CNN Debate: Cruz vs. Sanders

jeffblue101

Why dont you tell me all about it when it actually happens. Don't hold your breath. And by the way, the reconciliation scheme can't be filibustered. That's why they've talked about doing it that way.

wrong again, there are limits to what can be passed via reconciliation. basically anything that is directly tied to the budget can be changed. So individual mandate can be eliminated but the contraceptive and abortifacient mandate can't be. So without a regular floor vote several costly Obamacare regulations can't be undone by Republicans via reconilation.

VOX:What budget reconciliation can and can’t do
There’s also a strict limit on how often Congress can use budget reconciliation. Basically, it’s limited to one spending/revenue bill per year, or per budget resolution. “Under Senate interpretations of the Congressional Budget Act, the Senate can consider the three basic subjects of reconciliation — spending, revenues, and debt limit — in a single bill or multiple bills, but it can consider each of these three in only one bill per year,” the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities’ David Reich and Richard Kogan write. “This rule is most significant if the first reconciliation bill that the Senate takes up affects both spending and revenues. Even if that bill is overwhelmingly devoted to only one of those subjects, no subsequent reconciliation bill can affect either revenues or spending because the first bill already addressed them.”...

Assuming they get a budget resolution through, it’s a safe bet they’ll use the one reconciliation bill that resolution allows them to try to repeal Obamacare. Whether that’s accompanied by a replacement plan remains to be seen, but Republicans have already demonstrated that they can repeal the main components of the Affordable Care Act through the reconciliation process.

In 2015 and 2016, using reconciliation, they passed the Restoring Americans’ Healthcare Freedom Reconciliation Act of 2015, or HR 3762, a bill designed by House Budget Committee Chair Tom Price (R-GA). The bill would have repealed Obamacare's insurance subsidies, ended its Medicaid expansion, eliminated most of its taxes, and abolished the individual mandate. All of those are budgetary moves affecting spending and revenue, and thus entirely within the bounds of the reconciliation rules. Because the bill didn't undo the Affordable Care Act's cuts to Medicare, the Congressional Budget Office scored it as reducing the deficit, meaning it didn't run afoul of the "can't increase the deficit after 10 years" rule.

The bill didn't repeal most of the non-budgetary elements of Obamacare: banning discrimination against people with preexisting conditions, allowing people 26 and under to stay on their parents' insurance, banning annual/lifetime coverage limits, etc. Those would’ve fallen outside of the bounds of what reconciliation can do.

jeffblue101

They've been talking about "repeal and replace" for at least 7 year. They have nothing. Not even the beginning of a plan. Not even a plan to make a plan. Not even the vague possibility of a plan. I suspect that the plan is going to be cut-and-run: Repeal, but delay the repeal from taking effect until December 2018, after the next election, but the next Congress (unfairly) gets the blame. Either that, or they do nothing. Mark my words, it'll be one of those two things.

this info-graphic tells a different picture. looks like rebulicans are working hard on a replacement to me
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoo...k-about-republican-health-plans/#4285afeb33ba
Forbes-Graphic-1-1200x988.jpg

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 5020 View Post
It was on both sides. Bernie had to answer why he was killing people's business.

I liked his answer. Honest. No pandering. More courage than most politicians would have shown. Not to say the current solution is perfect, but I think there's too much whining about expecting "small" employers to provide insurance.

What was Bernie's answer?

rexlunae

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 5020 View Post
It was on both sides. Bernie had to answer why he was killing people's business.

What was Bernie's answer?

It came down to saying that he didn't think it was unreasonable to expect employers with at least 50 employers to provide health insurance. What was notable was thst he said it to the face of a businessperson who claimed they couldn't afford it.

rexlunae

this info-graphic tells a different picture. looks like rebulicans are working hard on a replacement to me
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoo...k-about-republican-health-plans/#4285afeb33ba
Forbes-Graphic-1-1200x988.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled to be wrong. I really would. And it's certainly true that they've tossed around a few ideas. But I think they're going to find it near impossible to keep all their promises, which include a complete repeal and also no one losing their insurance. And if you add in the expectation that they won't do anything that isn't at least as compliant with conservative ideology as Obamacare, it's hard to imagine what that could be.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It came down to saying that he didn't think it was unreasonable to expect employers with at least 50 employers to provide health insurance. What was notable was thst he said it to the face of a businessperson who claimed they couldn't afford it.

also, bernie recommended that this particular business owner should look for a similar business owner who was providing benefits and figure out what they were doing to make it work

of course, bernie was making the assumption that one existed :chuckle:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
In 1955, Canadian and American life expectancy were approximately the same.

During the early 1970's Canada introduced a universal healthcare system that as a % of national GDP is far less than what America currently spends.

Average life expectancy in Canada is now almost 3 years longer than their America counterparts.

Even when America's "non-white" population is factored out of the calculations, Canadians are still significantly healthier and live longer.

Given that life expectancy is a major indicator of the success of a healthcare system and that Canada is the one nation that most closely resembles America, the question remains as to why the US is not actively considering adopting a similar healthcare system that has already demonstrated to significantly improve life expectancy and at a fraction of the cost?

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2004/WhyDoCanadiansOutliveAmericans.aspx

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Did he say why it wasn't unreasonable? I don't understand the logic of using the number of employees as the determining factor.

This is part of why I'd love to get the employer out of the equation. Another reason is that we wouldn't run into Hobby Lobby situations because employers wouldn't have to make decisions that affect someone's birth control. I believe it was Traditio that made a decent point for why employers should pay for it though. It was something to the effect that employers are part of why health care is needed. I can't be sick because I have to get to work (obviously not talking about serious illness). My employer has a stake in my health so it may not be unreasonable to have them pay for part of it. I guess we should just go single-payer and solve all our problems. :idunno:

I agree with you about liking the honesty though. Policies aren't going to make everyone happy. They won't be suitable for everyone. Politicians should be honest about that.

rexlunae

Did he say why it wasn't unreasonable? I don't understand the logic of using the number of employees as the determining ffactor

It comes from the ACA, based on two lines of reasoning that I know of:

1. While larger employers can be expected to be financially potent enough to offer insurance without serious harm, smaller employers may find it to be a genuine hardship. A cutoff point was therefore added to the employer mandate.

2. The benefit of employer-paid health insurance is that a large employer is able to collectively bargain for a better deal. Smaller employers don't have a lot of bargaining power with insurance companies, so they would be at a disadvantage in negotiations.

Critics often point out, correctly, I think, that this rule favors companies with fewer employees over those with more. It makes it very expensive to hire your 50th employee.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It comes from the ACA, based on two lines of reasoning that I know of:

1. While larger employers can be expected to be financially potent enough to offer insurance without serious harm, smaller employers may find it to be a genuine hardship. A cutoff point was therefore added to the employer mandate.

2. The benefit of employer-paid health insurance is that a large employer is able to collectively bargain for a better deal. Smaller employers don't have a lot of bargaining power with insurance companies, so they would be at a disadvantage in negotiations.

Critics often point out, correctly, I think, that this rule favors companies with fewer employees over those with more. It makes it very expensive to hire your 50th employee.
If employee base is being used as a proxy for financial ability then why not do something with revenue or profits directly. Is there a concern that companies would simply use some accounting tricks to avoid it?

rexlunae

If employee base is being used as a proxy for financial ability then why not do something with revenue or profits directly. Is there a concern that companies would simply use some accounting tricks to avoid it?

In part, because that's hard. You never know in advsnce what your revenue and profits will be. And it doesn't address the collective bargaining disadvantage. Maybe some sort of subsidy that phases in and out...

Or, universal health care as a right, independent of employment.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
In 1955, Canadian and American life expectancy were approximately the same.

During the early 1970's Canada introduced a universal healthcare system that as a % of national GDP is far less than what America currently spends.

Average life expectancy in Canada is now almost 3 years longer than their America counterparts.

Even when America's "non-white" population is factored out of the calculations, Canadians are still significantly healthier and live longer.

Given that life expectancy is a major indicator of the success of a healthcare system and that Canada is the one nation that most closely resembles America, the question remains as to why the US is not actively considering adopting a similar healthcare system that has already demonstrated to significantly improve life expectancy and at a fraction of the cost?

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2004/WhyDoCanadiansOutliveAmericans.aspx

you're making two false assumptions

1. that the canadian population is similar enough to ours to be an apt comparison
2. that the difference in life expectancy is due to their "universal health care" system

having pointed that out, I was amazed that bammy decided to created his fiasco out of whole cloth instead of copying aspects of the more successful models that are out there - canada's ok, scandanavians are better, england sucks

again, to touch on canada - there's a lot of dissatisfaction in canada with the quality and availability of the basic provided health care

and those who can afford to buy additional coverage

fool

Hall of Fame
If I only had a dime for every time I've said the same thing. :up:

Or:
If you had back every dollar you ever spent on Insurance you wouldn't need insurance.
Because you'd have the money.