Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:

Dr. Paul Cameron: A very large, very well done study with 100,000 respondents was reported just this last year. And the correlation between being interested in homosexual activity between identical twins is the same as the correlation between fraternal twins is the same as between brothers...etc.

Enyart: So if homosexuality was genetic we would expect to see that if one identical twin was homosexual there would be a high likelihood that his brother or sister would be also.

Dr. Paul Cameron: Right, at least a much greater likelihood. And, by the way, the chaps who ran this were no conservatives. They were liberals. But they had to admit that there was no evidence of a genetic component.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
2nd BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:

Dr. Paul Cameron: "Kinsey rejected the notion that there was such a thing as a homosexual."

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Jefferson
BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:

Dr. Paul Cameron: A very large, very well done study with 100,000 respondents was reported just this last year. And the correlation between being interested in homosexual activity between identical twins is the same as the correlation between fraternal twins is the same as between brothers...etc.

Is this the same Paul Cameron
  • ... who was thrown out of the American Psychological Association for ethical violations in the 1980's?

... whose shoddy research caused the Nebraska Psychological Association to adopt a formal resolution in 1984 disassociating that organization from any of Cameron's "representations and interpretations of scientific literature"?

... who prompted the American Sociological Association to adopt a resolution, in 1986, stating in part, "...The American Sociological Association officially and publicly states that Paul Cameron is not a sociologist, and condemns his consistent misrepresentation of sociological research..."?

... who was censured by the U.S. District Court of Dallas (Baker vs. Wade 1985) for making misrepresentations to the court in his allegedly "expert" testimony?

St. Bob the Broadcaster is scraping the bottom of the barrel when he has to interview morons like Cameron as authorities. :ha:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Through a little searching I found this:

* Dr. Cameron was not "dropped" from the APA. The first document, dated November 7, 1982 is a copy of the letter sent by Dr. Cameron announcing his resignation from the APA. By this point, all previous disputes between him and the APA had been settled, and there were no other charges or inquiries into possible ethical violations pending against him. The last previous correspondence from the APA was dated October 18, 1982, reminding Cameron that it had closed his dispute with 6 U. Nebraska psychologists.

The rest of Dr. Paul Cameron's rebuttle

Zakath

Resident Atheist
According to the APA, Cameron was already under investigation at that point. As with many certifying organizations, the standing practice of the APA is it will not accept the resignation (to avoid censure) of members who are under ethics investigations prior to the results of the investigation being published .

Try reading some of Cameron's work and you'll see he is an idiot.

Remember, who you're supporting here, Nineveh...
  • Cameron called for the internment and branding of all HIV positive individuals.
  • William Bennett, former US Secty. of Education used Cameron's numbers until in 1998, after Andrew Sullivan wrote an article challenging the statistics, Bennett wrote in a letter to the New Republic (1998, February 23, page 4): "Given what I now know, I believe there are flaws with Paul Cameron's study. One cannot extrapolate from his methodology and say that the average male homosexual life span is 43 years."
  • Cameron has stated that in the event that an AIDS vaccine is developed, homosexuals should submit to castration as a condition to receiving the vaccine.
  • "At the 1985 Conservative Political Action Conference, Cameron announced to the attendees, 'Unless we get medically lucky, in three or four years, one of the options discussed will be the extermination of homosexuals.' According to an interview with former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop, Cameron was recommending the extermination option as early as 1983." - Mark E. Pietrzyk, News-Telegraph, March 10, 1995.
  • "Cameron also presented data that homosexuals are disproportionately child molesters. This research was also based on newspaper stories, which he said prove homosexuals are perpetrators in 40 percent of all molestation cases." - The Minnesota Daily, August 22, 1997

If you're intersted in understanding why Cameron's work is not statistically valid, I can give you an academic review of his work written in layman's terms.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
"Remember, who you're supporting here, Nineveh..."

Well, Zak, I wasn't aware of supporting anyone, but you leveled some claims, I thought it only fair (since he isn't here) to at least let the guy speak for himself.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Nineveh
"Remember, who you're supporting here, Nineveh..."

Well, Zak, I wasn't aware of supporting anyone, but you leveled some claims, I thought it only fair (since he isn't here) to at least let the guy speak for himself.
Thank you for clarifying, though in Cameron's case, that's a bit like citing Hitler's leibensraum to "let the guy speak for himself" about invading Poland.

But you're right, it is a discussion board, eh? :D

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Zakath, why do you only cite your sources when you post a direct quote?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Turbo
Zakath, why do you only cite your sources when you post a direct quote?
When I have a verified source, I try to provide it so that others can research it themselves, if they desire.

All my actual files on Cameron, containing some of his own articles and speeches, are on my other computer; one to which I have no access for the immediate future. :(

smothers

BANNED
Banned
"Dr." and I use the term loosely, is thoroughly ignored by the main-steam psychological community. He is guilty of mining the data to support his own delusions. The psychology department at UC Davis stated it well:

Paul Cameron circa 1986 Psychologist Paul Cameron has used his own studies to claim that homosexuals threaten public health, social order, and the well-being of children. His conclusions are generally at odds with other published research, and objective indices show that his work has had no apparent impact on scientific research on sexual orientation.
Although Cameron has been criticized in the popular press, extensive scientific critiques of his group's research have not been widely available. Those that have been published have been brief or appeared in obscure journals. This inattention by the scientific community is perhaps not surprising, given the poor quality of the Cameron group's data and the low prestige of the journals in which they have published. Most scientists have simply ignored the Cameron studies.

Lacking training in research methods and statistics, however, nonscientists may not be equipped to subject the Cameron group's results to the rigorous scrutiny that they warrant. Consequently, they may mistakenly assume that the Cameron group's papers are basically sound because they included lengthy bibliographies, reported many statistics, and were published in academic journals. Some members of the lay public may not understand that the mere presence of bibliographic references does not guarantee an assertion's accuracy or validity, that statistics can easily be generated from faulty data, and that academic journals vary widely in their quality and their criteria for accepting papers for publication.

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_cameron.html

Status
Not open for further replies.