Castle Doctrine Gun Law

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The Castle Doctrine in Missouri heavily favors self defense as in this case. I read a different article than this, also in the Post Dispatch. This guy even says his occupations is - "a drunk" and the police have been in contact with him dozens of times. Strange story. I noticed Illinois has a Castle Doctrine and I wondered how many folks have heard of it -

View attachment 20391

ROBERTSVILLE, Mo. (AP) _ A 55-year-old eastern Missouri man who killed two intruders at a home this year has been protected by the state’s castle doctrine in both cases.

Rural Franklin County resident Michael T. Wieners fatally shot a former roommate in February and stabbed a neighbor to death in June. Missouri law gives people occupying homes or vehicles broad license to protect themselves with deadly force.

Wieners told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he killed his former friends in self-defense.

“I wasn’t looking for that,” he told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I am not that type of person. But I am not going to let somebody take my life.”

Records say Wieners vowed beforehand to take the law into his own hands over a burglary, despite discouragement from police. In another case, at least one deputy discredited Wieners’ fatal threats to a man as a mere side effect of being intoxicated. In multiple incident reports, Wieners’ occupation is listed as, “drunk.”

Wieners is among a group of people who live on the edge of the law and yet are keen or lucky enough to avoid prison, said Franklin County Sheriff Gary Toelke. There are things that concerned authorities in regard to the deaths, but he says there isn’t evidence to sway concerns in either direction. Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney Bob Parks says people get “the benefit of the doubt” due to the castle doctrine.

___

Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Castle Doctrine in Missouri heavily favors self defense as in this case. I read a different article than this, also in the Post Dispatch. This guy even says his occupations is - "a drunk" and the police have been in contact with him dozens of times. Strange story. I noticed Illinois has a Castle Doctrine and I wondered how many folks have heard of it -

Are you implying that Castle Doctrines should be done away with because they are abused by some?

If the prosecutor had a good case against Michael Wieners he would have gotten a conviction.

Self defense is justified no matter where it takes place (on or off your property).

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Are you implying that Castle Doctrines should be done away with because they are abused by some?

If the prosecutor had a good case against Michael Wieners he would have gotten a conviction.

Self defense is justified no matter where it takes place (on or off your property).

No not at all, I agree completely with Castle Doctrines

I found this story odd and it seems like he should be in jail if you heard the complete story; i'll try to find it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
In fact, Castle Doctrine should apply to my person as well. The body is a temple (castle ?). If everyone had that attitude and a good percentage of the lawful folks had Conceal Carry licensing and training the whole nation should be a castle.

I am glad the castle doctrine extends to vehicles also

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
In fact, Castle Doctrine should apply to my person as well. The body is a temple (castle ?). If everyone had that attitude and a good percentage of the lawful folks had Conceal Carry licensing and training the whole nation should be a castle.

I am glad the castle doctrine extends to vehicles also

Many States have "Stand your ground" laws. That was the issue in the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case in Florida, i.e. the right to stand your ground and not retreat when being attacked.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Many States have "Stand your ground" laws. That was the issue in the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case in Florida, i.e. the right to stand your ground and not retreat when being attacked.

Yes, that's good to know. Do you know what stops me from committing a crime if I thought of committing one ? Consequences. I know other folks have guns and they have prisons to house criminals. Why isn't that enough to deter violent crimes and theft ?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, that's good to know. Do you know what stops me from committing a crime if I thought of committing one ? Consequences. I know other folks have guns and they have prisons to house criminals. Why isn't that enough to deter violent crimes and theft ?

I would like to think that your moral conscience keeps you from committing crimes.

That being said: For those who don't have one, there is the power of the sword.

"All societies of men must be governed in some way or other. The less they may have of stringent State Government, the more they must have of individual self-government. The less they rely on public law or physical force, the more they must rely on private moral restraint. Men, in a word, must necessarily be controlled, either by a power within them, or by a power without them; either by the Word of God, or by the strong arm of man; either by the Bible, or by the bayonet. It may do for other countries and other governments to talk about the State supporting religion. Here, under our own free institutions, it is Religion which must support the State."

Robert Winthrop
Speech to the Massachusetts Bible Society (1849-05-28)