no difference. Your distinction between a digital copy and an exact copy is contrived.

Knight continues:
Is there a distinction to be made in following two examples:

EXAMPLE 1:
Company A produces and markets a popular selling Britney Spears T-Shirt. Company B produces and markets a similar Britney Spears shirt to compete with company A.

Gee, if you misstate the argument, I guess the answer is 'yes'. The following more accurately represents the argument:

EXAMPLE 1:
Company A produces and markets a popular selling Britney Spears T-Shirt. Company B produces and markets an exact copy of the Britney Spears shirt to compete with company A. Company B sells the shirt for pennies, while Company A sells the shirt for $17.99.

EXAMPLE 2:
Company A produces and markets a popular selling Britney Spears music CD. Company B does not produce a similar sounding CD but instead makes a digital copy of Company A's product and markets it.

Then the answer is 'no'. Wouldn't you agree? I realize that in EXAMPLE 2 that Co. B is doing something against current laws. I would assume you realize I'm answering the question based on correct law.

QUESTION REVIEW:

Who owes the money between the copyer and the copyee, and how much should whoever-that-is pay?

FOUNDATIONAL QUESTION (it's all one question really - answer 1 and you've answered them all):
If physical property could be copied like ideas, would our property laws be the same? Would we even have property laws? Why are property laws the way they are?

P.S. you did read my response on the translation issue, didn't you?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Yorzhik
Yorzhik gets a break from the chin shots and body blows! Does this opening give him a chance to take the offense?

The shirt is so exact that if I take the tags off, you cannot tell the difference between the copy and the original. That would be identical to copying a song. Why do you think it is different?
Yorzhik are you serious? I know for a fact that your smart guy but you are either being intentionally obtuse on this issue (because you don't want to see an argument that you have invested so much time in crash and burn) OR... you really don't know the difference between a ACTUAL copy of a product and a SIMILARLY designed product.

My guess is that just about everyone reading this thread understands this difference and are baffled that you seem to be missing it.

You continue...
A copy of a song is still a copy, not the original. Even if you can't tell the difference between the copy and the original of a song, they are still not the same. If that were so, then a pirate could say, "this isn't a copy, this is the original". Because you are saying the copy would be the original. From wence does the idea come that the copy and the original are the same?
A copied song IS the song!

Think of it this way...

When a recording company records a song in the studio the recording is a COPY of the original performance (it would be cost prohibitive to have the artist perform the song EVERY SINGLE time someone wanted to hear the song:D )

Then the recording company takes that recording (a copy) and makes a master glass CD of the recording (copy #2)

THEN....
The master glass CD is replicated millions of times (copy #3) and sold in stores etc.

So the the CD you purchase in stores is at very least a 3rd generation COPY of the original performance.

In light of this can you really continue to make your weak argument that copies are different than the original product and therefore not subject to laws regarding theft?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Freak
No. I saw his white flag waving....:D
Oh... good!

Although I don't expect to see any white flags waving I sense a major investment into this argument and that can cause serious clouding of obvious judgment.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yorzhik are you serious?

Yes, of course I'm serious. I have good reasons to be so.

I know for a fact that your smart guy but you are either being intentionally obtuse on this issue (because you don't want to see an argument that you have invested so much time in crash and burn)

Well, actually, I used to have a lot invested in the promote-copyrights world because I thought that was capitalism. It has taken quite some time and soul searching to finally let go of copyrights and patents. So, no, if you want to weigh what I have invested in either position over my lifetime then copyrights/patents would have the greater weight.

Since I'm not being intentionally obtuse because of my time investment, perhaps you should consider your own investment and whether it is creating a bias that clouds the issue.

OR... you really don't know the difference between a ACTUAL copy of a product and a SIMILARLY designed product.

So if I make a copy of a shirt it isn't an ACTUAL copy? We're both speaking English, right?

Here is the definition of ACTUAL: Existing, and not merely potential or possible.

Or are you trying to say that if I make a shirt with the same color, cut, and fabric as another one - it isn't a copy that exists?

Here is the definition of COPY: An imitation or reproduction of an original; a duplicate

And you accuse me of being obtuse? Look, I don't mean "similar design" when I say "copy". By copy I mean making a separate object from an original object that tries to be as much like the original as possible.

If I have a leather strings for shoe laces. One gets broken so I make a copy of the non-broken one. I won't use nylon because although similar in design it would not be considered a copy if I can just as easily use leather. Was that too obtuse? If it was, can you explain how it is being obtuse?

My guess is that just about everyone reading this thread understands this difference and are baffled that you seem to be missing it.

A company owner calls in has manager because he sees the uniform shirts are getting old. He loves the design and wants to keep it.

Owner: We need to get more of our uniform shirts
Manager: Just like this one? (he pulls at the shirt he is wearing)
Owner: Yes, just like that one
Manager: We have a new uniform supplier in town, they have this shirt available
Owner: Is it exactly the same? Or do they change it somehow?
Manager: I don't know, the catalog shows it as similar in design, if not the same
Owner: Don't spend time on the new supplier, just go to the old supplier and get the same shirt as the one you have on now.

One week later

Manager: Here is what the new shirt looks like
Owner: This looks old. Where did you get this?
Manager: I took a shirt from the lot we are getting from our uniform supplier. I'm having them make the shirts "just like the one I was wearing"
Owner: You mean all this wear, the holes and stains, have been placed on this shirt intentionally within the last week?
Manager: Of course, you only told me within the last week. That's why I only have 1 shirt from the lot so far. It is not easy to make these shirts.
Owner: Stop making exact copies of the shirt you were wearing! I want *new* shirts the same as the shirts we already have!
Manager: Oh. I'll get them to stop making copies of the old shirt then and get new shirts. However, it will still take some time because the new shirts are coming with a double stitch on the pocket now. The single stitch on the pocket was discontinued because it wasn't strong enough. So to make them the same
Owner: NO - the double stitch design is similar enough.

Moral of the story - you can copy anything, even shirts. You can also make a similar design of anything, even shirts. A *copy* and a *similar design* are not the same. When I speak of a copy, I mean a copy - not a similar design. They are not the same. I hope this clears all the bafflement out there.

And the funny thing is, it doesn't matter. The reason for copyright is to stop other people that do not have copyright from stealing money that customers would give to those that do have copyright.

If I make an exact copy of a shirt, and give that shirt to a friend who was going to buy the shirt, that is stealing the money that my friend was going to give the shirt maker. It is exactly the same. You've shown nothing otherwise that the principle should not apply in both cases according to your world view.

In light of this can you really continue to make your weak argument that copies are different than the original product and therefore not subject to laws regarding theft?

Okay. Have it your way. The copy is the original. So when Mr. Pirate goes before Judge Knight he can say, "no your honor, these are all the original, every one of them. It would be a weak argument for you to try and say these are copies that are different from the original. So dont get me for copy infringement when I have no copies."

The following is to help us think through this subject - I made an extra read of this thread just to see if there were any of your questions I didn't answer. Please let me know if there is something I'm not addressing.

QUESTION REVIEW:

Who owes the money between the copyer and the copyee, and how much should whoever-that-is pay? Who would they have to pay it to - does the store they would have most likely bought from get their just cut?

Are you ever going to get around to quantifying the loss? Why don't you take a real world example (there are a number of copyright infringement cases you can get info on) and show us how the loss should be quantified in a good justice system?

P.S. you did read my response on the translation issue, didn't you?

Last edited:

way 2 go

i agree with Yorzhik :thumb:
its not stealing its copying . see knock offs all the time in other industries
just cause its a new way of copying dosn't mean its stealing

Painter recreates the mona lisa is he stealing ?people making prints of it & making money are they stealing?

Elvis .he's dead hes not getting paid for his thoughts anymore and people make money pretending to be him .no theft there.
Artist doing dead people "cover" tunes

if you stole the cd from the store thats theft . copying off of the radio, satellite or napster isn't stealing .(it is against the bad laws we have)

you can't own thoughts made public . you might like to think you can
and they have laws that say you should be able to .
dosn't make it true or right

jesus wanted to pay everyone the same amount no matter how many hours they worked .
dosn't seem FAIR that he was generous to some and not to the others but he was right

and thats what this is about FAIR .sometimes lifes unfair . this copying thing violates our sense of fairness
but it's not wrong

what if at some point someone copyrighted the bible for the purpose of
stopping people from reading it . would that be right ? to keep to themselves
then if people made copies of it . would that be wrong .
(protestant reformation) sort of)

note : microsoft violates copyright law to make there system better and gets fined 500mil & makes money from what they did
teen downloads gigabytes of music the want him to pay trillions and he didn't make anything from what he did :kookoo:

conclusion : copyright law or the dmca is bad joke fueled by greed

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
you can't own thoughts made public . you might like to think you can
and they have laws that say you should be able to .
dosn't make it true or right

Here I put in pages of text, and here is the truth in a nutshell.

Why? Just answer these questions as a start:
QUESTION REVIEW:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by way 2 go
i agree with Yorzhik :thumb:
its not stealing its copying . see knock offs all the time in other industries just cause its a new way of copying dosn't mean its stealing.

First of all, welcome to TOL.

"Knock-off" in other industries are also stealing. Just because the government allows it, doesn't make it moral.

Painter recreates the mona lisa is he stealing ?people making prints of it & making money are they stealing?
You can't steal from a dead man. LEONARDO da Vinci is dead. The musicians you are stealing from are alive. Apples and oranges.

Elvis .he's dead hes not getting paid for his thoughts anymore and people make money pretending to be him .no theft there. Artist doing dead people "cover" tunes
Once again, you can't steal from a dead man. You are stealing from people who are still alive.

if you stole the cd from the store thats theft . copying off of the radio, satellite or napster isn't stealing .(it is against the bad laws we have)
Recording from the radio isn't theft because it's a poor quality copy, therefore a different product. But recording digital music from the internet is the exact quality of sound you could purchase from a record store, therefore it is theft.

you can't own thoughts made public . you might like to think you can and they have laws that say you should be able to . dosn't make it true or right
Why not?

jesus wanted to pay everyone the same amount no matter how many hours they worked . dosn't seem FAIR that he was generous to some and not to the others but he was right

and thats what this is about FAIR .sometimes lifes unfair . this copying thing violates our sense of fairness but it's not wrong
This section of scripture does not apply to this topic. Would someone be right to accuse you of being a child-molester? That wouldn't be "fair." Would that person be just in pointing to this section of scriputure you quoted as his justification? You keep comparing apples to oranges. Please think clearly.

what if at some point someone copyrighted the bible for the purpose of stopping people from reading it . would that be right ? to keep to themselves then if people made copies of it . would that be wrong . (protestant reformation) sort of)
If they wanted "to keep to themselves" the translation they made, there would be no reason to copywrite it. All they would have to do is translate it and then read it whenever they wanted to. If they didn't want anyone else to read it then all they would have to do is keep that copy in their homes. They could lock it in a safe in their house if they wanted to. What would be the point in copywriting it?

note : microsoft violates copyright law to make there system better and gets fined 500mil & makes money from what they did
Microsoft is immoral for doing that. Their fine is just.

teen downloads gigabytes of music the want him to pay trillions and he didn't make anything from what he did :kookoo:
Microsoft benefits by violating copyright law by reselling. If they didn't resell, there would be no benefit to Microsoft and therefore, no fine. By the same token, you are benefiting from enjoying music you download free. You don't need to resell it in order to benefit from it. If you benefit from something someone else produced, you should have to pay for it.

conclusion : copyright law or the dmca is bad joke fueled by greed
You are the greedy one. You won't let go of your money to those whose products you are stealing.

Jason Thomas

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Being stolen from

Being stolen from

"i agree with Yorzhik"

Well, if you were the person who painstakingly produced a product that is your livelihood and others are downloading it for free chances are you would change your ‘tune’. As Jesus would say, the workman deserves his wages. If you were the person to produce a recording would you want people downloading it for free when the money you get from the recording is paying for your livelihood? I think not.

This is a sore subject with me as I was a professional musical entertainer for about 12 years. I have my own digital recording studio when I feel inspired to use it and go over a song, what seems like, thousands of times multi-tracking and polishing it until I am sick of hearing the recording. Not very inspiring especially when I am not getting paid for my efforts.

So you just consider how you would feel if you go to work and find yourself getting paid nothing for your efforts because some people found a way to gain the efforts of your labors without paying for them.

If you rip others off you deserve to be ripped off. A simple law of the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.