Bob is wrong about pot.

WichitaJohn

Dear Pastor Bob,
I would like to lay out the reasons I disagree with your stance against legalizing pot. Most of my disagreements stem from the false distinctions you make between pot and alcohol. I will try to keep this brief.

1. Your statement concerning how pot is only used to get high is silly. Did you pull this idea out of thin air? Just as one can drink alcohol and feel the affects but not be drunk one can also use pot and feel the affects but not be high. In fact, I have smoked pot before and felt nothing. If you do not have a problem with someone drinking wine to relax and help them fall asleep you should not have a problem with someone using pot for the same reason. Also, if someone walks into a liquor store and buys a pint of 100 proof vodka I think it is safe to conclude that they intend to get drunk. Should we prohibit such beverages?

2. You have spent a good deal of time pointing out the negative health effects of pot. But most of the studies you site deal with people who have frequent and prolonged use. If you apply these same standards and look at the negative effects of frequent and prolonged alcohol consumption you would net similar results. (Including brain damage.)

3. What is the purpose of highlighting any pot related crime? Why don't you do this with alcohol related crime? Also, I am sure you would agree that if someone commits a crime while high, drunk, or sober they should be punished equally. Do you believe banning pot would be a good strategy to lower crime rates? I have heard you teach that laws should not be designed to make it so people CAN'T commit crimes but instead they should be designed so people WON'T commit crimes.

4. You have been warning people of the dangers of legalism for years but you are being legalistic on this matter. God said "Don't get high". You are saying "don't partake or even touch."

5. When you point out the stigma society has concerning pot users/potheads you ignore the stigma some people have concerning those who drink alcohol. A lot of the stigma about pot is a result of it being illegal. I am sure the stigma against alcohol was much greater during prohibition. Also, in today's society, bible believers like us are seen as ignorant buffoons. Would this be a good justification for banning Bibles? Prohibition laws should not depend on the stereotypes of a society.

Liberals have lots of reasons why they think pot should be legal. Their reasons are mostly stupid. The war on drugs has been futile so far. But even if we were able to get a strangle hold on the drug supply I am sure people would, because they already do, synthesis other drugs. We would be tilting at windmills.

musterion

Why do you keep bringing up alcohol? Shouldn't pot be able to stand on its own merits? It almost sounds like, "Oh yeah? Well alcohol does too..."

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Looks like we picked up another knucklehead. Have fun.

WichitaJohn

First of all, I am a big fan of Pastor Bob's and have been since the TV days. Usually I find what he says to be full of wisdom. But I think he is wrong on this issue. And musterion.. Yes, if Bob wants to make a distinction between pot and alcohol he needs to make an actual distinction, not a fabricated one. That is the point of my post.

musterion

And musterion.. Yes, if Bob wants to make a distinction between pot and alcohol he needs to make an actual distinction, not a fabricated one. That is the point of my post.

That's fine and I get that you were responding to Bob but whatever Bob's arguments were, it seems to me you should still be able to defend the positive aspects of pot, if you believe the case can be made, without comparing it with the negative aspects of alcohol.

way 2 go

Dear Pastor Bob,
I would like to lay out the reasons I disagree with your stance against legalizing pot. Most of my disagreements stem from the false distinctions you make between pot and alcohol. I will try to keep this brief.

1. Your statement concerning how pot is only used to get high is silly. Did you pull this idea out of thin air? Just as one can drink alcohol and feel the affects but not be drunk one can also use pot and feel the affects but not be high. In fact, I have smoked pot before and felt nothing. If you do not have a problem with someone drinking wine to relax and help them fall asleep you should not have a problem with someone using pot for the same reason. Also, if someone walks into a liquor store and buys a pint of 100 proof vodka I think it is safe to conclude that they intend to get drunk. Should we prohibit such beverages?

if your not getting stoned its oregano

2. You have spent a good deal of time pointing out the negative health effects of pot. But most of the studies you site deal with people who have frequent and prolonged use. If you apply these same standards and look at the negative effects of frequent and prolonged alcohol consumption you would net similar results. (Including brain damage.)
pot still has negative health effects.

3. What is the purpose of highlighting any pot related crime? Why don't you do this with alcohol related crime? Also, I am sure you would agree that if someone commits a crime while high, drunk, or sober they should be punished equally. Do you believe banning pot would be a good strategy to lower crime rates? I have heard you teach that laws should not be designed to make it so people CAN'T commit crimes but instead they should be designed so people WON'T commit crimes.
pot heads like to think there is no crime related to pot

4. You have been warning people of the dangers of legalism for years but you are being legalistic on this matter. God said "Don't get high". You are saying "don't partake or even touch."
don't start wont have to stop

5. When you point out the stigma society has concerning pot users/potheads you ignore the stigma some people have concerning those who drink alcohol. A lot of the stigma about pot is a result of it being illegal. I am sure the stigma against alcohol was much greater during prohibition. Also, in today's society, bible believers like us are seen as ignorant buffoons. Would this be a good justification for banning Bibles? Prohibition laws should not depend on the stereotypes of a society.

its good to mock potheads
so as to deter others from becoming retarded
Liberals have lots of reasons why they think pot should be legal. Their reasons are mostly stupid. The war on drugs has been futile so far. But even if we were able to get a strangle hold on the drug supply I am sure people would, because they already do, synthesis other drugs. We would be tilting at windmills.

what is you acceptable level of lives ruined by pot
1 in 10
1 in 100

elohiym

if your not getting stoned its oregano

Marijuana can be consumed in a way that doesn't make a person "stoned." Some people juice the leaves and drink the juice. It's alleged to be very nutritious and have impressive medicinal benefits.

pot still has negative health effects.

It also causes positive health effects. Commonly used drugs have negative health effects, too. We weigh the benefits and risks.

pot heads like to think there is no crime related to pot

Gun owners like to think there is no crime related to guns. :plain:

musterion

Marijuana can be consumed in a way that doesn't make a person "stoned." Some people juice the leaves and drink the juice. It's alleged to be very nutritious and have impressive medicinal benefits.

It also causes positive health effects. Commonly used drugs have negative health effects, too. We weigh the benefits and risks.

You admitted to denying the Gospel to people based on their skin color, so your opinion on anything counts for nothing.

way 2 go

could be said of cocaine

they weigh it grams and ounces
and could care less about the risks

did you know cannibal in florida was only on marijuana not bath salts

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Marijuana It's alleged to be very nutritious and have impressive medicinal benefits.

By whom? No study shows it. Which is why there are not any in the public eye. They are hidden, just like second hand smoke.

Gun owners like to think there is no crime related to guns.

The tool used is not related to the crime in the way you mean. It is quite retarded or dishonest to try and connect them. What gun did Cain use? If there was a background check that wouldn't have happened, right?

WichitaJohn

Hopefully, I will learn how to do quotes soon. Maybe someone can send me a tutorial. I have been trying to contact Bob concerning this matter with no luck.

Musterion... No, I don't see any need to present any positive aspects of pot. I don't know that Pepsi has any real benefits except a sugar and caffeine rush and no one says it should be banned. However, pot has helped me relax and sleep.

Way 2 go... you say "if your not getting stoned its oregano" Could I say," If your not getting drunk it's grape juice?" Trust me, it was pot. An hour later I returned to it and eventually did feel the effects. I agree with the rest of your statements but they seem pointless. Concerning your last question... "what is your acceptable level of lives ruined by alcohol... 1 in 10... 1 in 100?". That's a good question. Wooops, I misquoted you. You said "pot" not alcohol. (sorry for snarkiness) Later you post, "did you know cannibal in florida was only on marijuana not bath salts" My response is to ask this: Did Jeffrey Dahmer smoke pot? How about the BTK killer? People commit horrible and disturbing acts while sober, while high and while drunk. So this is a mute point as well.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From a creationist's point of view, all these things were created with a good purpose. Certainly they can be abused, but liberty suggests they should not be outlawed.

I think it is best to approach the issue of prohibition saying: As long as the use of a substance cannot be used as an excuse in court by a lawyer, it should not be restricted.

way 2 go

Way 2 go... you say "if your not getting stoned its oregano" Could I say," If your not getting drunk it's grape juice?"
no

:think: you only had 1 drink

Trust me, it was pot. An hour later I returned to it and eventually did feel the effects. I agree with the rest of your statements but they seem pointless.
we are going to legalize pot so this is kinda pointless
but i do care
we don't need more potheads or alcoholics

Concerning your last question... "what is your acceptable level of lives ruined by alcohol... 1 in 10... 1 in 100?". That's a good question. Wooops, I misquoted you. You said "pot" not alcohol. (sorry for snarkiness)
which you did not answer

Later you post, "did you know cannibal in florida was only on marijuana not bath salts" My response is to ask this: Did Jeffrey Dahmer smoke pot? How about the BTK killer? People commit horrible and disturbing acts while sober, while high and while drunk. So this is a mute point as well.
you said 3. What is the purpose of highlighting any pot related crime?

we are going to legalize pot and we are going to do an experiment
on society and one of the criteria we will be looking at is
pot related crime,
problem is no one wants to report pothead crimes

WichitaJohn

way 2 go... I think you might be missing the point. If Bob is ok with alcohol being legal (due to Biblical principles) but not marijuana he needs to make a distinction between the two. Otherwise booze and pot should both be legal. I think he has failed to make a reasonable distinction.
Concerning your last question: What do I think is an acceptable number of lives to be destroyed by pot or alcohol addiction? I accept that we live in a fallen world and these tragedies will always occur. I wish the number was zero. But I know and accept that will never happen. But the best way to lower this number is not to ban any substance. It is for Christians to offer people hope through Jesus Christ and for the government to righteously punish criminals equally with the standards the Bible sets up whether they commit their crimes while sober, drunk or high.