Coal/Manufacturing Companies call for climate deal in Paris

Alate_One

Quite a few large mining and other multinational corporations have called for a climate agreement at the meeting in Paris later this year.

A new climate
agreement in Paris can help strengthen the
role of, and minimize risks to, the private sector in a number of ways:

Providing Long-Term Direction

–An aim of progressively decarbonizing the global economy
can provide a clearer signal to markets to shift long-term investments toward energy efficiency and other lower carbon alternatives.

Promoting Transparency
–Requiring countries to be transparent about their policy intentions and implementation can provide greater clarity on domestic policy landscapes,better enabling companies to anticipate regulatory risks and economic opportunities.

Addressing Competitiveness
–Agreement by all major economies to contribute their fair share, and to simultaneously and regularly renew their contributions, can lead over time towards a greater comparability of effort, helping to ease concerns about potential carbon leakage and competitive imbalances.

Facilitating Carbon Pricing
–Requiring countries choosing to employ international carbon trading to ensure the environmental integrity of these transactions can help facilitate the growth and credibility of the global carbon market, a critical tool for cost effective emissions reduction.

We stand ready to work with governments
and our civil society partners
to deliver and implement a sensible and effective global climate agreement in Paris.

Signatories:

ALCOA
ALSTOM
BHP BILLITON
BP
CALPINE
HP
INTEL
LAFARGEHOLCIM
NATIONAL GRID
PG&E
RIO TINTO
SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC
SHELL
SIEMENS CORPORATION

source

So if it's not real, why do these corporations want a deal?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Pretending to play along to curry favor in business does not equal to agreement...you cannot be this naive. You really should poke your head outside academia to understand how the world really works, I am quite sure if you heard the commentary behind the closed boardroom doors of these corporations you would hear the ridicule of this charade first hand....but hey!, if it gives you & the rest of the liberal climate nutters a warm fuzzy than jotting their name on a list did it's job to give you the illusion that someone really cares. :chuckle:

Alate_One

Pretending to play along to curry favor in business does not equal to agreement...you cannot be this naive. You really should poke your head outside academia to understand how the world really works, I am quite sure if you heard the commentary behind the closed boardroom doors of these corporations you would hear the ridicule of this charade first hand....but hey!, if it gives you & the rest of the liberal climate nutters a warm fuzzy than jotting their name on a list did it's job to give you the illusion that someone really cares. :chuckle:

But why not keep doing what Exxon did? Promote the controversy. Why sign something if you know it's actually a hoax?

Why would coal oil and gas companies have any interest in what "liberal climate nutters" think? It's not like they're ever going to be good customers or advocates.

Do the meat packing companies pander to the PETA crowd? Not last I checked.

I think it makes a heck of a lot more sense that they are seeing the writing on the wall, and don't want to suffer an extreme policy reaction when the public realizes what's going on. Delaying just gives them more uncertainty.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
But why not keep doing what Exxon did? Promote the controversy. Why sign something if you know it's actually a hoax?

Why would coal oil and gas companies have any interest in what "liberal climate nutters" think? It's not like they're ever going to be good customers or advocates.

It's obviously just good business to play along to get along, it is all about perceptions when dealing with ideologues. You gotta make them think you care to get them off your back..."keep your friends close & your enemies closer".

Do the meat packing companies pander to the PETA crowd? Not last I checked.

If they saw PETA as a threat to their business model you can bet they would find a way to appease them. Face it PETA isn't a threat, it is an annoyance.

I think it makes a heck of a lot more sense that they are seeing the writing on the wall, and don't want to suffer an extreme policy reaction when the public realizes what's going on. Delaying just gives them more uncertainty.

Now that is great example of what you think they are thinking, when in reality you can bet your sweet bippy that every company you listed is playing along and betting a new administration will throw this climate change bologna where it belongs...in the ash heap.

Alate_One

It's obviously just good business to play along to get along, it is all about perceptions when dealing with ideologues. You gotta make them think you care to get them off your back..."keep your friends close & your enemies closer".
:chuckle: That's not what big tobacco did. Not until they were forced to deal with the facts they already knew.

If they saw PETA as a threat to their business model you can bet they would find a way to appease them. Face it PETA isn't a threat, it is an annoyance.
If it wasn't a threat, why would they lobby for laws against filming in CAFOs? It's indirect in that they're worried the public will demand expensive action of them.

Now that is great example of what you think they are thinking, when in reality you can bet your sweet bippy that every company you listed is playing along and betting a new administration will throw this climate change bologna where it belongs...in the ash heap.
Administrations don't get to throw science out. They can pretend it doesn't exist for a while, but eventually it comes back to bite you.

The rest of the world doesn't take the US republican party position.

quip

BANNED
Banned

Or...it's entirely true and we can all remain cool and fuzzy!

win-win :up:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
:chuckle: That's not what big tobacco did. Not until they were forced to deal with the facts they already knew.

Yea, and they still make billions peddling their wares outside of the U.S. market...now that was a win!

If it wasn't a threat, why would they lobby for laws against filming in CAFOs? It's indirect in that they're worried the public will demand expensive action of them.

O.K., if you say so...Obviously they have you convinced, which is exactly what they are after. :up:

Administrations don't get to throw science out. They can pretend it doesn't exist for a while, but eventually it comes back to bite you.

Sure they do...just as former administrations have discarded other fear mongering agenda's in the past. This too shall pass...right into the next invented pseudo-crisis.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:think: I tend to agree with rocketman on this. I don't give big business the benefit of the doubt. They are probably hoping to use this as a tool. They can say, 'look at this, we are trying to work with you, now don't be so hard on us about this other thing'.

I'll remain hopeful that good things will come from this though. :up:

Alate_One

What good things? More useless government regulation to prop up an invented crisis?

I wish it were an invented crisis. But you sound like the people that thought pollution was an invented crisis back in the 1970s. Of course the public decided otherwise when they saw the valley of the drums and rivers catching on fire.

GuySmiley

Quite a few large mining and other multinational corporations have called for a climate agreement at the meeting in Paris later this year.
Large established companies don't care about new regulation, they can afford to absorb and pass along costs to customers. Supporting the climate agreement gets them good PR and it makes the industry harder to break into by a startup. This just solidifies their hold.

quip

BANNED
Banned
It's your fantasy, it can end the way you wish...:up:

Well, thank you but you seem to miss the point: What's the harm in pretending and acting as its real? Perhaps the fantasy is real...then humanity wins, if not...then humanity wins! :banana:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Large established companies don't care about new regulation, they can afford to absorb and pass along costs to customers. Supporting the climate agreement gets them good PR and it makes the industry harder to break into by a startup. This just solidifies their hold.

:think: interesting thought. Though I imagine the energy industry is already pretty hard to break in to. Perhaps get in on the fringes and provide new technology to the main providers. :idunno:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Well, thank you but you seem to miss the point: What's the harm in pretending and acting as its real? Perhaps the fantasy is real...then humanity wins, if not...then humanity wins! :banana:

Well you can expend as much energy as you please on this fallacy, I will continue to live life as I please, with no concern for my rather large carbon footprint. I don't worry about fear mongers with an agenda, or their invented pseudo crisis'. Life is too short to chase phantoms...

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Pretty much how I see it as well but, then again I live in the real world where reality trumps hysterical theories.