Concerning Stupidity

fzappa13

I think Bonhoeffer is on to something here. Stupidity is not so much a psychological problem as it is a sociological problem.

Gary K

Banned
I think Bonhoeffer is on to something here. Stupidity is not so much a psychological problem as it is a sociological problem.

I agree with Derf. The problem is one of spiritual discernment. The German people did not recognize evil when they saw it or chose to ignore it if they did because Hitler had reversed their economic crisis.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of World that it leaves to its children," Bonhoeffer once said.

That's why I know the American framers are the real Greatest Generation in American history, no disrespect to the WWII Greatest Generation intended, but this is like Tom Brady versus Joe Montana, but you've got to give the nod to the real G.O.A.T.

I didn't view the video, but Bob Enyart agreed with Bohnhoeffer by saying "Stupid doesn't make you sin, but sin makes you stupid."
I say demons make you stupid. Or listening to them. Witness Eve.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

In my experience here at TOL I've recognized that listening to deceptive / stupid people tends to make one stupid. Consider the leftist/liberals here who have their heads filled daily with mush from CNN, MSNBC, BBC, etc

Derf

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of World that it leaves to its children," Bonhoeffer once said.

That's why I know the American framers are the real Greatest Generation in American history, no disrespect to the WWII Greatest Generation intended, but this is like Tom Brady versus Joe Montana, but you've got to give the nod to the real G.O.A.T.

I say demons make you stupid. Or listening to them. Witness Eve.
With a nod to @JudgeRightly, Jesus listened to Satan (heard what he said, since He replied to it), but He didn't listen to Satan (to do what he said). Thus sin, which Adam and Eve did, made them and all of us stupid, despite it being a tree of knowledge. But fear of the Lord is the beginning (and end, I suppose) of true knowledge.

Idolater

In my experience here at TOL I've recognized that listening to deceptive / stupid people tends to make one stupid.
But which comes first, the chicken (being stupid) or the eggs (consuming stupidity)?

Consider the leftist/liberals here who have their heads filled daily with mush from CNN, MSNBC, BBC, etc
I read CNN because it's free (cf. N.Y. Times and W.S.J. and Financial Times and The Economist which are all paywalls) and I already know that any journalistic slant is a Democratic party slant. CNN is a known quantity iow, so I can actually get a good idea of what's going on in the World. It's like if you're wearing red glasses you know that red things are going to appear white. Knowing that (and not forgetting), you'll be OK.

Last edited:

Idolater

... Jesus listened to Satan ...
Granted. The progression was from sin making you stupid (the original idea), to demons making you stupid, to listening to demons making you stupid, to obeying demons making you stupid. Granted. And therefore also agreed.

... (heard what he said, since He replied to it), but He didn't listen to Satan (to do what he said).
My point, and I think it's exemplified in Our Lord's temptation by the Devil, is that the demonic proposal or suggestion or idea doesn't have to be to sin, in order for it to be stupid to obey it. Demonic ideas aren't always sinful, but they are stupid to obey them.

Thus sin, which Adam and Eve did, made them and all of us stupid, despite it being a tree of knowledge. But fear of the Lord is the beginning (and end, I suppose) of true knowledge.
There are two things I keep in mind; what I'm going to believe and what I'm going to do. I recognize that what I'm going to believe is more important in a sense than what I'm going to do, but also that what I'm going to believe will necessarily and automatically bear on what I'm going to do. The logic from believing to doing flows naturally whereas the feedback flowing from doing, back to believing (or thinking), can terminate. At a certain state, you might not be considering what you're doing, to have any bearing at all on what you're thinking. I think it could be either a good state or a bad state, depending entirely on whether what you're doing is good or bad.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
But which comes first, the chicken (being stupid) or the eggs (consuming stupidity)?

I read CNN because it's free (cf. N.Y. Times and W.S.J. and Financial Times and The Economist which are all paywalls) and I already know that any journalistic slant is a Democratic party slant. CNN is a known quantity iow, so I can actually get a good idea of what's going on in the World. It's like if you're wearing red glasses you know that red things are going to appear white. Knowing that (and not forgetting), you'll be OK.
Similarly for me with PBS and BBC and the CBC