Cursive writing

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is hilarious!!! As far as cursive writing goes, I printed everything from the internet and taught my kids.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I've read more than once that writing by hand is better for your thought processes than using a keyboard.

Here's one look at the idea:

What's Lost as Handwriting Fades

I've also read that cursive is better than printing for processing your thoughts. That could be the case for some, but I don't know how universal it is. People are all so different in their creative expression.

When it comes to thinking and creativity, for me it's a mixed bag. I write lists (in printing) to sort and frame my thoughts. It's a slower process. I take class notes by hand (in a sort of printing/cursive hybrid) and I agree with the article in this, because when I have to condense the ideas and information I'm hearing into shorter phrases and restate them in my own words, there's some brain/body connection in the act of combining intake, process, and outflow that seems to connect it all together better than it would if I was typing notes on a laptop.

But when I write (whether it's creative writing of any kind, MLA or APA papers or a PM to a friend) it's always on my PC. I can't imagine writing a novel in longhand, although I know many a famous author has done just that, but it's not for me. This is a part of technology that I love, because the ability to type as fast as the ideas are tumbling out of my mind is exhilarating at times. Kind of a writer's high. Once it's down I can do all the paring, polishing, whatever, that needs to be done, but I had to capture the whirlwind first, and I couldn't do it the same without a keyboard.

(To my friends who've gotten a PM from me that was raw, unfiltered whirlwind - thank you for putting up with me. :eek:)

I hope kids continue to learn cursive. I think it's very helpful to young developing brains in the ways the article I linked to described, and they need to be able to read the cursive writing of others even if they don't end up using it themselves.

In a way that words on a screen can never be, words that are handwritten are the unique expression of a person - of the personality, style, and mood that's all their own. They leave a part of themselves in every line... the DNA of their mind, in a way.

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
Cursive has become obsolete.
For one, it is something largely among women. I haven't seen many men write in cursive unless it's applied in their signature.

As well, the technological age we live in is all about normal print.

And lastly, I hate cursive. Unless you are an old school, 18th century man who replaces all the S's with F's and whatnot, back when writing in and of itself was artistic, please don't ask me to read your scribble :up:

meshak

BANNED
Banned
In many cases, it is hard to read cursive writing.

My cursive is hard to read if I don't write slowly which is so annoying.

Morpheus

I just love the way people simply assume that technology will continue to advance. It was onily 150 years ago that the typewriter was invented. As quickly as technology has advanced, it can evaporate even quicker. Of all the skills that have been deemed by some as obsolete, I have already seen occasions where older craftsmen have had to be sought out when the newest, best thing just didn't cut it for one reason or another. The problem is that once a skill becomes extinct, if technology fails then we will have to rebuild lost, manual, time-saving skills from scratch. We already have young people who can not do math without technology. You can call me a pessimist, but as self-destructive a species as we are, who knows what the future holds? Our technology may very well be society's undoing. Bombs? Hackers? Global apocalypse?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Cursive has become obsolete.
For one, it is something largely among women. I haven't seen many men write in cursive unless it's applied in their signature.

As well, the technological age we live in is all about normal print.

And lastly, I hate cursive. Unless you are an old school, 18th century man who replaces all the S's with F's and whatnot, back when writing in and of itself was artistic, please don't ask me to read your scribble :up:

young 'uns. lol - it's worth learning. can you print ? math without a calculator ? why bother. we have thumbs :duh:

shagster01

I just love the way people simply assume that technology will continue to advance. It was onily 150 years ago that the typewriter was invented. As quickly as technology has advanced, it can evaporate even quicker. Of all the skills that have been deemed by some as obsolete, I have already seen occasions where older craftsmen have had to be sought out when the newest, best thing just didn't cut it for one reason or another. The problem is that once a skill becomes extinct, if technology fails then we will have to rebuild lost, manual, time-saving skills from scratch. We already have young people who can not do math without technology. You can call me a pessimist, but as self-destructive a species as we are, who knows what the future holds? Our technology may very well be society's undoing. Bombs? Hackers? Global apocalypse?

I 100% agree with this post.

However, I do fail to see how cursive writing fits into it. Do you forsee a scenerio where technology fails and the day will be saved by someone who knows cursive?

And do you feel the same about calligraphy?

OCTOBER23

GRAPHOLOGY - THE STUDY OF PSYCHOLOGY IN HANDWRITING

CAN TELL THE CHILD'S POTENTIAL PROCLIVITIES TOWARD FUTURE CAREERS.

Go to the Library and get a book on it.
==========================

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
young 'uns. lol - it's worth learning. can you print ? math without a calculator ? why bother. we have thumbs :duh:

Did you really neg rep me for my post :D. Does God write in cursive or something?

Anyhow, cursive actually is obsolete, it's just solid fact. We live in a digital age, cursive is an art and not an intuitive asset in this age. It's about as important as putting terms in a search-and-find for kids- just something to do.

The Berean

I'm an engineer and I love reading about how engineers worked and solved problems in the past. I believe there is always some that can be learned by learning about our past. I'm starting to reach that "Get of my lawn!" stage of my engineering career. I do love to learn new things but some things I chose not to embrace. For example I hate tablets. I prefer to carry a notebook to work meetings. I prefer reading actual books. Yes, I know I can get a tablet that stores a bazillion books. But there is something "human" about reading an actual book.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
We already have young people who can not do math without technology.

if only there was some way that we could archive all this old knowledge

Spoiler
calculushomework.jpg

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cursive writing

Christians shouldn't be discussing cursive writing. The Bible says 'let no unclean word pass my lips!'
'Let your yes, be yes' applies to writing as well as speaking. So stop being vulgar!

Isn't your attitude and what you posted here allowing unclean words/thoughts come out of your mind and lips? Why so judgmental?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Isn't your attitude and what you posted here allowing unclean words/thoughts come out of your mind and lips? Why so judgmental?

Oh dear! You missed the joke.
Never mind.
Try this one:
My mother in law is so fat she's on both sides of the family. If you get in an elevator with her, make sure you only want to go down.
Haven't spoken to her for over three years now.
It's not that we've had an argument, but I just don't like to interrupt her.
Having her to visit does have its advantages. When she walks in the house, the mice rush out of their holes, stick their paws up in the air and freeze.

There. Are you happier now?

OCTOBER23

Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book,

even to the time of the end:

many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh dear! You missed the joke.
Never mind.
Try this one:
My mother in law is so fat she's on both sides of the family. If you get in an elevator with her, make sure you only want to go down.
Haven't spoken to her for over three years now.
It's not that we've had an argument, but I just don't like to interrupt her.
Having her to visit does have its advantages. When she walks in the house, the mice rush out of their holes, stick their paws up in the air and freeze.

There. Are you happier now?

Ok, I'm sorry. I get it now. :chuckle: