Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:

Commenting on the huge amount of limestone on earth:

Limestone constists of calcium, carbon and oxygen. . . The carbon presumably came from carbon dioxide. If you had that much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to explain all the calcium carbonate we see in limestone . . . it would be toxic. There's just too much limestone. In fact one of the most outstanding geologists the United States has ever produced, Dr. Robert S. Dietz, personal friend of mine actually, a leading evolutionist - he just admitted, he had to throw up his hands, he could not explain how all the limestone on earth came about.

ThePhy

Is expetise in Geology the same as in evolution?

Is expetise in Geology the same as in evolution?

Jefferson offered this quote from Walt Brown
Limestone consists of calcium, carbon and oxygen. . . The carbon presumably came from carbon dioxide. If you had that much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to explain all the calcium carbonate we see in limestone . . . it would be toxic. There's just too much limestone. In fact one of the most outstanding geologists the United States has ever produced, Dr. Robert S. Dietz, personal friend of mine actually, a leading evolutionist - he just admitted, he had to throw up his hands, he could not explain how all the limestone on earth came about. [Emphasis Jefferson]
Your emphasis is misplaced. I have never heard of Dietz as being one of the leading figures in evolution, in spite of Walt’s assertion. His credentials and publications in geology are impressive, and that is the field most relevant to the limestone question. If this account from Walt is accurate, the most it shows is that leading geologists admit that there are important questions that they do not have answers to yet. But I know of no field in science that is free from that charge. This is hardly an indictment of sciences belief in an old earth as determined by other means. Dietz wrote on evolution, but I challenge you to show original contributions from Dietz to evolution that were not based within his expertise in geology. This limestone issue is significant to evolution only if it turned out to be indicative of a fundamental error in the other age of the earth studies. Lacking that, I see little applicability to evolution.

ThePhy

Chicken soup

Chicken soup

From Jefferson:
To see a report of how evolutionists are too (chicken) to debate Dr. Brown, see: http://www.trueorigin.org/Meert1.pdf
I am a little disappointed at what seems to be a retreat on Meert’s part. Meert has a web site that shows that at least some of the claims made by Walt about the exchange are not quite true (for example – that Meert refuses to debate purely on the science). But overall, I fail to see why the scientific evidence could not be evaluated purely based on scientific merit, even if it was prompted by a Biblical belief.

I have ordered Walt’s book, and will reserve judgment on the overall quality of his arguments until I have seen the data and reasoning he puts forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.