Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by rasputen
In that one specific instance, I would knock you over.
So what's the difference between you and me? You would take a risk of offending me (by knocking me over) in an attempt to save a child's life.

Likewise, I take risks of offending others (by displaying my signs) in an attempt to save children's lives.

So what's the difference between us?

rasputen

So what's the difference between you and me? You would take a risk of offending me (by knocking me over) in an attempt to save a child's life.

First of all, I highly doubt you would be offended, because I saved a girl's life. Second, you STILL fail to see the importance of circumstances. In this particular instance, it is justifiable for me to bowl you over, because it has no relation to tact, and seemingly is unintentional (what would be gained by me intentionally tackling you, when my intent is to save a life?). Likewise, you do not evaluate circumstances in the protests. Offending and provoking me with silly photos has no justification because you CAN AVOID IT. It is not a necessity to use them to achieve your goal (which I've clearly shown can be achieved through logic), because it creates hostility, distances your audience, and in actuality PREVENTS the actualization of your goal. At CHS it certainly did. The circumstances you cite are not similar at all, and neither are we. One circumstance cites unintentional physical contact; the other cites wanton, aggressive mental and emotional provocation. Apples and oranges. If possible, I would avoid making physical contact with you (as it would in fact impede my progress towards the young girl), as you ought to avoid confronting students in such a manner, as it only impedes your progress in "saving" them. One cannot simply disregard circumstances and merely refer to a contrived, absolute standard. Different situations call for different measures, and these protestors fail to address this necessity appropriately.

rasputen

it is absolutely a criminal capitol offense

Do you understand how little sense that statement makes when you align yourself with a PRO-LIFE platform? Do you notice how being against abortion (pro-LIFE) and being in favor of the DEATH penalty somewhat contradict each other?

*NOTE: This goes to any and all with this opinion, as I've seen it cited several times on this thread.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
First of all, I highly doubt you would be offended, because I saved a girl's life.
You're right, I wouldn't be offended, and neither should you be offended by my actions because I am also trying to save childrens' lives.

Second, you STILL fail to see the importance of circumstances. In this particular instance, it is justifiable for me to bowl you over, because it has no relation to tact, and seemingly is unintentional (what would be gained by me intentionally tackling you, when my intent is to save a life?).
Who said anything about you "tackling" me? I'm talking about knocking me over because I'm in the way of your direct "B line" to the endangered child. And your stated willingness to knock me over is intentional. Of course it is. I'm in the way of your rescue attempt so naturally you make the correct decision to intentionally knock me over in order to get to the child as quickly as possible.

Likewise, you do not evaluate circumstances in the protests. Offending and provoking me with silly photos has no justification because you CAN AVOID IT. It is not a necessity to use them to achieve your goal (which I've clearly shown can be achieved through logic), because it creates hostility, distances your audience, and in actuality PREVENTS the actualization of your goal.
I disagree. I think photos are very effective as the link I previously provided with all those testimonies proves.
So they turned you off. Big deal. They have been proven to save lives. Get over it. Stop being so selfish. Lives are at stake and you are throwing a fit over being "disrespected." Grow up.

At CHS it certainly did.
With some of the students, yes. But all of them? How do you know? Have you interviewed every single student at CHS? If there is just one girl who decides not to abort her child sometime in the future because she now realizes what she would be doing to her baby, wouldn't the protest be worth it? I think that baby whose life is saved would answer with a very clear "yes."

The circumstances you cite are not similar at all, and neither are we.
Yes, the difference in degrees of selfishness between us is becoming apparent.

One circumstance cites unintentional physical contact; the other cites wanton, aggressive mental and emotional provocation.
As I've already shown, your physical contact is properly intentional. You don't accidently knock me over. You do it on purpose. And you have every right to. The child's life is way more important than me being temporarily "disrespected" by you.

Apples and oranges. If possible, I would avoid making physical contact with you (as it would in fact impede my progress towards the young girl), as you ought to avoid confronting students in such a manner, as it only impedes your progress in "saving" them. One cannot simply disregard circumstances and merely refer to a contrived, absolute standard. Different situations call for different measures, and these protestors fail to address this necessity appropriately.
Making physical contact with me may or may not impede your progress towards the child. There may be bushes on either side of me which would require you to run a much longer distance if you chose to run around me.

But let's say, just for the sake of argument that you are correct. Let's assume that a more effective way of rescuing the child would be to simply yell at the child to run or to run at the car waving your arms or to yell at me to grab the child since I am closer. If you made a bad decision by choosing to knock me over and the child was hit by the car and killed, I would still not hold it against you because you cared enough to try something instead of just selfishly refusing to involve yourself in such a stressful situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Orion wrote
...General statement for zakath, knight, etc. Is it even possible
for Rasputen or anyone else to make logical points that you will accept? Or are you so blindly rooted in your opinions that when your security is attacked you dig a hole of self-righteousness and jump right it? kind of childish. Rasputen has accepted your points and refuted them through logical arguments, and you resort to a rebuttal of "nuh-uh".

Orion,
You might not have noticed but I am not arguing against Rasputen on this thread...

rasputen

Jefferson, you make me giggle.

You're right, I wouldn't be offended, and neither should you be offended by my
I ought to clarify myself. It doesn't offend me that you try to save lives; it offends me that you have no regard for the opinions or well-being (whether it is mental or emotional) of others. You have no qualms about provoking hostility in your fellow man, and quite frankly, this bothers me.

Furthermore, you assume I want to knock you over. I don't wish to do physical harm to you; if possible, I would try to GO AROUND YOU. If that wasn't possible despite my efforts, this means I would have knocked you over by accident. Therefore, willingness is not present, as it is superceded by my willingness to save the child. I have in no way shape or form expressed a desire to do any type of harm to anyone in this thread (save my joke about running over the protestors...), whereas you nonchalantly DESIRE to do mental and emotional harm to others if it means you are being righteous in your own mind. We still are different, and I'd like you to reevaluate who is being the selfish one here. I'm not the one forcing my values onto others with the close minded belief that they are the absolute truth; I am the one who allows others to pursue their own well-being in their OWN WAY. J.S. Mill even dictates that people ought to seek knowledge so that they may seek their "own good in their own way." You disallow this choice, and thus contradict yourself.

Jefferson, I am not going to argue that making one's opinion known is ineffective; I understand that this is fundamental to the marketplace of ideas. However, your conduct within this marketplace is questionable. You cannot force people to "buy" your ideas via coercion or fear or some other form of harm; you must promote logic in such an arena. Truthfully my good man, you are the one who ought to "grow up." Stop childishly living by the phrase "I'm right, you're wrong, change your ideals now." You fail to acknowledge that you could very well interact logically with a more receptive audience, avoid confrontation, AND potentially save lives.

Yes, the difference in degrees of selfishness between us is becoming apparent.
A delightfully Jefferson-istic "nuh-uh." I applaud you. The fact that you must prove that you are "selfless" for your own personal satisfaction and gratification detracts from your credibility on the entire thread. Furthermore, you ought to be protesting in the interest of others, and not your own closed-minded ideal, which you clearly are not doing.
I applaud you for not holding my lack of prudence against me; as stated, I would not TRY to knock you over. Not only am I a scrawny, 5'8 18 year old, but I'm not physically confrontational. I can't stress enough that in any situation, I prefer to evaluate the circumstances and exercise reason to come to the best decision. If I can avoid hitting you AND save the child, then I will most certainly get at. This is the lack of reason that the protestors exhibit; they prefer to provoke hostility in promoting an allegedly moral end as opposed to taking the more beneficial road of a less confrontational dialogue. I would really implore any and all protestors to try this; I'll come debate with you in this instance, and I might even fight on your side. This is really my goal throughout my sarcasm and wry attempts at humor; give people credit. Convince them logically as to why you are right. If your standpoint is logically sound, you ought to have nothing to fear. I understand that some will be too stubborn or silly to listen when approached civilly; but you cannot be certain of the response until it is tested. I have had my own viewpoints changed, and have changed the viewpoints of my friends, through very friendly debate and dialogue. How funny... I'm protesting to change, well... protesting.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I ought to clarify myself. It doesn't offend me that you try to save lives; it offends me that you have no regard for the opinions or well-being (whether it is mental or emotional) of others.
You don't think babies in the womb qualify as one of the "others?" You don't think I have any regard for their well-being?

You have no qualms about provoking hostility in your fellow man, and quite frankly, this bothers me.
I have no qualms about provoking hostility in murderers. If pro-life people get hostile over my attempts to save innocent lives then they are the ones who need an attitude adjustment.

I've mentioned possible reasons why (so-called) pro-life people hate our signs. Here is another theory: If you go to school with people who disagree with you on abortion, there is no tension between you as long as abortion is discussed as just another issue among many like taxes or the national debt. But these pictures show that your fellow class-mates who are in favor of legalized abortion should be publicly shunned by you if you are pro-life. They might as well be in favor of the legalized killing of 5 year old children. What's the difference? This realization of the moral depravity of your fellow class-mates results in social tension that did not exist before the display of the signs. Therefore many pro-life people who are cowards at heart become way more irate at protesters than they do at abortionists who commit these murders.

Rasputen, I've seen the passionate anger that you have toward people like me. I'm curious, if you debated an abortionist "doctor" in an internet forum, what kind of emotions would you express toward him? I'll bet your anger towards a baby murderer would not be half of what it is towards me. Am I right about this?

Furthermore, you assume I want to knock you over. I don't wish to do physical harm to you; if possible, I would try to GO AROUND YOU. If that wasn't possible despite my efforts, this means I would have knocked you over by accident. Therefore, willingness is not present, as it is superceded by my willingness to save the child.
The true Christian lifestyle is unavoidably offensive. The gospel teaches that people are sinful and need to repent. It teaches that that they deserve Hell. That is offensive. Likewise our signs show pro-choice people that they have "chosen" legalized murder and that God is just for condemning them for that choice. That is also offensive. It is an intrinsic, unavoidable part of our message. Jesus was offensive. Most people were offended by him. The proof for John the Baptist that Jesus was the Christ was that the blind see, the lame walk and the majority are "offended" by Him (Matthew 11:2-19).

I have in no way shape or form expressed a desire to do any type of harm to anyone in this thread (save my joke about running over the protestors...),
Yeah, that was hysterical. :rolleyes:

whereas you nonchalantly DESIRE to do mental and emotional harm to others if it means you are being righteous in your own mind. We still are different, and I'd like you to reevaluate who is being the selfish one here. I'm not the one forcing my values onto others with the close minded belief that they are the absolute truth; I am the one who allows others to pursue their own well-being in their OWN WAY. J.S. Mill even dictates that people ought to seek knowledge so that they may seek their "own good in their own way." You disallow this choice, and thus contradict yourself.
Should the German citizens have let their fellow citizens who ran the concentration camps "pursue their own well-being in their own way?" Should the Christians who ran the underground railroads let slave owners "pursue their own well-being in their own way?"

Jefferson, I am not going to argue that making one's opinion known is ineffective; I understand that this is fundamental to the marketplace of ideas. However, your conduct within this marketplace is questionable. You cannot force people to "buy" your ideas via coercion or fear or some other form of harm; you must promote logic in such an arena. Truthfully my good man, you are the one who ought to "grow up." Stop childishly living by the phrase "I'm right, you're wrong, change your ideals now." You fail to acknowledge that you could very well interact logically with a more receptive audience, avoid confrontation, AND potentially save lives.
Why is it okay for TIME and NEWSWEEK magazines to display bloody photographs of war, terrorism and capital crimes right on their front covers? These pictures stare at us as we stand in line at the check-out counter in the grocery store.

Why is it okay for prosecutors to show bloody photographs to a jury? Can't they just use logic? Why is everyone in the world allowed to use photographs to make their point except pro-lifers?

Thief0Night

Is everyone a murderer?

Is everyone a murderer?

Jefferson, i got a question for you. It seems that in all you are saying that you think everyone are mueders. So do you in fact think that? And if so why dont you tell it to yourself because if i am a murderer then so are you pal.

Thief0Night

Jefferson you said

Why is it okay for prosecutors to show bloody photographs to a jury? Can't they just use logic? Why is everyone in the world allowed to use photographs to make their point except pro-lifers?

Well first off no one is being tried for a murder, and second off your telling it to the wrong crowd. Why dont you go to an abrotion clinic and do some good insted of pissing off a bunch of highschool students? Do you honostly think you made more diffence at a highschool? And just for the record not all that many girls get pregant at columbine or have aboritions. But i am going to guess since you seem to think you the school better then me (becuase i am just a student there and dont know anything) your goign to say other wise.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo
Then you violate your own standard by using the word “crime” to refer to something that was legal... How can a crime be legal?
Originally posted by Zakath
Because what is a "crime" and what is "legal" frequently vary from country to country. What is a crime in one country may not be so in another. Your belief in absolute right and wrong is not universal. Anyone reading a newspaper in the last year should see that...
But here’s what you actually wrote before, in context:
That illustration demonstrates the non-absolute nature of legal terms. Whether or not you agree morally with the actions in the camps (and let's be clear, I believe the killing of civilians in the camps was a terrible crime) the actions were seen as legal by the German government and illegal by their enemies.
Yes, let’s be clear. Clearly your parenthetical aside was about your moral belief that “the killing of civilians in the camps was a terrible crime.” Now you’re saying that you meant that the killing of civilians in the camps would have been a crime if it had happened someplace else? I don’t buy it. That’s not what you said. You were clarifying your personal belief, perhaps to avoid being accused of condoning the Holocaust. You wrote that according to your belief the legal killing was “a terrible crime.”

You accuse Knight of redefining words to suit his worldview when his definition is in the dictionary.
Yes, buried three defintions deep...
I went no deeper than you did. We each started with a dictionary definition of murder, and then defined one of the words in the definition (unlawful). I offered a complete dictionary entry for "unlawful." You did not. In your first post on this topic you stated:
Murder is, by definition, "The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice."

An action cannot be both legal and unlawful.
You offered a dictionary's definition of murder (unlawful killing), but then you asserted that unlawful must always mean illegal. I demonstrated that according to contemporary reference materials, “illegal” is one possible definition, and “immoral” is another possible definition. And when the word “murder” directly follows “legalized,” it’s no great mystery which definition the writer is using.
You remind me of a fellow we used to have in our home school support group who was intent on "perserving the language" by insisting on using only the 1928 Webster's dictionary since he didn't like the way the language had changed (and it fit better with his KJV Bible...)
Did this occur in the 1930s? The materials I cited were relatively recent. I can cite definitions from even newer publications if you want. How recent must they be to satisfy you? Have you looked up “unlawful” in your 2000 American Heritage Dictionary? Is there more than one definition?

This is why I called you a hypocrite:
For a group of people who spend inordinate amounts of time arguing about the meanings of words, I find your cavalier misuse of the language fascinating. I can think of only two likely possibilities:

It was a mistake or you are seeking to mislead people by misusing the language.
I similarly offered you the chance to simply say, “I was mistaken.” But you held your position, revealing that it is you who is trying to mislead people by misusing the language.

And finally, for the third time, the questions Zakath loves to dodge:
Do you object when people speak of the legalized slaughter of Jews during the Holocaust as murder? You state that you believe it was “a terrible crime.” What is that terrible crime called?
Have a good weekend!

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Turbo
...I offered a complete dictionary entry for "unlawful." You did not. In your first post on this topic you stated:You offered a dictionary's definition of murder (unlawful killing), but then you asserted that unlawful must always mean illegal. I demonstrated that according to contemporary reference materials, “illegal” is one possible definition, and “immoral” is another possible definition.
And since the discussion was about the "legality" of certain types of killing I was sticking to the topic and you wandered off into the subjetive maze of moralty.

You have a problem with that because you are trying to force your subjective view of morality on others under the false banner of "absolute morality." Christian morality is far from absolute. Your views of morality are not universally accepted as truth by Christians around the world.

Of course, the next line in the religionist script is to descend into a "No true Scotsman" fallacy.;)

Have you looked up “unlawful” in your 2000 American Heritage Dictionary? Is there more than one definition?

You asked for it, here it is:

Unlawful - noun
1. Not lawful; illegal.
2. Contrary to accepted morality or convention; illicit.
3, Of, relating to, or being a child or children born to unmarried parents.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Note that definition number 2 uses the term "accepted morality or convention". That hardly supports your absolutist view. History shows that what is accepted by one group of religionists is hardly universally accepted by all of mankind. Many of these moral positions are not even universally accepted by Christians. I've watched Christians picket on both sides of issues like abortion rights, just war, and capital punishment. You're standing on pretty weak ice here.

This is why I called you a hypocrite
Sticks and stones, Turbo. I don't believe in the "Word of Faith" teachings on the power of words. ;)

It's a free country. Your persistence in using the term reminds me of an old quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln: "You can call a horse's tail a leg, but that don't make it one." Keep hawking your snake oil. I'm sure any number of people here will buy it.

Sage

Originally posted by Jefferson Should the German citizens have let their fellow citizens who ran the concentration camps "pursue their own well-being in their own way?" Should the Christians who ran the underground railroads let slave owners "pursue their own well-being in their own way?"

I am not going to get to much into this debate but i would like to answer this question for rasputen (who i do know): Well as mentioned in the preceding post by rasputen he speaks of John Stuart Mill. The questions posed above are answered by Mill in his "Harms Principle". It basically states that in soviety one person's right extends only as far as it infringes on another person's right, Basically, my right to punch goes only as far as where your nose begins.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Sage
I am not going to get to much into this debate but i would like to answer this question for rasputen (who i do know): Well as mentioned in the preceding post by rasputen he speaks of John Stuart Mill. The questions posed above are answered by Mill in his "Harms Principle". It basically states that in soviety one person's right extends only as far as it infringes on another person's right, Basically, my right to punch goes only as far as where your nose begins.
Exactly. So therefore one person's right to refuse to be inconvenienced by a pregnancy goes only so far. That right stops when it infringes on another person's right to life. John Stuart Mill would be a pro-lifer.

Sage

I am pro-life. Mill probaly would to if he believed a fetus was a human being (not saying he didn't ,he was around before abortion as we know it today existed).

I think the main point is forcing values upon another because you believe they are correct is wrong. This is something Mill would be against. Society usually abides by this or it would be impossible for it to function. Thus you must change society by convincing not by force.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I think the main point is forcing values upon another because you believe they are correct is wrong. This is something Mill would be against. Society usually abides by this or it would be impossible for it to function. Thus you must change society by convincing not by force.
Weren't people who freed escaping slaves via the underground railroad "forcing their values upon" the slave owners? You actually think the underground railroad was immoral?

Sage

Originally posted by Jefferson
Weren't people who freed escaping slaves via the underground railroad "forcing their values upon" the slave owners? You actually think the underground railroad was immoral?

No. The people running the underground railroad did not use any force to uphold their values over another. They basically said all escaping slaves who wish to stay here can. It isn't like they went to a plantation hit the owner over the head with a stick and then made slaves go hide in their house. In fact many abolitionists used their voices, speeches and words to influence the abolishment of slavery.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
The people running the underground railroad did not use any force to uphold their values over another. They basically said all escaping slaves who wish to stay here can.
Wrong. They broke the laws of their state. It was illegal to help a slave escape. They broke laws in order to alter the lifestyle of a slave owner against his will.

Sage

Originally posted by Jefferson
Wrong. They broke the laws of their state. It was illegal to help a slave escape. They broke laws in order to alter the lifestyle of a slave owner against his will.

Ok, well then. Yes, harboring slaves was illegal. Does breaking a law necessarily imply forcing your opinion over anothers? Basically, they did not force a slave owner to do anything. They mearly allowed those who wished to escape from oppression do so. How many abolitionists besides John Brown who focibely kept a slave owner out of their house where thet were hiding slaves. The only people who forced the South to change its ways were those who used violence and the Union (who were justified in freeing the oppressed of THEIR own nation).

One Eyed Jack

Ok, well then. Yes, harboring slaves was illegal. Does breaking a law necessarily imply forcing your opinion over anothers? Basically, they did not force a slave owner to do anything.

He had to do his own work then, or pay somebody else to do it.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Does breaking a law necessarily imply forcing your opinion over anothers?
I'll answer your question after you first answer my last question to you.

Here it is again: "Why is it okay for TIME and NEWSWEEK magazines to display bloody photographs of war, terrorism and capital crimes right on their front covers?"

Status
Not open for further replies.