Could Amazon be an example for other companies?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/19/t...ng-game-yielded-a-retail-juggernaut.html?_r=0

I thought this was an interesting article about Amazon. I've heard in the past that Amazon's shopping business really didn't generate much profit, but that could be changing. Patience may be paying off.

Yet the disclosure of A.W.S.’s size has obscured a deeper change at Amazon. For years, observers have wondered if Amazon’s shopping business — you know, its main business — could ever really work. Investors gave Mr. Bezos enormous leeway to spend billions building out a distribution-center infrastructure, but it remained a semi-open question if the scale and pace of investments would ever pay off. Could this company ever make a whole lot of money selling so much for so little?

As we embark upon another holiday shopping season, the answer is becoming clear: Yes, Amazon can make money selling stuff. In the flood of rapturous reviews from stock analysts over the company’s earnings report last month, several noted that Amazon’s retail operations had reached a “critical scale” or an “inflection point.” They meant that Amazon’s enormous investments in infrastructure and logistics have begun to pay off. The company keeps capturing a larger slice of American and even international purchases. It keeps attracting more users to its Prime fast-shipping subscription program, and, albeit slowly, it is beginning to scratch out higher profits from shoppers.

Why is Amazon so far ahead? It is difficult to resist marveling at the way Mr. Bezos has built his indomitable shopping machine, and the very real advantages in price and convenience that he has brought to America’s national pastime of buying stuff. What has been key to this rise, and missing from many of his competitors’ efforts, is patience. In a very old-fashioned manner, one that is far out of step with a corporate world in which milestones are measured every three months, Amazon has been willing to build its empire methodically and at great cost over almost two decades, despite skepticism from many sectors of the business world.

Now those investments are beginning to bear fruit. It’s happening in fulfillment, which is the business term for filling and shipping orders. Amazon has built more than 100 warehouses from which to package and ship goods, and it hasn’t really slowed its pace in establishing more. Because the warehouses speed up Amazon’s shipping, encouraging more shopping, the costs of these centers is becoming an ever-smaller fraction of Amazon’s operations.

Maybe Amazon could be an example to other companies and investors about how you can look beyond the next quarterly profit. You can succeed by having a long-term vision and goal.

One area in which I think this could be particularly important right now is renewable energy.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/19/t...ng-game-yielded-a-retail-juggernaut.html?_r=0

I thought this was an interesting article about Amazon. I've heard in the past that Amazon's shopping business really didn't generate much profit, but that could be changing. Patience may be paying off.

Maybe Amazon could be an example to other companies and investors about how you can look beyond the next quarterly profit. You can succeed by having a long-term vision and goal.

One area in which I think this could be particularly important right now is renewable energy.

He employed the same concept as other retail type chains but he did it for wholesale business. Strategically placing warehouses all across the country so they dominate shipping and buying. Wal Mart will do the same

kmoney

Hall of Fame
He employed the same concept as other retail type chains but he did it for wholesale business. Strategically placing warehouses all across the country so they dominate shipping and buying. Wal Mart will do the same

Would it work the same way for Walmart though? They have retail stores across the country. From the article:

Walmart, which on Tuesday published earnings that came in slightly above analysts’ expectations, is also spending billions to slow Amazon’s roll. But Walmart said that in its latest quarter, e-commerce sales had grown only 10 percent from a year ago. Amazon’s retail sales rose 20 percent during the same period.

It doesn't go into any explanation about why Walmart grew at only 10%. One advantage Walmart has is that you can buy online and have it shipped to a store for pickup.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
That sounds like a disadvantage compared to Amazon's home delivery model.

I live in a house where I have to be careful about what I have shipped there. An option to pick up in store can be nice. I often have things shipped to someone else's house that is more secure and then pick it up there.

rexlunae

I worked at Amazon briefly about ten years ago. It's a good company that seems to actually try to do right by its employees and its customers. The thing about the company is that it plans on the very long term. Who cares if you are making any money when you're building a business that the whole world will need in a decade?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It doesn't go into any explanation about why Walmart grew at only 10%.

Failed business models. It really isn't that different from taxes. Higher margin, less revenue. I find it strange how people see the standards and failures and think they can make the failure work.

I shop less and less at Wal-Mart because of one small thing. The self checkout is something I won't do. I have walked in for a few things and left at the counter including the cart because of the line and almost no lines open. Wrong answer. Sam is wondering how his kids got so stupid. You don't think a billion dollar business can fail? It can.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
What amazes me is the value of Facebook now. It's old news but worth billions ? And Twitter. Fortunes made because people love to talk and type and send pictures. We're all just overgrown kids !!

rexlunae

What amazes me is the value of Facebook now. It's old news but worth billions ? And Twitter. Fortunes made because people love to talk and type and send pictures. We're all just overgrown kids !!

The most valuable thing in the world right now is information. But it's only valuable if you can understand it. Facebook has potentially more information about the people in the world than even Google. That's worth a lot.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The most valuable thing in the world right now is information. But it's only valuable if you can understand it. Facebook has potentially more information about the people in the world than even Google. That's worth a lot.

True, it's impossible to stay off the grid nowadays unless you're a terrorist

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Bezos is a very patient guy from what I have seen, he also owns an aerospace company called Blue Origin which has built rocket engines as well as a new reusable rocket which unlike Elon Musk's Spacex has flown & landed without incident. In comparison with his rival "the hare", Elon Musk, Bezos is "the tortoise" but, I also believe that he is positioning himself to be strong competitor against Musks Spacex which has more pomp than actual pop in the industry. Musk's angle is to talk himself into the lead slot where Bezos slowly plods methodically and actually doing it. Bezos has been contracted to build the next rocket engine for the nations largest launch provider United Launch Alliance for their next generation rocket "Vulcan". The point I am making is that Bezos is methodical in his business approach and it has paid off not just at Amazon but, probably for all his ventures.

Last edited:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Bezos will probably be the first to take commercial passengers to experience spaceflight...that's right! spaceflight for the common man will soon be a reality. Very cool video of Blue's rocket launching and landing successfully.

Blue Origin New Shepard

kmoney

Hall of Fame

I put almost nothing on Facebook. I don't want them knowing about me. :noid:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Bezos is a very patient guy from what I have seen, he also owns an aerospace company called Blue Origin which has built rocket engines as well as a new reusable rocket which unlike Elon Musk's Spacex has flown & landed without incident. In comparison with his rival "the hare", Elon Musk, Bezos is "the tortoise" but, I also believe that he is positioning himself to be strong competitor against Musks Spacex which has more pomp than actual pop in the industry. Musk's angle is to talk himself into the lead slot where Bezos slowly plods methodically and actually doing it. Bezos has been contracted to build the next rocket engine for the nations largest launch provider United Launch Alliance for their next generation rocket "Vulcan". The point I am making is that Bezos is methodical in his business approach and it has paid off not just at Amazon but, probably for all his ventures.

Very interesting. I hadn't heard about his space ventures. Thanks for the info. I feel like Bezos, and the investors backing him, could teach some lessons to others. :up: