Compulsory education a Godly idea?

hitek357

This thread could easily go into Exclusively Christian Theology, or ..."the rest", or maybe even somewhere else, but I'm interested in discovering through discussion how Christian folks feel about compulsory education (or what they believe about it).

I KNOW that folks here almost certainly oppose the idea of public education, but an even lower layer of the problem is the underlying idea of compulsory education. It even came first historically; is there a relationship? Such as support for "abortion rights" will of necessity precede support for publicly funded abortion? Or is there another relationship or none at all?

I believe that one bad idea follows another, that ideas have consequences, and compulsory education leads fools to believe that others should also pay for theirs. The problem is related to the idea that "Liberals don't care what you do as long as it's compulsory", but backwards, since if the government makes something a Responsibility (compulsory), soon the people will see it as a Right (to be paid for by others).

If I'm wrong, then please help me to correct my thinking.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
hitek357 said:
This thread could easily go into Exclusively Christian Theology, or ..."the rest", or maybe even somewhere else, but I'm interested in discovering through discussion how Christian folks feel about compulsory education (or what they believe about it).

I KNOW that folks here almost certainly oppose the idea of public education, but an even lower layer of the problem is the underlying idea of compulsory education. It even came first historically; is there a relationship? Such as support for "abortion rights" will of necessity precede support for publicly funded abortion? Or is there another relationship or none at all?

I believe that one bad idea follows another, that ideas have consequences, and compulsory education leads fools to believe that others should also pay for theirs. The problem is related to the idea that "Liberals don't care what you do as long as it's compulsory", but backwards, since if the government makes something a Responsibility (compulsory), soon the people will see it as a Right (to be paid for by others).

If I'm wrong, then please help me to correct my thinking.
Education is not compulsory as long as you go to public school.