Theology Club: Blinding of Israel

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Question for the MADists on this site:
Romans 11 KJV​
(7) What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded​
(8) (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear; ) unto this day.

(25) For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.​

Was their blindness purposely laid on them by GOD (ie. GOD would not let them see)?
Was that blindness for that generation alive at the time, or for all generations since (ie. still going on)?

In other words, are there still Jews born in every generation that do not have a chance of seeing?

glorydaz

Question for the MADists on this site:
Romans 11 KJV​
(7) What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded​
(8) (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear; ) unto this day.

(25) For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.​

Was their blindness purposely laid on them by GOD (ie. GOD would not let them see)?
Was that blindness for that generation alive at the time, or for all generations since (ie. still going on)?

In other words, are there still Jews born in every generation that do not have a chance of seeing?

I believe God only hardens an already hard heart. The same with blindness. The Jews had plenty of chances to turn to God with faith....so God just extended that blindness in order to expand His mercy and grace to all.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I believe God only hardens an already hard heart. The same with blindness. The Jews had plenty of chances to turn to God with faith....so God just extended that blindness in order to expand His mercy and grace to all.

Wrong

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The blindness that has happened in part is ongoing until the fulness of the Gentiles comes in.
In your estimation, does that mean that GOD has purposely kept some folks from being able to believe for the past 2000 years?
And yes I know this has a Calvinistic tone to it.

glorydaz

In your estimation, does that mean that GOD has purposely kept some folks from being able to believe for the past 2000 years?

This causes me to think about how loyal most Jews are to their religion....they are so steeped in tradition. What would it take to make them turn to the Lord Jesus Christ? I would say something miraculous. The six day war was pretty miraculous, but they only gave credit to God at that time. It has got to be something bigger. :think:

Good thread, Tam.

glorydaz

The blindness that has happened in part is ongoing until the fulness of the Gentiles comes in.

I've heard various explanations of what that "fulness" might be. Maybe it will be when the Gentiles who believe demonstrate their faith by lovingly ministering to the people of Israel. When we are successful in standing beside them during their greatest need....witnessing to them as a Christian nation of believers? They will only be provoked to jealousy (want what we have) if they can see our faith in action....if they see our prayers being answered. I think they will have to be very desperate.

Romans 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

Deut. 32:21b I will move them to jealousy with those which are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.

Zechariah 2:11
And many nations shall be joined to the Lord in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the Lord of hosts hath sent me unto thee.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This causes me to think about how loyal most Jews are to their religion....they are so steeped in tradition. What would it take to make them turn to the Lord Jesus Christ? I would say something miraculous. The six day war was pretty miraculous, but they only gave credit to God at that time. It has got to be something bigger. :think:

Good thread, Tam.
What was it they were blinded to? The gospel of uncircumcision that Paul was appointed to, or the gospel of circumcision the 12 were appointed to?

I feel that they were blinded to the notion that the Lord Jesus Christ was the promised Messiah to restore their kingdom.
For if they had believed, they would not have crucified Him.
And if they had not crucified Him, no resurrection.

But I leave my options open for further clarification.

Paul makes this statement:

1 Corinthians 2:8 KJV
(8) Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Known what?
Paul's gospel? The 12's gospel? Both?

And who are the princes of this world/age?
The Jewish leaders?
Princes of earthly nations?
Princes as in angels

:think:

Danoh

Their blindness was self-inflicted.

Spoiler

Hebrews 3:7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, 3:8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: 3:9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. 3:10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. 3:11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.) 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation. 3:16 For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses. 3:17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Matthew 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Whosoever hath what?

Ears willing to hear.

13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them. 13:18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. 13:20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Matthew 23:29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, 23:30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 23:31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets. 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.

1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe. 2:14 For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews: 2:15 Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men: 2:16 Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.

In His wrath, He sealed their Believing Remnant; shut down their aspect of His Two-Fold Purpose; cutting them the rest off for their unbelief from its' coming, Promised / Prophesied rest.

They were now Uncircumcision as a nation.

Acts 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye. 7:52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers: 7:53 Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

Romans 2:23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God? 2:24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written. 2:25 For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

Romans 3:9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Guess who's aspect of the gospel of Christ - the gospel of the Uncircumcision - was now their only only option as individuals?

Romans 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. 11:12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: 11:14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

11:30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: 11:31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

Instead of individual Gentiles being offered access to and through Israel's Prophesied mercy as a nation; now Individual Israelites were being offered access to and through the Gentiles' Unprophesied Mercy.

By the way; this here was Prophesied: it is not referring to the Gentiles...

Romans 10:18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. 10:19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you. 10:20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me. 10:21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

Romans 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

That is these two groups here...

Isaiah 8:13 Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. 8:14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. 8:15 And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken. 8:16 Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples. 8:17 And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him. 8:18 Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion. 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

This here and their number...

John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1:40 One of the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 1:41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.

Isaiah 65:1 I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name. 65:2 I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts; 65:3 A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick;

65:8 Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all. 65:9 And I will bring forth a seed out of Jacob, and out of Judah an inheritor of my mountains: and mine elect shall inherit it, and my servants shall dwell there.

John 1:45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!

1:49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

1:50 Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these. 1:51 And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

That last passage there?

The - Land - Promise...

Genesis 28:10 And Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran. 28:11 And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep. 28:12 And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. 28:13 And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed; 28:14 And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed. 28:15 And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of. 28:16 And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not. 28:17 And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven. 28:18 And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it. 28:19 And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first. 28:20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, 28:21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: 28:22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

Last edited:

Danoh

What was it they were blinded to? The gospel of uncircumcision that Paul was appointed to, or the gospel of circumcision the 12 were appointed to?

I feel that they were blinded to the notion that the Lord Jesus Christ was the promised Messiah to restore their kingdom.
For if they had believed, they would not have crucified Him.
And if they had not crucified Him, no resurrection.

But I leave my options open for further clarification.

Paul makes this statement:

1 Corinthians 2:8 KJV
(8) Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Known what?
Paul's gospel? The 12's gospel? Both?

And who are the princes of this world/age?
The Jewish leaders?
Princes of earthly nations?
Princes as in angels

:think:

He was the LORD's sacrifice.

How would God have accomplished that through them had they obeyed?

He knew they would not. That they would crucify Him in their disobedience.

And that He would be cut off, but not for Himself, had been Prophesied.

Leaving the following as being what Paul is telling the Corinthians he had found they had not been ready for, beyond the basic "Christ died for our sins."

Who is against the Lords Mystery's Glory (God's plan and purpose in His Son in a New Creature by the Spirit for those High or Heavenly Places)?

Who is it that is against "our glory" - our aspect of the Father's Two-Fold Glory in His Son by the Spirit: that aspect of His Glory in a New Creature?

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Luke 22:3 Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.

Luke 22:53 When I was daily with you in the temple, ye stretched forth no hands against me: but this is your hour, and the power of darkness.

Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
No. The blindness is not complete blindness.

I've heard various explanations of what that "fulness" might be. Maybe it will be when the Gentiles who believe demonstrate their faith by lovingly ministering to the people of Israel. When we are successful in standing beside them during their greatest need....witnessing to them as a Christian nation of believers? They will only be provoked to jealousy (want what we have) if they can see our faith in action....if they see our prayers being answered. I think they will have to be very desperate.
Romans 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

Deut. 32:21b I will move them to jealousy with those which are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.

Zechariah 2:11
And many nations shall be joined to the Lord in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the Lord of hosts hath sent me unto thee.

I believe it is in reference to the rapture, when this dispensation ends.

DAN P

Wrong

And glorydaz has a better , lot better answer than your saying WRONG !!

The blindness of Israel began in Isa 6:8-13 and Lukr 13:6-9 explain !!

And by the time Jesus entered , Israel was already blind as written in 2 Cor 3:14-16 !!

Now all have been set aside , FIRST the Gentiles and the Jews during Paul's time and this means that any person saved from Paul to now , that is saved , enters the Body of Christ !!

Verse 16 says how that happens today , But when ever ( A JEW ) should turn towards the Lord , the VAIL is being taken away !!

Obvoiusly that Jew who turns to the Lord is just part of the elect and that person becomes the PATTERN that Paul wrote in 1 Tim 1:16 !!

The first verb is SHALL TURN / EPISTREPHO is in the AORIST TENSE that points to Paul's ministry , BUT is controlled by the SUBJECTIVE MOOD of the possibility of it happening !!

So , what is the PATTEREN intojoy ??

dan p

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
And glorydaz has a better , lot better answer than your saying WRONG !!

The blindness of Israel began in Isa 6:8-13 and Lukr 13:6-9 explain !!

And by the time Jesus entered , Israel was already blind as written in 2 Cor 3:14-16 !!

Now all have been set aside , FIRST the Gentiles and the Jews during Paul's time and this means that any person saved from Paul to now , that is saved , enters the Body of Christ !!

Verse 16 says how that happens today , But when ever ( A JEW ) should turn towards the Lord , the VAIL is being taken away !!

Obvoiusly that Jew who turns to the Lord is just part of the elect and that person becomes the PATTERN that Paul wrote in 1 Tim 1:16 !!

The first verb is SHALL TURN / EPISTREPHO is in the AORIST TENSE that points to Paul's ministry , BUT is controlled by the SUBJECTIVE MOOD of the possibility of it happening !!

So , what is the PATTEREN intojoy ??

dan p

JOEL

Name: means Jehovah is God
Date:
* no kingship mentioned
* Joel 3:16 quoted by Amos in 1:2 & 3:18 in Amos 9:13 thus putting his prophecy before Amos.
* he does not rail against idolatry like Amos
* Probably prophesied during the reign of Joash a good king in 835 BC
Locale: Judah probably Jerusalem
Historical Setting: a locust invasion that set the stage for two future invasions one demonic and one an army.
Two Major Points: (1) God controls world events (2) God always responds to repentance
Theme: The Day of Jehovah 1:15,2:1,11,31,3:14.
NT Quotes: 2:28-32 in Acts 2:17-21, and 2:32 in Rom 10:13.

Historical Locust Invasion 2-14

Vs 2: This invasion unique to all past history. The old men could not recall anything to compare it to.

Vs 3: Elders are told to tell of it to four generations.

Vs 4: Four stages of devastation: Four successive swarms. In the Old Testament the number four sometimes represents totality of destruction (Jer 15:3, Ez 14:21). Again by the time Joel writes these words this is not a prophecy but already history. But it will become the background for something prophetic.

Vs 5: The drunks are called to awake after their last binge and to weep and wail for there wine is to be cut off.

Vs 6: These things are destroyed by an army of locusts which symbolizes an army as in Pr 30:25,27.

Vs 7: The branches are made white meaning the bark itself has been eaten up. Not only are the drunks to mourn but also the rest of the population.

Vs 8: Those to lament (Hebrew word for lament "Betulah" used only here and nowhere else in the OT it's a feminine imperative because it pictures the whole nation as the virgin daughter of Zion).

Vs 9: Priesthood called to repent now because the things that sustained them from the tithes is now gone.

Vs 10 - 12a: Again emphasis on what has been lost.

Vs 12b: No Feast of First Fruits.

Vs 13: Refers to the priesthood as the ministers of the altar because they were responsible for the offering and as ministers of my God because they were responsible for representing God. They're told to keep the sackcloth normally worn only at day are to keep it on even in their sleep.

There is a real danger of massive starvation.

Vs 14: Joel calls upon all people to fast which would be a sign (Judges 20:26, Neh 1:4) of outward national grief and repentance. And to cry unto the Lord showing the inward repentance.

The Prophetic Invasion, Joel Shoots Forward to the Day of Jehovah

Vs 15: Begins with an announcement: (Joel's theme) The Day of Jehovah is at hand.

Vs 16: In this day also sustenance cut off from the temple as in the locust invasion.

Vs 17: In the preceding invasion things were destroyed by things eating them but here these things will be destroyed by fire.

Vs 18: Devastation on the livestock.

Chapter 2 Describes the Tribulation

Vs 1: once again the alarm is sounded to announce the approaching army the alarm sounds from the Temple Mount. That Day of Jehovah has finally arrived.

Vs 2: described in four terms (1) darkness (2) gloominess (3) clouds (4) thick darkness
Is 8:22,69:2, Amos 5:18-20 Zeph 1:14-16.
*As dawn spreads the Day of Jehovah will be both sudden and wide spread.
*Notice the words "AS" and "LIKE", in other words they don't really do this, they appear like they do this, appearance is of a human army but something about them makes them non human.
*As bad as the previous locusts invasion was, this one will be far worse.

Vs 3: The devastation they cause. Again not by eating but by fire.

Vs 4: Their appearances are "as" horseman.

Vs 5: They make noise like fire a crackling sound.

Vs 6: The terror they cause.

Vs 8: They are disciplined.

Vs 9: Description of their attack.

Vs 10: A blackout appears.

Vs 11: Joel points out that this is a divine judgement from God. This massive army is executing God's word. Revelation does not really provide a lot of new information besides the last two chapters 21 & 22. Most of what's in Revelation is scattered throughout the OT. What Revelation does is it gives the chronology of events. Here in Joel 2 Revelation chapter 9 elaborates that there will be 2 demonic invasions 9:11 where the demons are told not to kill but to torment men for five months. After five months comes the second demonic invasion 9:13-21 where they kill one third of humanity.

Similarities in Revelation 9 and Joel 2
*army has horselike and locust features
*fire causes massive devastation
*causes convulsions of nature
*causes a blackout - there are 5 different blackouts. (1) before the Tribulation (2,3,4) during the Tribulation, and (5) right afterwards. This blackout in Joel 2 is the third blackout.
*destruction comes from the destroyer.

What Joel is describing is what John was describing, a demonic army invasion. Joel says their camp was very great, John gives their number as 2 million demons. Not Chinese but demons.

The Exhortation to Fasting and Prayer

Vs 12: People now required to fast, weep, mourn. Inward and external repentance.

Vs 13-14: God does respond to repentance (Ex 34:6).

Vs 15-17: Alarm sounded again but not for warning but for the solemn assembly. Priests called to request of God that the people be spared on the basis of (1) Israel are the chosen people, and (2) based that Gentiles would not deride them and question God.

In the first part the book Joel has described a recent invasion and asked for the people to pray that there won't be mass starvation. That led to a prophetic invasion, a demonic invasion leading to a call of the solemn assembly to ask God to intervene.

The Salvation and Restoration of Israel

Vs 18-20: God's mercy, (1) God was jealous for His land (Zac 1:14,8:2, Ex 34:14, Ez 39:5), and (2) God has pity on His people, God will never allow a total destruction of His people.
The main army will die in the Negev in the north. Eastern sea - Dead Sea.
With such massive destruction of a human army there's a stench.

God will do positive things

Vs 21: Land rejoices.

Vs 22: Even the animals can rejoice.

Vs 23-26: The Jews rejoice and give thanks for five things (1) (the translators didn't know what to do with this so they wrote "he gives the former rain in just measure") there are just 2 Hebrew words here and should be translated "for the teacher of righteousness"the first thing they are to rejoice for is for their Messiah, (2) for the rains coming in their proper seasons, (3) for the grain, wine and oil, (4) the restoration of previous losses, and (5) because shame has been removed.

Vs 27: Ultimately Israel will know their God.

Joel Describes the Event that Leads to Israel's National Salvation, the Outpouring of the Holy Spirit and the Third Invasion the Campaign of Armageddon

Chapter three in the Hebrew bible begins with 2:28.

Vs 28: The key word is "afterwards" after Israel's repentance comes this national salvation, this outpouring of the Spirit.

Vs 29: Pronoun "your" meaning all Jews living during that time and not all flesh in the world. This is what Paul talks about in Romans 12.

Vs 30-31: He points to signs heralding that this is coming (1) convulsions of nature (elaborated on in the book of Revelation), (2) blackout, the first of those five blackouts. This one coming before the Tribulation.

Vs 32: The prerequisite to the outpouring of the Spirit - Israel's calling upon the name of the Lord. Only one third of the Jewish population survive and these are the Remnant who are identified as those who escaped now called so the second time in the minor prophets.

The Judgement of the Gentiles

Chapter Three
Vs 1: The timing - in those days and in that time - what time? When Israel is saved. Daniel 12 points out that there will be a 75 day interval between the end of the Tribulation and the starting of the Messianic Kingdom during which time several things will take place.

Vs 2: The subjects are all Gentiles who survive,

Vs 3: will be judged in the valley of Jehoshaphat/Kidron. Judged on the basis of Matthew 25 how they aided the Jews during the Tribulation separated as goats and sheep. Judged for (1) scattering the Jews, (2) parting the land, (3) for enslaving the Jews.

Vs 4-7: those guilty are Phonecia present day Lebanon and Philistia present day Gaza Strip area.

Vs 8: Those who caused enslavement are enslaved.

Vs 9: Summary of key features of the Campaign of Armageddon. Proclaimed in Revelation 17:12-16 by the antichrist. When the people around world hear the decree to come against the Jews they do so with

Vs 10: with enthusiasm. With speed and with haste. What they don't realize is that God is bringing these nations together that will end in gentile defeat.

Vs 12: Gathered together on the valley of Jehoshaphat for judgement.

Vs 13: Rev 14:14-16 reaping. Reaping a symbol of salvation there will be salvation among the Gentiles. Treading - judgement just outside the city.

Vs 14: multitudes of Gentiles

Vs 15: accompanied with a blackout , blackout number 5

Vs 16: The goat Gentiles showed their lack of faith by their antisemitism and perish. But the sheep Gentiles showed their faith by their pro Semitic works and will populate the Messianic Kingdom. These are the nations that the church saints will judge over during the kingdom.

Vs 18-21: Ends his book with a description of the Messianic Kingdom. "It shall come to pass in that Day" is a prophetic motif for the kingdom.
*A special river. It flows into the Dead Sea causing life, fish.
*Different settlements than those in book of Joshua
*Dramatic changes in the land's geography explained by Zachariah.
* Edom suffers total destruction.
* Egypt suffers only for 40 years. Then they exist as a nation during the kingdom.
* Judah shall abide forever.
* Israel will be a saved state with Messiah ruling.

notreligus

John 5:39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me,
John 5:40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
John 5:41 I do not receive glory from people.
John 5:42 But I know that you do not have the love of God within you.
John 5:43 I have come in my Father's name, and you do not receive me. If another comes in his own name, you will receive him.
John 5:44 How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?
John 5:45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope.
John 5:46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me.
John 5:47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"

The Jews rejected what Moses had already told them about the Messiah in the Pentateuch. Jesus told them that they were condemned by Moses in the sense that they had rejected what Moses had already told him. The Jews still reject Messiah and many still claim that Isaiah 53 is about Israel and not about the Suffering Servant. They will not be saved by covenantal nomism. They will be saved by having their faith in Christ. This is obviously the message of this passage from the Book of John.

DAN P

JOEL

Date:
* no kingship mentioned
* Joel 3:16 quoted by Amos in 1:2 & 3:18 in Amos 9:13 thus putting his prophecy before Amos.
Historical Setting: a locust invasion that set the stage for two future invasions one demonic and one an army.
Two Major Points: (1) God controls world events (2) God always responds to repentance

Vs 2: This invasion unique to all past history. The old men could not recall anything to compare it to.

Vs 4: Four stages of devastation: Four successive swarms. In the Old Testament the number four sometimes represents totality of destruction (Jer 15:3, Ez 14:21). Again by the time Joel writes these words this is not a prophecy but already history. But it will become the background for something prophetic.

Vs 5: The drunks are called to awake after their last binge and to weep and wail for there wine is to be cut off.

Vs 6: These things are destroyed by an army of locusts which symbolizes an army as in Pr 30:25,27.

Vs 7: The branches are made white meaning the bark itself has been eaten up. Not only are the drunks to mourn but also the rest of the population.

Vs 8: Those to lament (Hebrew word for lament "Betulah" used only here and nowhere else in the OT it's a feminine imperative because it pictures the whole nation as the virgin daughter of Zion).

Vs 9: Priesthood called to repent now because the things that sustained them from the tithes is now gone.

Vs 13: Refers to the priesthood as the ministers of the altar because they were responsible for the offering and as ministers of my God because they were responsible for representing God. They're told to keep the sackcloth normally worn only at day are to keep it on even in their sleep.

Vs 14: Joel calls upon all people to fast which would be a sign (Judges 20:26, Neh 1:4) of outward national grief and repentance. And to cry unto the Lord showing the inward repentance.

Vs 15: Begins with an announcement: (Joel's theme) The Day of Jehovah is at hand.

Vs 16: In this day also sustenance cut off from the temple as in the locust invasion.

Vs 17: In the preceding invasion things were destroyed by things eating them but here these things will be destroyed by fire.

Vs 1: once again the alarm is sounded to announce the approaching army the alarm sounds from the Temple Mount. That Day of Jehovah has finally arrived.

Vs 2: described in four terms (1) darkness (2) gloominess (3) clouds (4) thick darkness
*Notice the words "AS" and "LIKE", in other words they don't really do this, they appear like they do this, appearance is of a human army but something about them makes them non human.

Vs 11: Joel points out that this is a divine judgement from God. This massive army is executing God's word. Revelation does not really provide a lot of new information besides the last two chapters 21 & 22. Most of what's in Revelation is scattered throughout the OT. What Revelation does is it gives the chronology of events. Here in Joel 2 Revelation chapter 9 elaborates that there will be 2 demonic invasions 9:11 where the demons are told not to kill but to torment men for five months. After five months comes the second demonic invasion 9:13-21 where they kill one third of humanity.

*causes a blackout - there are 5 different blackouts. (1) before the Tribulation (2,3,4) during the Tribulation, and (5) right afterwards. This blackout in Joel 2 is the third blackout.

What Joel is describing is what John was describing, a demonic army invasion. Joel says their camp was very great, John gives their number as 2 million demons. Not Chinese but demons.

Vs 12: People now required to fast, weep, mourn. Inward and external repentance.

Vs 15-17: Alarm sounded again but not for warning but for the solemn assembly. Priests called to request of God that the people be spared on the basis of (1) Israel are the chosen people, and (2) based that Gentiles would not deride them and question God.

In the first part the book Joel has described a recent invasion and asked for the people to pray that there won't be mass starvation. That led to a prophetic invasion, a demonic invasion leading to a call of the solemn assembly to ask God to intervene.

Vs 18-20: God's mercy, (1) God was jealous for His land (Zac 1:14,8:2, Ex 34:14, Ez 39:5), and (2) God has pity on His people, God will never allow a total destruction of His people.

Vs 23-26: The Jews rejoice and give thanks for five things (1) (the translators didn't know what to do with this so they wrote "he gives the former rain in just measure") there are just 2 Hebrew words here and should be translated "for the teacher of righteousness"the first thing they are to rejoice for is for their Messiah, (2) for the rains coming in their proper seasons, (3) for the grain, wine and oil, (4) the restoration of previous losses, and (5) because shame has been removed.

Joel Describes the Event that Leads to Israel's National Salvation, the Outpouring of the Holy Spirit and the Third Invasion the Campaign of Armageddon

Vs 28: The key word is "afterwards" after Israel's repentance comes this national salvation, this outpouring of the Spirit.

Vs 29: Pronoun "your" meaning all Jews living during that time and not all flesh in the world. This is what Paul talks about in Romans 12.

Vs 30-31: He points to signs heralding that this is coming (1) convulsions of nature (elaborated on in the book of Revelation), (2) blackout, the first of those five blackouts. This one coming before the Tribulation.

Vs 32: The prerequisite to the outpouring of the Spirit - Israel's calling upon the name of the Lord. Only one third of the Jewish population survive and these are the Remnant who are identified as those who escaped now called so the second time in the minor prophets.

Chapter Three
Vs 1: The timing - in those days and in that time - what time? When Israel is saved. Daniel 12 points out that there will be a 75 day interval between the end of the Tribulation and the starting of the Messianic Kingdom during which time several things will take place.

Vs 3: will be judged in the valley of Jehoshaphat/Kidron. Judged on the basis of Matthew 25 how they aided the Jews during the Tribulation separated as goats and sheep. Judged for (1) scattering the Jews, (2) parting the land, (3) for enslaving the Jews.

Vs 4-7: those guilty are Phonecia present day Lebanon and Philistia present day Gaza Strip area.

Vs 9: Summary of key features of the Campaign of Armageddon. Proclaimed in Revelation 17:12-16 by the antichrist. When the people around world hear the decree to come against the Jews they do so with

Vs 10: with enthusiasm. With speed and with haste. What they don't realize is that God is bringing these nations together that will end in gentile defeat.

Vs 13: Rev 14:14-16 reaping. Reaping a symbol of salvation there will be salvation among the Gentiles. Treading - judgement just outside the city.

Vs 16: The goat Gentiles showed their lack of faith by their antisemitism and perish. But the sheep Gentiles showed their faith by their pro Semitic works and will populate the Messianic Kingdom. These are the nations that the church saints will judge over during the kingdom.

Vs 18-21: Ends his book with a description of the Messianic Kingdom. "It shall come to pass in that Day" is a prophetic motif for the kingdom.
* Egypt suffers only for 40 years. Then they exist as a nation during the kingdom.

Hi and reply to 2 Cor 3:13-16 is the answer and lets see you refute that verse ?

And you wrote the above and means nothing !!

dan p

glorydaz

I just found this really good information while skimming through this thread, and it fits in so well with Revelation and the coming Day of the Lord.

Joel chapters 2 and 3.

God's army gathering, and His call to "Turn ye even to me with all your heart...And turn unto the Lord your God".
It's easy to see the importance of Israel during this end time.

JOEL

Date:
* no kingship mentioned

Chapter Three

Last edited: